Didn't realize I was paying to join late beta...

Even after 30 years they are finding new bugs:

You realize that means they did a really good job?

If it takes 30 years to find a bug (as opposed to 3 days), that mean the bug was incredibly obscure.

Anyway all this experience is really telling me is: never buy an Obsidian game on release.

ive seen games release in much, much worse states, anyone remember fallout new Vegas, or the most recent Sim city, or Empire total war lol

compared to those this game is a clean as can be lol

Any game in history is 100% bug free when compared to the abomination that was Empire: Total War on release, true. 

- How can I live my life if I can't even tell good from evil?

- Eh, they're both fine choices. Whatever floats your boat. 

"virtually every player is likely to encounter in the normal course of completing the game."

Clearly and objectively untrue, as the many many posters on this very forum will tell you.

Are you seriously arguing that something that can be expected to eventually happen during gameplay - is actually a rare exception, if one person on this forum say they did not see it?

And that if someone on the forum insists it is an exception, then that it is an exception is also "clearly and objectively true"?

Did you really say that?

What's with the hugely hyperbolic extremes? "EITHER VIRTUALLY EVERYONE HAS IT OR YOU'RE SAYING NOBODY HAS IT". 

Fact: there are serious bugs affecting at least some people, let's use as example, the Raedric's Hold bug. (I know this, because I have to read most of this forum and I've read many posts from affected people.)

Fact: there are many people who are also saying the bug never affected them. (I know this, because, see above.)

Fact: the bugs affect some people, and not others. Nobody knows exactly how many.

Fact: to say "virtually every player is likely to encounter..." is clearly and objectively untrue, as I initially stated.

I mean, I'm not saying anything profound here. It just sounds like you're frustrated with bugs you experience (rightfully so), but then go off claiming something about the nature of game development and insisting you know what Obsidian should have done, and then getting more offended by what you think I said.

As I have said elsewhere, some bugs are there, and they do really suck for people who experience them, and there's every 'right' to complain about your experience and ask Obsidian to fix things ASAP. I don't see what is gained for you by making hyperbolic claims that aren't true and don't really pertain to your cause.

I'm just saying that the way q&a didn't pick up on some of these bugs suggests that your "intended use" procedure is a bit, shall we say, focused? Narrow-minded? Exclusive?

And when you insist that someone not introduced to the particular brand of bg2/d&d nerddom some of you seem to like a bit too much, is just playing the game wrong - then that also perhaps says something about how exclusive your point of view really is?

In the same way, you still essentially told the guy to go away if he couldn't be bothered to say something positive. This perhaps would explain some of the reason for why people on this forum tend to be extremely focused with their feedback? And perhaps in some fairly significant ways cut the legs under your idea that the forum is full of all kinds of varied user-experiences from all kinds of users?

Or, that you're saying that on the one hand, the guy is /obviously/ an anomaly, and should stop posting hyperbolic bs on the lovely site. Because the entire forum is full of non-anomalous users who /never/ see the problems in the game, ever. 

Do you see the small problem going on here? With the slight tension between the two ideas? Or do you want me to explain it again? I can use crayons and paper rolls if you want me to.

The injustice must end! Sign the petition and Free the Krug!

I usually try to avoid making gripe posts, but my level of frustration and irritation with PoE is growing at such a rate that I kind of just have to let it out this time.

Despite being highly interested in a spiritual successor to the IE games of my halcyon youth, I didn't back the Kickstarter for PoE because I wasn't interested in playing a WIP/beta game. Instead, I bought the game a couple days after its official launch, but nevertheless, it feels like I'm playing a late beta version.

When literally not a single day can go by without me reading about or encountering a new major bug, I think it's fair to say that the game has launched in an unacceptable state. Disappearing passive bonuses from double-clicking to equip armor, endlessly stacking attributes from loading a saved game, disappearing focus regeneration from equipping an item designed specifically for the only class in the game which uses focus...

These are not bizarre, obscure bugs which only a small portion of the player base is likely to encounter, these are things which virtually every player is likely to encounter in the normal course of completing the game.

I'm still enjoying much of what PoE has to offer, but you can rest assured that I won't be making the mistake of paying full price for an Obsidian-developed game any time in the near future.

They announce a new title:  Pillars of Bugs or maybe Bugs of Eternity.

• 2 weeks later...

Here I was content to let this post die a quick and merciful death, and then Obsidian goes and releases a patch that fixes several (not all) of the major bugs affecting me and many others but which has now caused me no fewer than three crashes.

And I'm not talking crashes to desktop, I'm talking full-on kernel-blasting-forced-cold-reboot crashes without even so much as a blue screen of death to give me comfort. It has literally been years since a game, or any other piece of software for that matter, has caused my PC to repeatedly crash like that.

Please, Obsidian, have mercy and spare me from any more of your "fixes", I've gotten the message loud and clear: wait a year for your games to be stable and then pick them up at 75% off.

Here I was content to let this post die a quick and merciful death, and then Obsidian goes and releases a patch that fixes several (not all) of the major bugs affecting me and many others but which has now caused me no fewer than three crashes.

And I'm not talking crashes to desktop, I'm talking full-on kernel-blasting-forced-cold-reboot crashes without even so much as a blue screen of death to give me comfort. It has literally been years since a game, or any other piece of software for that matter, has caused my PC to repeatedly crash like that.

Please, Obsidian, have mercy and spare me from any more of your "fixes", I've gotten the message loud and clear: wait a year for your games to be stable and then pick them up at 75% off.

I have been playing for more than 20 hours and never experienced a single crash or freeze. Either you have a faulty PC or are extremely unlucky...

• Like 1

I have been playing for more than 20 hours and never experienced a single crash or freeze. Either you have a faulty PC or are extremely unlucky...

Or perhaps your anecdotal evidence and my anecdotal evidence aren't sufficient to allow us to draw any meaningful conclusions?

My point was that the patch issued to address several major bugs (which were definitely not unique to me) also introduced another major bug (which may be unique to me) and that I am therefore irritated and exasperated with Obsidian.

Have you at least posted in the tech support forum and provided save, logs and dxdiag?

It's not like they have every possible permutations of hardware and software to test out the game for everyone.

With the budget they had I'm surprised we got this far already.

Xcom: Enemy Unknown (1994), widely regarded as one of the best PC games of all time, has a ridiculously long list of bugs that was never fixed by the developers (http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Known_Bugs).  

It took years (decades in some cases) for modders and independent developers (http://openxcom.org/) to fix all the bugs.  

It was still a great game despite the bugs.  I played the **** out of it back in 1994.  If I time-traveled to 1994, and had no way of getting home (quantum leap style), would I still play xcom?  Hells yeah.

So, what's your favorite Pillars of Eternity bug?  Here's mine:

Extremely High Prices in Certain Stores
  • Work-around: Switch the language to English or gain positive reputation in the area
    If the game is played in some languages other than English, some shops will have drastically inflated prices. The only known ways to set the prices to be normal again is to set the language to English or to gain reputation with the area or the shop owner specifically, giving you a discount and therefore forcing the prices to their correct state.
Edited by Daemonjax

This post is funny because one thought keeps going through my head. Have you ever played any of Obsidian's other games?!?! This company is notorious for releasing half baked buggy messes to the public. All in all I feel that PoE is reasonably 'done' considering the company's reputation and it is the reason I didn't back it for kickstarter. I have been pleasently suprised however. There are far fewer showstopping bugs than I expected. At least they are working on patching the other known issues