If YOU were a character in Pillars, what would you look like?

What class would you be, what race, what would your stats look like?

I thought this might be a fun thread to make and thought it'd be interesting to see what people come up with. The idea is to make a semi-accurate representation of yourself as a Pillars character, solely in the interest of seeing what kind of characters and character diversity we come I'm with here on the forums and amongst our community.

Here's how it works

1. First, ask yourself what race you would be. Since obviously we're all human but that might be a tad boring if all of us choose human as our race, ask yourself if you fit the mold of one of the fictional races. For example, are you freakishly tall? Maybe you can be an Aumana. Are you from Hawaii or some other island? Be an Island aumaua. Are you freakishly short? Be a dwarf. Do you live in the middle of nowhere in Canada or Russia? Boreal dwarf! Are you often marginalized and/or you are a registered member of tumblr? Be a Hearth Orlan! Are you italian and you've read all the backround info on Old Vailia and it's culture and feel it rings true with some of your own? Then be an ocean human.

There is no exact system to this, and if you want, you can opt to be a normal human and simply pick the subspecies of human that best matches your skin tone. What's important is you pick a race (and subrace) and name why you are a member of that race. Your argument could be as simple as "Aumaua are big and stronk and I too am tall and swole" or it could be based on something complex that makes you feel as though you relate to that race. Just pick one and name why that race relates to you and reflects who you are. Please do not end up going "I'm a moon godlike because I think it's the strongest subrace and I wanna have a strong character lolz," the point of this thread is to see the diversity our community has, not what the meta is.

2. Pick a Class. Again it's quite simple. You're simply looking at the classes and thinking which one best reflects you and what you're capable of. Are you intelligent? Wizard probably suits you. Are you good at getting in people's heads, persuasion and manipulation? Sounds like a Cipher. Are you a great storyteller and entertainer? Chanter sounds like a great option. Maybe you just really love animals or you're a big fan of archery or firearms, so you're a Ranger. ARE YOU A GOD DAMNED FURRY?? Druid is ready to not judge you! Hurray! Are you physically strong, healthy and durable? Fighter! Do you consider yourself a religious individual? Be a Priest or Paladin and pick the order that most rings true with your beliefs and outlook.

Again it's quite simple. You're just making a case for why that class suits you and who you are. And again, please do not be like "I'm a Cipher cuz it's a strong class and I wanna be strong lol."

After you've chosen a class, you might name what talents you've chosen and why. For example maybe you chose Barb as your class and you have anger issues you admit to, so Frenzy was your starting talent and talents you choose are offense-focused. Or maybe you don't have anger issues but your friends and family often tell you you have a loud voice, so you picked Barbaric Yell instead. Maybe you're a Cipher with great capacity to persuade people and mess with their heads, so your talents are all ailment based. Or maybe you lack such skills, so you only deal raw damage. You get the idea.

3. Pick your stat card.

For this, please refer to the descriptions of the stats. For example, Resolve is listed as such:

Resolve reflects a character's internal drive, determination, fearlessness, and the emotional intensity they can project to others. It can be useful for mental intimidation, leadership, and convincing performances. In combat, it helps characters maintain Concentration and contributes to the Will and Deflection defenses.

See the bolded and underlined? Ask yourself how much that description applies to you, then try to determine how many points in Resolve you've earned. Maybe you have plenty of internal drive and determination, but you're by no means fearless and you lack emotional intensity, so you end up at around a 10.  So you've got your 10, but you consider yourself not SUPER determined, so you drop it to a 9.

Just do that with all of the stats. Pretty straightforward, no? Since half of Might's description is "magic talent," consider that a freebie and give yourself as many points as you'd like there while still adhering partially to the physical strength portion.

DO NOT focus so much on optimizing your stats for the sake of a practical build within the game. Focus on who you are, and we'll either be amazed at how well it translates or how hilariously bad it doesn't.

Any stat descriptions can be found here: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Attribute

If you don't know off the top of your head, stats default at 10 and you get an additional 15 to put where you want, alongside some additional stats you'll get from race and culture.

4. Culture?

Which backround country best reflects your own, and which job description best reflects your own? Read the descriptions of them, see what seems to fit the geography and/or culture of where you live, then pick a backround that suits you or your job or lack thereof. Again, just name your country and job description, then explain why you came to that conclusion.

5. Misc stuff

If you want to, feel free to include little things like perhaps which character avatar you'd use or which weapon/armor type you would use. Any little extra tidbits you feel like adding, whether it be the entire character talent sheet all the way up to level 12, the skills you'd focus on, the belief system you'd adhere to, the dialog type you'd be gravitated towards, the color of the uniform you'd wear or the faction you'd kill off to steal their sweet fashion - anything extra you feel is worth adding or mentioning.

As I said, point of this was just to see the diversity of the community and what kind of characters end up being produces. I think it could be entertaining to see what class or race we end up seeing the most of, or how practical/impractical our stat sheets end up looking.

Hopefully people actually get some entertainment out of this, I'll post what my own character would look like in a moment.

• Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Glad to see everybody is showing discontent and would rather be their favorite companion. :p

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Glad to see everybody is showing discontent and would rather be their favorite companion. :p

I was serious. I would have a bit different stats, for example lower Might (at least its physical side), I'd probably stay a farmer instead of turning into a soldier, but generally it's pretty close. I'm less religious, but I don't think it factors into the character sheet.

edit: After consideration, I'd almost certainly dabble in magic. Goldpact paladin? Except I'm not zealous. Maybe a wizard then, but I think dualclassing would fit better.

Edited by Rosveen

I'll go with what I'd like to be. I'm too boring to translate myself to a game character.

Female - Wood Elf - Ranger - Ixamitl Plains
Stag Companion (goes well with Ixamitl Plains)

MIG 16
CON 8
DEX 15
PER 13
INT 12
RES 14
Edited by DocDoomII

Lawful Good Thiefling Paladin, but we don't have that so I guess...

Ragtag Human - Savannah folk - Ixamitl Plains - Traveling Merchant (Sadly we don't have that on drifter)

12 12 12 16 14 12

Ranger, because the road to Old Vailia can be lonely.

Perception, trading demands it.

Perception represents a character's senses as well as their instinctive ability to pick up on details. In interactions, it can be used to catch someone in a lie, to make an observant comment about their appearance, or to notice something happening in the background.

Probably gonna pick a lot of animal companion talents and be only decent with the bow, while keeping a shield for dire situations.

I'm going to be killed by a bear.

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.

I'm not sure if I should just rename the thread "which character do you wanna be exactly like" or let it continue, given responses thusfar. :p

Anyways, mine would look something like this:

-Meadow Human cause I'm white as hell Aryan dude with long blonde hair wtf, and I suck at anything fantasy; none of the races jump at me

-Cipher cause something about it speaks to me. I view "messing with and manipulating people's minds" akin to convincing them and understanding them, both of which I good at. (yay for sounding arrogant) Runner up prize to Chanter cause hell yeah for ghetto midevil entertainers, I'd TOTALLY sing songs at people doing the actual work.

Constitution up cause I know enduring pain from surgeries, Dex up cause quick with hands and reaction time, Perception up because I do well with picking up on what people are like or spotting lies, Int up cause I have a massive ego and think I'm Stephen Hawking (complimenting one's Int always seems so arrogant). Might was more or less left there for modest physical strength, Resolve I brought down cause my determination and drive are total ass. I dun has those.

-Went with Aedyr as backround because "largest empire" and I'm a citizen of both the USA and Germany. Picked Drifter because I started in San Francisco and now live in Germany; I think I've earned my drifter badge.

Most of my Cipher talents would revolve around things like charm and confusion rather than raw damage.

I would probably wield a pistol because it seems like the most simple and straightforward to use weapon type. I'd also prefer to not wear armor cause wtf that stuff is heavy. Leather or Chainmail's not so heavy so those would be fine, but anything heavier? Screw that.

Edited by Longknife

My appearance is my current avatar, since there is no Inquisitor class, guess I'd be a Goldpact Paladin.

My background The White Wind that Wends, explorer.

Status

17 might, 12 con, 10 dex, 12 perception, 14 int, 13 resolve

My gear, I'd sport either a breastplate or a full plate, my arms would be polearms, Halberd, Poleaxe and the Lucerne Hammer.(But given that only the Poleaxe is available in PoE currently, I'd stay with it)

My predominant characteristics would be rational, benevolent and aggressive( I can be a hot head sometimes x.x)

Peasant human belonging in meadow folk

stat lines is probably near

3 3 3 3 3 3

Wanna go on an adventure with me, the paladin and the two rangers so we can all get eaten by bears together?

3 3 3 3 3 3

Wanna go on an adventure with me, the paladin and the two rangers so we can all get eaten by bears together?

Lets do it :)

Okay fine.

Meadow human (tall, blond). Rogue 'cause I'm into very much into figuring out how things work (mechanics). From White that Wends because that's where I'm from. Explorer background because I've traveled and lived in lots of different places.

Stats: MIG 11 (average strength) CON 14 (relatively healthy :knocks on wood:), DEX 16 (I have unusually fast reflexes), INT 18 (yeah I'm a genius, deal with it),  PER 8 (somewhat naive, somewhat absent-minded, not naturally good at observing or noticing things), RES 6 (terrible willpower, low pain threshold, easy to troll).

As a rogue I'd stack up on Mechanics and Lore, and use the bejeezus out of scrolls everybody else has made. Talent-wise I would go with a gunner build because I'm kind of a coward and prefer hurting people from a safe distance.

Also I'd pick this portrait 'cuz it kind of looks like me even though it's for an elf and I'm blond-going-gray rather than red-haired:

PillarsofEternityCharacterPortrait5.jpg

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

3 3 3 3 3 3

Lets do it :)

The journey continues...

j8KQ47sQtnoi.840x0.Vdef9Kkm.jpg

• Like 1

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.

Here's the plan squad:

Elerond is the bait. Let's hope he stays alive long enough for us to shoot the bears dead. If not, we shall then hope the ranger's pets can survive so that we are not forced to abandon their beloved furry companions. If the animals die too, then good luck to our Paladin who lacks the distance advantage neccesary to make a successful retreat.

Should it come to that, I will meet you guys at the local inn where we can drink away our sorrows.

Sucker that I am, I actually thought about this and answered it seriously.

Sex: Male

Because I'm male. :>

Race: Wood Elf

Because I'm a bit intellectually inclined and because I focus a lot on emotions, which seems like an Elvish thing. Wood Elves are also described as isolationist, which kind of fits. Also I used to be a Boy Scout?

Class: Chanter

Because I'm also singing all the time while doing other stuff. :p And because the class speaks to me, as it regards our lives as interweaving storylines and sees the beauty in that. Of course, I also study physics, so the Wizard class was a close second (I always translate real-life science to arcane studies in fantasy RPGs). But I think I'm really more of a Chanter. I love stories.

Attributes: MIG 12, CON 9, DEX 12, PER 17, INT 17, RES 11 (or, with less of the "I'm a hero" bonus: MIG 10, CON 8, DEX 10, PER 13, INT 14, RES 10)

Unfortunately, my attributes would be pretty rubbish for a Chanter! I'm good at noticing details and at interpreting other people's reactions correctly, and I'm quite intelligent. But I'm not very muscular and a bit clumsy sometimes. And while I can be good at debates and arguments, I really have to care about something if I want to convince people of it. And even then I often go "oh what the hell". So... not a lot of resolve there.

Culture: Aedyr - Drifter

I'm from Germany, and Aedyr resembles this the most. Kinda important, a little bit disliked and not mediterranean.

And drifter is pretty accurate, as I've moved to different cities a couple of times now and always have the urge to go somewhere else.

This is actually fun to think about. Maybe I'll create this character for my next run, egomaniac that I am.

I would be the character I play, only not nearly as cool.

Race: Glamfellen - because I'm translucent, though I have dark hair. I wish it were blue. It has been blue on occasion. Also, the pointy features. Yep, I'm an elf. I've always been a little off in my own world, fey. I like the cold as well.

Class: I play a cipher, because I'd love to mess with people's minds. But my un-game self is probably closer to a Druid. I know all about plants and have numerous animals following me around. I could also play a rogue, 'cause I'm sneaky. 

Attributes: This is kind of difficult, because it doesn't measure things I'm bad at, like feigning interest in sports or laughing at the appropriate moment. I'm strong, know how to dance, am fairly intelligent and lie convinclngly (I'm doing it now - or am I?). I show great resolve if something is worth doing, but otherwise can't be arsed. So balanced stats don't equal a good game character, unfortunately. I guess if forced to choose from base stats of 10 with 15 points to distribute, I'd be MIG 12, CON 12, DEX 12, PER 14, INT 13, RES 12 Bleh! 

Culture: Old Vailia. My ancestors were spice, wine and silk traders. Dissident (see Resolve, above).

I would look like me and would probably be lounging on a couch reading books, since adventuring, politics, and violence are not my bag and there are no computers in PoE.

Statswise, I would be average (10-12) all across the board, except Might would probably be something like 4. Dex would've been high in my youth but not so much now. :p

Class: I don't know, nothing really fits me. Ranger could work (loner, animals), except again, I don't adventure plus I'm not "spiritual" in any way. A lazy wizard, perhaps?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Race: Ogre. I'm an intelligent sort, but I'm an Ogre at heart, something my intelligent side gave up fighting and accepted years ago. If I was in PoE I'd live in a messy cave.

But I'd be very racist. Mostly against other ogres. Brainless scum, couldn't hunt for truth if it was biting their ankles. I'm not racist in real life, but being a smart ogre in Eora would drive one insane.

Class: Wizard.

At first I would have said "priest." I find it strange saying this, because in real life I'm an atheist. However, generally speaking the gods are real in fantasy games, so that wouldn't be an issue. Perhaps more to the point, in real life there is little I enjoy more than proslytizing. I and I alone, oh devoted flock, have found The Way, so now do as your humble leader dies, do as I do. Or at least do as I say. Thank God (nonfacetiously this time) for me.

Which means I guess I need to answer which of the Eora pantheon I'd follow. My answerwould be that although I would consider Magranites swell folks, Galawain would have my heart. Read "The Book of the Hunt" in-game, and that pretty much sums up my philosophy of knowledge. Don't ask; experiment!

Which means I probably wouldn't be a priest. Faithful to Galawain, in my own way, no doubt. But I'd be hunting for the real upcoming knowledge in the Dyrwood: animancy. Probably have to be a wizard for that.

Plus, I could give sermons to my vessels all I want. And probably would. Probably would use ogre corpses. Kill 'em myself. Most Ogres are too stupid to be allowed to survive.

Background: Aedyr - Mercenary. I actually am an Afghanistan veteran, and I actually went to the Marine, Navy, Air Force, Army, and National Guard recruiters to compare enlistment bonus. I went with the highest bidder. (Keeping my living area "army clean" was tge biggest pain.) Very few are more "mercenary" than me. In-game, I would probably have started off bashing skulls to fund my initial ventures into animancy, then work for the highest bidder.

Stats: 11 Might, 15 Constitution, 10 Dexterity, 8 Perception, 17 Intelligence, 5 Resolve. I am wicked smart, but I have a lot of trouble in life, mostly for the and reasons Hamlet does. Seems very high Int, low Res to me.

Equipment: I despise melee combat. I'd probably use an arquebus. I'd wear normal clothes most of the time, but I'd probably have a brigadine for situations when I know combat will transpire.

Favored dispositions: Clever, Rational

Disliked dispositions: Benevolent, Honest

In conclusion: absent-minded professor of an ogremage who is a heretic of his beloved Galawain faith, works for the highest bidder, practices animancy, delivers sermons to his "experiments" to pass the time, and carries a rifle.

Edited by scrotiemcb

Greater Diseased Pudding.

what more need be said?

...and yes, that's a real creature in the game.

Don't make me tank for you all! I can't stand being a tank. *wields giant pudding spoon menacingly*

It wasn't until this very moment that I realize that the game does, in fact, need a giant pudding spoon as a weapon that inflicts stirred status on diseased puddings. If I wasn't too lazy... err, I mean busy... I would mod that in.

• Like 2