Hello all,

I would like to get some help on how to properly level up Durance.  I would also like to get an idea of what his items should revolve around.  I am new to the game and played till level 5 but then restarted.  My party is currently:

Main = Chanter focused on off-tanking and chants.  3 Might, 4 Dex.  Party face role.  All other ability scores maxed.  Working very well so far.

Tank = Eder.  Used the respec option with IE mod to get him focused on what I wanted out of him.  Working very well so far.

Melee DPS = Paladin.  Custom made to be a last hit buffer with auras who's all about damage with reach, two handed weapons.  Working very well so far.

Ranged DPS = Cipher.  Arbalest user and damage dealer extraordinaire.  Broken strong so far.

Caster = Aloth.  Respec option used here as well.  Working on getting him all the spells for utility.

and finally my 6th slot is going to Durance for now.  He's used because Holy Radiance can be used outside of combat to buff pre combat and it can also grant a bonus to accuracy.  Priest buffs are also incredibly useful.  However that being said, I need help to figure out where to go with him.  Currently just hit level 4 so a talent is available.  Now for some questions:

1. Is upgrading his staff worth it?  What weapons should I use with him to keep him useful?

2. What talents should I grab as a priority at this point?

Thanks to all who post.

Noc

Interdiction pretty good, its 1 per encounter, have crazy range and good duration, +15Acc mod, and while Dazed status not as good as other's it still helps, especially with conjunction with spells/abilities that target Reflex.

Also there is talent that give +10Acc to arqebus, though arqebus worse than arbalest, but at least it looks cooler.

Interdiction pretty good, its 1 per encounter, have crazy range and good duration, +15Acc mod, and while Dazed status not as good as other's it still helps, especially with conjunction with spells/abilities that target Reflex.

Also there is talent that give +10Acc to arqebus, though arqebus worse than arbalest, but at least it looks cooler.

It's worth pointing out that patch 1.03 is nerfing Arbalest.  To what extent, I don't know but I would imagine it will end up being on par with the Arquebus, so that talent will be very good for Durance.

Durance really doesn't have a 'build' style. Like most standard clerics, he just kinda sits in the back and supports with spells. He can suffice in melee for a little while, but eventually it's just best to give him a ranged weapon and maybe some light armor.

Love Durance. Great voice acting and backstory.

I run a 2-tank, 2-midfield 2-caster party like many others. Durance and Palligina hold down the midfield in my party. Mainly, Durance buffs and heals, but he also uses an aquerebus for ranged combat, and sword/shield for occasional off-tanking. I actually gave him Aloth's overseeing armor. The stat reallocation patch really helped the range of Durance's spells, but having an overseeing item is also very helpful. Medium armor seems to be a good choice.

I took brilliant and inspiring radiance, as well as Inspired Flame. A little strange that Durance came with Rod/Staff, as his deity seems to favor these weapons. While he doesn't do much damage in melee, the alpha strike opening salvo of the aqerebus is quite helpful when combined with Palligina's flames of devotion/arbalest. The two of them can often take down an enemy spellcaster very quickly. In harder fights, Durance then switches to sword/shield, fires off his radiance,  and then either casts buffs or picks up loose enemies trying to get to the backline (Aloth/PC Cipher). Reload time is fairly extreme on the aquerebus, so generally he only fires it once per combat. 

I actually quite like a shield on Durance, as one of his better spells is "consecrated ground". In fights with many enemies, he usually wades up to the front lines and drops his heal on top of Eder and Kana. This gives my party 3 reasonably durable sword and board guys up front, sitting inside a healing circle. This generally buys more than enough time for the three ranged DPS to take down the enemy with spells or their pistol/arbalest/scepter.

Have not tried interdiction, so can't comment there. 

I'm running a 4 man party. In front I have a custom fighter as main tank, Durance as off tank, my PC as a wizard in the back lines and finally a rogue which alternates between ranged DPS and melee DPS / 3rd offtank.

So far, I find his most useful spells are the seal spells. The level 2 spell repulsing seal will knock several enemies down for a good while, providing great crowd control. Buffs and healing help out a lot as well.

Since priests don't have high damage potential, theres really no point in sitting in the back and throwing out a support spell now and then. I think its more useful to give him plate armor and send him to the front lines and help tank.

• 6 months later...