The No Bad Choices Thread

Yea the stats are bad and they should have just used the tried and true IE ones.

Armor is also done in such an asinine way and a lot of us said it was lame from the get go....armor does not impair you in the way this game does so it really makes no damn sense.

If armor was such a liability no one would have ****in used it....it was designed very well and worked very well.

The major IRL impairments armor(mostly helmets) gives you is sensory...sight/hearing.

A person in 17th century plate is not going to have some sort of ludicrous penalty to movement or "recovery".

It's also funny to me that a person with money would have a gambeson(padded armor), chain, and plate on at the same time....guess realism is too OP because no one is stacking armor in their games. History tip...armor was really ****ing good and worked really really well...as a matter of fact gambesons can stop warbows but yea padded armor is always **** in games/RPGs.

Armor absolutely had encumbrance issues in real life.  Many knights had squires dress them, and Conquistadors etc. switched to half-plates and breastplates because they didn't need the protection of full plate.

That said, a system with stacking armor would be really cool.

Edited by anameforobsidian

Yea the stats are bad and they should have just used the tried and true IE ones.

Armor is also done in such an asinine way and a lot of us said it was lame from the get go....armor does not impair you in the way this game does so it really makes no damn sense.

If armor was such a liability no one would have ****in used it....it was designed very well and worked very well.

The major IRL impairments armor(mostly helmets) gives you is sensory...sight/hearing.

A person in 17th century plate is not going to have some sort of ludicrous penalty to movement or "recovery".

It's also funny to me that a person with money would have a gambeson(padded armor), chain, and plate on at the same time....guess realism is too OP because no one is stacking armor in their games. History tip...armor was really ****ing good and worked really really well...as a matter of fact gambesons can stop warbows but yea padded armor is always **** in games/RPGs.

Armor absolutely had encumbrance issues in real life.  Many knights had squires dress them, and Conquistadors etc. switched to half-plates and breastplates because they didn't need the protection of full plate.

That said, a system with stacking armor would be really cool.

Well yea I never said it doesn't hinder you at all...but it's really not that bad especially in a scenario where no one is running away from you (ie formations or on horseback).

I don't really care if some other distribution of stats is better for my PC; I care that I can build a character concept and have it be viable. Likewise, I don't care if some other weapon might be better for a character, I care that I'm not completely screwing myself over by taking a non-optimal choice.

My Eder's wielding a spear and we've been doing just fine.

Exactly. There's always going to be an optimum, but what PoE allows is for a great range of non-optimal choices to be perfectly viable as long as you play them right. This is a huge step up from the IE games.

Interesting post. I actually disagree on the armor and the classes - which might mean stuff is more balanced than I thought.

Classes:

As far as I can tell right now, Druids are completely overpowered compared to Wizards (they just a lot of really strong foe-only spells early) and that's before even facturing in shapeshifting. Ciphers and Priests are both at a good middle ground in terms of spellcasters, imho, and Druids and Wizards should be balanced to meet their power level.

Paladins and Monks also feel weak compared to Fighters, both as tanks and as "tanky dps/offtanks". Fighters simply get a lot of really strong passive effects where Paladins get dinky auras and active abilities instead (that often aren't all that useful or less useful once a few party members go down) - and the Monk as a class has an identity crisis in terms of "do I want to get hit or not ?".

If your Monk gets hit a lot, he/she has enough Wounds to spam abilities, but will go down incredibly fast if he/she is not a tank. If the Monk is a tank then the Wounds will be much less useful because most of the abilities feel dps-centric.

Rangers seem to be in a good spot as physical damage dealers, their pets make for decent-is offtanks and they do have the range abilities to take down enemies quickly. Rogues are fine aswell because they need to go a risky melee route to maximize their potential but can also do reasonable as ranged dps.

Haven't tried Barbarian and Chanter yet because they interest me the least - my opinion could also change in later acts (only partly through Act 2 right now on my Ranger).

Armor: I actually really love Padded Armor on my PC (Ranger) because he's pretty much a "range only" dps guy and my party easily has enough tankiness to keep most enemies off his back and kill the outliners fairly quickly. Of course, I could wear incredibly heavy armor instead and take about twice as long to reload, but why would I want to on a character that tries his best not to get hit ?

Heavy armor is great, on the other hand, for tanks and offtanks, as it should be. I think, overall, the armor system is actually in a pretty great place, all things considered.

The biggest problem I currently have is that the Skill system feels very flawed: Mechanics is pretty much the god-tier Skill to go for, then come Athletics and Lore as decent-ish choices and then Stealth and Survival as "really niche/flavory/bad picks".

So far, I've only run into 2 Survival checks (both needing only 4 Survival) and other than that, it will help me get my 300s lasting food last for a couple more seconds . . . yeah ? Contrast this to Mechanics, which is pretty much insanely useful on close to every map, everywhere, will find you more loot, disarm traps, open doors and give you a decent amount of experience for your "troubles".

• Like 1

Classes

Feels like Wizards don't have the same time of offensive and healing repertoire that the Druids have. 

Wish there were more summoning spells and more spells targeted at the undead. 

Stats
Resolve is LITERALLY Charisma. 

Crafting and Enchanting

I wish I could get enchant and layer on more effects on armor and weapons. 

Personally, I wish there were some more quirky effects from the unique weapons standpoint. 

Talents and Abilities

I wish I had more points to use for talents and abilities. 

I also agree that some of the talents and abilities aren't very useful. 

I barely use Pallegina's Lay on Hands.