What may be an ideal stat set for a Paladin?

I am creating a (Human) Paladin and I can't decide how should I distribute points among various stats, following is what I 've got;

Mig 12

Dex 10

Con 10

Per 15

Int 12

Res 19

Now what should I do here? Having only 12 might is bothering me , but I dont wan't reduce Res or Perc as they are the two highly recommended stats of Pallys. Or having 12 might on Paladin is OK.

Can anyone shed some light on it? Or share their experience if they are actually playing a Paladin and how different stats are playing out for them?

Thanks

Edited by Brimsurfer

Hi, I'm playing with a Paladin with almost exactly the same stats as yours.

The only exception is that my Paladin has in both Per + Res 17 points.

I'm using him as a second tank next to Edér. I took also therefore the +Endurance aura.

I'm at the moment lvl 5 and just reached Act2.

So far I hadn't any trouble with any fight.

But yes, the damage output isn't great, but that doesn't really hurt me since I really want him to soak damage.

He performs quite well for this role.

I've put already 5 points into Athletics.

As far as I can tell from my experience now, the great deflection makes up for the loss on Constitution.

I went:

Mig 15

Dex 10

Con 12

Per 14

Int 12

Res 15

Seems ok to me for a bit more damage dealing version. See any real issues with this config? (I'm not a hardcore min/max'er... just want some balance and rp feel for my guy while not being gimped)

Edited by AstroCat

Home/Gaming PC: I7-9700K@4.9GHz/Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero/EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA /Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/LG 32GK850G 31.5"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound Blaster ZX/Samsung 970 EVO x2, 850 PRO x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR5 - TrackClip Pro

I went:

Mig 15

Dex 10

Con 12

Per 14

Int 12

Res 15

Seems ok to me for a bit more damage dealing version. See any real issues with this config? (I'm not a hardcore min/max'er... just want some balance and rp feel for my guy while not being gimped)

If you're trying to tank, you'll get hit more than you should, if you're trying for damage, you'll be fairly indifferent at it.  Pick one and stick to it.

Also, Con is useless. 

It depends on the paladin's order.  Some orders (like kind wayfarer) need to land deathblows for the special effects that happens when they get one.  For those, it's best to sacrifice dex in exchange for might, since it's much more important to get one good blow on the right mob than it is to have overall high DPS.

A shieldbearer pally doesn't even need to do that, she just needs to land the flaming hit for the deflection bonus to kick in for the party.

Edited by Manty5

I went:

Mig 15

Dex 10

Con 12

Per 14

Int 12

Res 15

If you're trying to tank, you'll get hit more than you should, if you're trying for damage, you'll be fairly indifferent at it.  Pick one and stick to it.

Also, Con is useless. 

Wait, why is Con useless?

Go hang your glory on the wall
There comes a time when castles fall

Con is maligned because back-range characters often don't get hit and front-line characters are often better served by raising deflection so at least they don't get crit as much.  In any case con PUMPING is often ignored in favor of the other stats, so few builds use more than 10.

I just made 10 10 3 18 18 18 Moonlight Godlike Paladin Tank , i think 10 Const will be enough with all those defenses from Perception and Resolve , he is going to tank Hardmode TOI run coupled with Fire Godlike Chanter Tank with exactly the same stats 

Edited by Exoduss

It really depends on what you want to do with your Paladin.

My 2 cents;

Might: Good if you want to make your Paladin more of a damage dealer. Considering how Paladins work, I strongly suggest this.

Con: Average. It's useful if you're the main tank, since you'll be tanking multiple enemies at the same time. Fighters have far better defenses, regeneration and more ways to keep enemies pinned to them, so they are usually the main tank. This means that as a Paladin you'll at most be dealing with one enemy at a time, resulting in 8 con being more than enough to survive the few hits you'll need to take. You'll have a massive amount of HP regardless.

Dex: Average, but not needed for a more damage oriented Paladin. If you really want to go for full damage dealer, raise it to 12 or so, but I wouldn't drop below 10.

Per: Good for defenses and dialogue options. If you're going for a more defensive offtank, put more than 14 points in here. If you're going for damage, I'd make up my mind to go for Per or Res to boost to 16 and dump the remaining points in the other one.

Int: Weak. Aura's have a really, really small radius and require a significant investment in Int before the increase is really noticeable. Most other Paladin abilities affect only one target, so the increase in AoE radius is wasted on other abilities too. The duration increase to buffs from Int can be nice, but considering that a Paladin won't be spamming abilities all the time, I'd also consider it wasted. So keep int at 10, because you certainly don't want to hurt your already tiny aura range, and don't bother with it further.

Res: Same as Per, really. It's a good stat for being more tanky and dialogue options. For tanking, boost both to +14 at least. For dealing damage, boost your choice between Res or Per along with your offensive abilities and dump whatever remaining points in the other.

Edited by eubatham

It really depends on what you want to do with your Paladin.

My 2 cents;

Might: Good if you want to make your Paladin more of a damage dealer. Considering how Paladins work, I strongly suggest this.

Con: Average. It's useful if you're the main tank, since you'll be tanking multiple enemies at the same time. Fighters have far better defenses, regeneration and more ways to keep enemies pinned to them, so they are usually the main tank. This means that as a Paladin you'll at most be dealing with one enemy at a time, resulting in 8 con being more than enough to survive the few hits you'll need to take. You'll have a massive amount of HP regardless.

Dex: Average, but not needed for a more damage oriented Paladin. If you really want to go for full damage dealer, raise it to 12 or so, but I wouldn't drop below 10.

Per: Good for defenses and dialogue options. If you're going for a more defensive offtank, put more than 14 points in here. If you're going for damage, I'd make up my mind to go for Per or Res to boost to 16 and dump the remaining points in the other one.

Int: Weak. Aura's have a really, really small radius and require a significant investment in Int before the increase is really noticeable. Most other Paladin abilities affect only one target, so the increase in AoE radius is wasted on other abilities too. The duration increase to buffs from Int can be nice, but considering that a Paladin won't be spamming abilities all the time, I'd also consider it wasted. So keep int at 10, because you certainly don't want to hurt your already tiny aura range, and don't bother with it further.

Res: Same as Per, really. It's a good stat for being more tanky and dialogue options. For tanking, boost both to +14 at least. For dealing damage, boost your choice between Res or Per along with your offensive abilities and dump whatever remaining points in the other.

I gotta agree 100% with this. The way paladins in this game work just screams off-tank to me. So something like

Mig 18

Dex 10

Con 10

Per 14

Int 10

Res 16

or

Mig 14

Dex 10

Con 10

Per 16

Int 10

Res 18

depending on whether you want to be more of a tank or deal some more damage

parties without fighter tanks work too i am running Paladin+chanter combo and it works great both on hard with ironman and on PoTD , they do tanking just fine and provide extreme amounts of utility to the party combined with a priest + 3 ranged or 2 ranged and barbarian i like the combo , anything that doesnt teleport stays in the front with tanks , and then there is shades :( , 

Edited by Exoduss

Hearth Orlan Kind Wayfarer Paladin

10/8/10/21/10/19

Fighting with a single dagger for the accuracy, for the higher chance to hit and crit.

Currently level 4, leads the party in crits and damage (Aloth has more hits because AoE).  Not as tough as Eder, but not too far off thanks to plate armor + slash/pierce DR belt.

What about these for more Damage than Tanking, Perception and/or Resolve for RP aspect? Or is the 12 in Dex really useless? 

I guess 10 in Con is the right thing to do, just seems wierd with Con so low. Guess I gotta get used to the PoE stats.

Pale elf, Paladin (Goldpact Knights), The White that Wends - Explorer

This one kind of "feels" accurate for my RP concept... but I don't want to super gimp my guy either... I'd like to have some in Dex, but like Con maybe it doesn't make sense in PoE stats.

Mig 16

Con 10

Dex 10

Per 17 

Int 10

Res 15 

Oh and is there reason to use even numbers like this, then I get my 12 in Dex.

Mig 16

Con 10

Dex 12

Per 16

Int 10

Res 14 

Edited by AstroCat

Home/Gaming PC: I7-9700K@4.9GHz/Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero/EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA /Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/LG 32GK850G 31.5"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound Blaster ZX/Samsung 970 EVO x2, 850 PRO x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR5 - TrackClip Pro

For dialogue options you might want to max one of talking attributes instead of spreading points evenly. Resolve, I think, is a better and more fitting choice for Paladin. Although it should be said, paladins get their own unique dialogue options.

I think if you're not afraid to be a bit slow and compensate that with wearing a bit lighter armor while stacking various healing items & moon godlike there, you can go with maxed or almost maxed Might, Per & Resolve. Like, 18/8/8/17/10/17.

There's nothing special about even attribute numbers in PoE.  Each point provides an increase to those things that are influenced by the attribute.

Edited by Emptiness

I maxed resolve, int and perception on mine.. with the free resistances from being faithful, I'm ok with having lower fort because its still really high.  The pal does everything I need her to do, tanks like a boss, has auras.  I did this because the biggest strength of starting paladin is the ability to raise the skills that matter for dialog options and still be ok.. so thats what I did.  I use a chanter atm as an offtank.  He also gives resistances and healing auras and stuff so it seems to be working very well.  I'm playing on hard and doing just fine

Edited by vistani

What about these for more Damage than Tanking, Perception and/or Resolve for RP aspect? Or is the 12 in Dex really useless? 

I guess 10 in Con is the right thing to do, just seems wierd with Con so low. Guess I gotta get used to the PoE stats.

Pale elf, Paladin (Goldpact Knights), The White that Wends - Explorer

This one kind of "feels" accurate for my RP concept... but I don't want to super gimp my guy either... I'd like to have some in Dex, but like Con maybe it doesn't make sense in PoE stats.

Mig 16

Con 10

Dex 10

Per 17 

Int 10

Res 15 

Mig 16

Con 10

Dex 12

Per 16

Int 10

Res 14 

There's not much point in pumping Dex by just two points, especially if you're going to wear heavy armor. It's just not going to make a difference. I'd put more points into resolve than perception, both are tank stats and play a part in dialogue, but Res is useful against interrupts.

Edited by Judicator

Ok, bail on Dex and Con and maybe go.... How bad would 3 16's and 3 10's be? Do you really need to have an 18 stat?

or should I just give in and go...

Mig 16

Con 10

Dex 10

Per 14

Int 10

Res 18

Edited by AstroCat

Yeah I'm playing Hard for sure.

Hard for the first playtrough seems very very balanced if you want a challenging CRPG , PoTD is there for replayabilty imo or for those who want to hardcore from the very beginning , also most builds mentioned here doesnt make too much sense keeping all stats over 10 is just waste in PoE 1-2 stat points makes no difference but more you stack better effect you get so you get the most from Maxing important stats like Resolve and Perception for Paladin Tanks or Max Might + Aumaua for Paladin DPS'ers instead of having like 10 Dexterity that does exactly nothing ... 

Edit : and when you have all stats over 10 they dont suddenly become "balanced" they actually are leaning more towards wasted , and for those who will say sht about minmax etc etc etc why talk about builds at all then its proven that any build works in this game on lower difficulties .

Edited by Exoduss

I agree with the resolve over perception for tanky fellows. When youre wearing full plate your recovery time is already going to be pretty high. you wont want to get interrupted and make it even longer. And with the high recovery time youll have less chances to interrupt, making perception less useful.