32bit system: Cannot travel to Gilded Vale

Silencio

Question

Hi

I crash every signle time I try to travel to Gilded Vale after leaving the collapsed cage and traveling through the woods.

Is this a common bug and will it be adressed in this weeks coming patch? I really(!!) want to play the game, but so far I can not progress past the second game location:(

Thx in advance

• Like 1

11 answers to this question

Hello Silencio,

There are several memory issues with 32bit systems, especially since Windows 32bit is restricted to 3GB of addressable memory.

Check out the work-around FAQ. There is a reference there as to how to increase the amount of memory available to the game.

To Quote from the FAQ

• For 32-Bit Machines
    There are reports of reporting crashing when transitioning on 32-bit machines.  We are aware of the issue and attempting to fix it.  This issue did come up on Wasteland 2, which is another Unity project, and a workaround was discovered by their fans: here

You can change your system settings on your computer to increase RAM used by a single application.  However, there are inherent risks involved when changing settings involving your operating system and any attempts to change your system settings will be at your own risk.  Obsidian is not liable for any issues that might occur with those settings.
Good luck to you! I hope you can work around this issue on your system.

Obsidian is not liable for any issues that might occur with those settings.

Yeah, that's... interesting.  Obsidian is not liable for any issues but why not be liable for technical weaknesses? And already I'm not talking about changing the requirements for two weeks before the release...

WinXP is no longer supported by the publisher - ok, but Win7 32-bit is, right? And I wouldn't be a problem if the whole game was unstable. But only Guided Vale doesn't load. Why, because of this "unfortunate tree" ;)? Everything else is fine.

So maybe Obsidian would try to issue some patch for those who also don't want be liable for any system issues? Is it so difficult? Impossible to do?

It would be very nice. Thx :)

• Like 1

Today patch didn't change anything for 32bits systems, Gilded Vale still won't load...

I'm glad i paid 40€ for 2h of gametime because it crashes anytime i try to enter the third area of the game...

I was hopefull for this week patch to fix this but apparently that wasn't a "priority"...

• Like 3

What the actual **** Obsidian??

How do you not adress the game not being PLAYABLE on a system you stated as being capable of running your game?

If there were a refund system on steam I would want my money back now. This is unacceptable and extremely arrogant.

You want me to mess with my system to make it 3bg ram compatible - while this can ruin my other games and could make my system shut down? Right... Nice fix... NOT HAPPENING!

I want a straight answer: When will you fix the 32bit problem???

Cant EDIT: Approved post but replaced one word with asterisks. Please don't try to bypass the filter.

• Like 2

They actually made HATS for CATS but i still can't play the game on a system that meets the requirements... I am actually steaming right now. I will not be buying anoter Obsidian game ever. Will resort to lesser RPGs - so be it

• Like 2

Obsidian is not liable for any issues that might occur with those settings.

Yeah, that's... interesting.  Obsidian is not liable for any issues but why not be liable for technical weaknesses? And already I'm not talking about changing the requirements for two weeks before the release...

WinXP is no longer supported by the publisher - ok, but Win7 32-bit is, right? And I wouldn't be a problem if the whole game was unstable. But only Guided Vale doesn't load. Why, because of this "unfortunate tree" ;)? Everything else is fine.

So maybe Obsidian would try to issue some patch for those who also don't want be liable for any system issues? Is it so difficult? Impossible to do?

It would be very nice. Thx :)

I wish game devs would do themselves a big favor and simply use x64 OSes as the minimum requirement for all of their games.  IMO, trying to shoehorn 6-8GBs of game programming into 3GB's or less of system memory means huge headaches not only for the developers, but also for the end users unlucky enough to still be saddled with 32-bit cpus, because the furious paging that has to occur will slow things to a crawl, and sometimes even paging won't work and you have to simply pare back the game content in some respects.   Oh, well--it could be worse--they could still be developing for 32-bit systems, primarily--thank goodness they aren't!  

I mean, even game consoles are 64-bits today!  People who cling to 32-bit systems should expect to get the short end of the stick--because they've got a lot less capability for the games to run in.  If you want to game you need a 64-bit system--and that's it.

Wanted to add that the developers for Might & Magic X (UbiCrotch, publisher) had originally planned on a 32-bit version of the game in addition to the 64-bit version, but during the developmental stage of the game (in which people bought into the alpha/beta process) they nuked the 32-bit option entirely because they simply couldn't shoehorn the game into 32-bits--game wound up requiring 6 GBs of ram--and that was in January '14...!

Edited by waltc

It's very well known that I don't make mistakes, so if you should stumble across the odd error here and there in what I have written, you may immediately deduce--quite correctly--that I did not write it... :biggrin:

Well I have this problem as well it seems, and from this thread it looks like I just wasted quite a bit of money on a game my system cant play, despite the system requirements claiming its supported. Thanks obsidian, I am incredibly dissapointed in this. Please, please fix this. I am not willing to risk my computer for a workaround, for something that is your fault.

I am not willing to risk my computer for a workaround, for something that is your fault.

It's actually your fault and your computer's fault. You bought a game who's release system requirements are above what you have to offer. You're running an OS that hasn't been suited for gaming for a couple years now. They wanted to provide you this ability and are still trying to work on it for 32 bit uses, but I would have personally waited to purchase the game until I had confirmation. You easily could have gotten a refund if you backed or otherwise purchased the game, and more than likely still can if you push.