Didn't realize I was paying to join late beta...

Maybe none of the beta testers got stuck with a bug that prevented them from progressing, like 99.9% of the playerbase.

You're not speaking for 99% of the player base. If I weren't reading the forums, I wouldn't even be aware of the bugs. Mainly because I never double-click to assign items and I tend to run with a single quick save, so my reloading is limited.

The only bug I've actually noticed during play is the cage cursor issue. Which is annoying, but hardly game breaking.

I'm still enjoying much of what PoE has to offer, but you can rest assured that I won't be making the mistake of paying full price for an Obsidian-developed game any time in the near future.

I think it is still important to support companies that are making RPG's. There are so few of them. We should be encouraging them to do better next time with promises of continued support. What have they done well and what could they do better? promises not to pay full price for the next game will not encourage them to make a next game.

I don't think it's at all unreasonable to suggest that my disappointment in a company's current product might impact my willingness to pay for future products. Obsidian is a for-profit entity, so while I don't doubt that they're passionate as hell about making RPG's, my relationship with them is ultimately as a consumer of their goods.

• Like 1

Well, I won't repeat myself about how bugs and game development work. 

Patch fixing all known major problems & lots more expected tomorrow: https://forums.obsidian.net/blog/7/entry-179-patch-notes-103/

"virtually every player is likely to encounter in the normal course of completing the game."

Clearly and objectively untrue, as the many many posters on this very forum will tell you. 

Let me clarify: virtually every player could reasonably be expected to potentially encounter the events which trigger these bugs.

Double-clicking an item, equipping a particular item, or loading a saved game are not unusual fringe events in a computer game.

Developers shipping a game with major bugs and then working furiously to patch them shouldn't be the default expectation.

• Like 1

When literally not a single day can go by without me reading about or encountering a new major bug, I think it's fair to say that the game has launched in an unacceptable state.

I understand frustration over bugs that negatively impact your gameplay, but how exactly does reading about a bug hurt you?

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I'm in Act III and I haven't personally experienced any bugs that barred my progress in the game.  Others have finished the game, so apparently I'm not completely alone.

After reading your post I couldn't help but look back at the thread title, and then think about the backers, some of whom paid very large sums of money and then actually beta tested the game so that the rest of us could pay less and then enjoy the game with fewer bugs.  If you had been a backer, and were here to complain about bugs you reported in the beta not being fixed before release, then I would sympathize more.

The OP lost me when comparing console games to PCs in terms of bugs.  Definite troll post.

Wait, what? When did I compare console and PC game bugs? Re-read the usernames my friend.

Seriously, do peeps on these forums bother to read their words before posting!?!

"I wouldn't have known about bugs if I hadn't read about them...well, except for those that I had and noticed"

Wtf?

I was a beta tester. There were some serious bugs that did get fixed (disappearing items, for example). But as one posted, the state of the released version does seem to be a late beta version of what it will be after the first patch.

When literally not a single day can go by without me reading about...

There's your problem. You are getting yourself worked up over something you haven't even experienced. I didn't even know you could double-click on something to equip it. That never even crossed my mind.

I'm sorry you aren't having as much fun as I am.

• Like 1

FWIW I haven't encountered any serious bugs. The ones I've personally noticed are occasionally inappropriate combat barks, invisible cloaks (OS X), and some UI visual glitches related to Kana's extra weapon slot. 

And yes I did check everybody's stats and no they were not inflated. Although when I read about those bugs I did start taking extra care not to double-click to equip or save in an area where I recruited someone.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

The only bug that got me was the crashing in Raedric's hold which was NBD - and I was so traumatized by KOTOR 1 with crashing on area transition that I save *every* time I change areas regardless of auto-save lol it's just a terrible habit now because the initial release of that game on PC crashed *frequently* on area transitions - and I didn't have internet at the time so I just had to deal with it lol. 

I'll admit the other 2 major bugs were pure luck that I avoided them - I simply never had to reload in a recruitment zone, and I never attempted to equip by double clicking, because that's just weird lol. 

I also got the Durance conversation bug that kept me from completing his questline, but meh, not a huge problem considering there are "enhanced" editions of games with conversation bugs still (I'm looking at you Anomen).

The game is quite playable.  I finished it with relatively little cause for concern.

I should also note that comparing a 1980's Nintendo game to a game of this size is simply stupidity.   Just watch a speed run of Ocarina of Time sometime - and there are plenty of people who would go to bat for that game as the best game ever made, and it's literally laden with bugs of all sorts. 

Comparing the old nintendo games from the 80's, which were on average about 250 kb's in size to a 14 gb game is ludicrous. All nintendo games combined for the original system would be a drop of rain hitting a lake compared to the data involved in Pillars of Eternity. Not to mention, a simplistic single system using the same parts and configuration to work off of. In comparison to needing to make this game work for all computers out there, regardless of parts used or operating system and the software the hardware comes with. Silly nonsense. 

That being said, it is buggy. Yet, a massive patch within a week of release is great to see. 

• Like 1

Maybe none of the beta testers got stuck with a bug that prevented them from progressing, like 99.9% of the playerbase.

You're not speaking for 99% of the player base. If I weren't reading the forums, I wouldn't even be aware of the bugs. Mainly because I never double-click to assign items and I tend to run with a single quick save, so my reloading is limited.

The only bug I've actually noticed during play is the cage cursor issue. Which is annoying, but hardly game breaking.

If I wasnt speaking for 99%, then 1 in 100 players would have the bugs. That really doesnt seem to be the case. It doesnt even seem to be 1 in 1000 if you consider that the game sold millions of copies, hence 99.9%.

Edited by Mungri

Patch fixing all known major problems & lots more expected tomorrow: https://forums.obsidian.net/blog/7/entry-179-patch-notes-103/

"virtually every player is likely to encounter in the normal course of completing the game."

Clearly and objectively untrue, as the many many posters on this very forum will tell you. 

Let me clarify: virtually every player could reasonably be expected to potentially encounter the events which trigger these bugs.

Double-clicking an item, equipping a particular item, or loading a saved game are not unusual fringe events in a computer game.

Developers shipping a game with major bugs and then working furiously to patch them shouldn't be the default expectation.

No, it shouldn't be the default expectation. The only way that stops happening, is if everyone stops buying games completely until that changes though really. There's such a demand, that they can get away with it, all companies can.

Edited by Magrusaod

These are not bizarre, obscure bugs which only a small portion of the player base is likely to encounter, these are things which virtually every player is likely to encounter in the normal course of completing the game.

I've encountered zero bugs so far. 

Double-clicking an item, equipping a particular item, or loading a saved game are not unusual fringe events in a computer game.

Would it be better to have the game released in a year completely bug free? Or wait another 6 months? I get it, bugs suck, but it came out, what, a week ago? Bugs happen - the fact they are already working on a patch shows they care (or at least they arent going to just leave the bugs alone). 

Edited by Hellraiser789

Welcome to modern times.  Complex software has bugs - whether it's your phone, your tablet, your console, your computer - reality happens.

If you are so absolutely devastated by bugs - most of which you probably never notice yourself - then wait til a year or two after any piece of software releases - then buy it.

• Like 1

Hilarious, yes the game is buggy. Somehow I managed to get only a few extra stat points and poof that's all. I didn't encounter any of the quest bugs people report (I got lucky).

Still I'm baffled how the equip bug (that I am not experiencing somehow) got through QA.

Please, let the patch  be available on time even for GOG accounts. Please?

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.

If I wasnt speaking for 99%, then 1 in 100 players would have the bugs. That really doesnt seem to be the case. It doesnt even seem to be 1 in 1000 if you consider that the game sold millions of copies, hence 99.9%.

How can you tell how many players actually encounter bugs?

More than 1 out of 100 will at some point fight against an Ogre Druid - either during bounties or in the endless path. When they do, it is quite probable that one of these Ogres casts Swarm of Insects on your player character, thus inevitably killing them even after the fight is done, resulting in a game over screen. 

More than 1 out of 100 will at some point pick up a Cypher, maybe even as their player character. If they are not completely blind, they will at some point pick up one of two items which appear to be immensely useful for the Cypher, equip them and destroy their character in doing so. 

More than 1 out of 100 players will visit Raedrics Keep at some point and be unlucky enogh to a) get stuck in a zone that, upon leaving, will crash their game or b) for whatever reason not trigger Kolcs after killing Raedric.

Morte than 1 out of 100 will accept both the quests from the dozens and the crucible knights, which will result in them not being able to attend the hearing.

Yes, these bugs are known and they are being worked on, but you can't expect every customer to search through the forums and compile a list of every potential bug they have to avoid, in order not to miss out on content, cripple their character or outright kill their savegame.

If you haven't experienced any of these bugs, that's cool for you, but it doesn't matter. The thing that matters is that these bugs exist, they ruin the experience for some players (the amount of which none of us can determine) and they should not have been there at release period. Downplaying the issue does not help anyone, nor does throwing around made up numbers and statistics. If everybody just shuts up about these things, how are they supposed to get fixed? 

Edited by Molcho
  • Like 1

I think it's fair to say that the game has launched in an unacceptable state.

You think whatever you want to think mate.

Is this some kind of sick joke to start this thread after the patchnote has been released ?

Edited by CaptainMace
  • Like 1

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?

I usually try to avoid making gripe posts, but my level of frustration and irritation with PoE is growing at such a rate that I kind of just have to let it out this time.

Despite being highly interested in a spiritual successor to the IE games of my halcyon youth, I didn't back the Kickstarter for PoE because I wasn't interested in playing a WIP/beta game. Instead, I bought the game a couple days after its official launch, but nevertheless, it feels like I'm playing a late beta version.

When literally not a single day can go by without me reading about or encountering a new major bug, I think it's fair to say that the game has launched in an unacceptable state. Disappearing passive bonuses from double-clicking to equip armor, endlessly stacking attributes from loading a saved game, disappearing focus regeneration from equipping an item designed specifically for the only class in the game which uses focus...

These are not bizarre, obscure bugs which only a small portion of the player base is likely to encounter, these are things which virtually every player is likely to encounter in the normal course of completing the game.

I'm still enjoying much of what PoE has to offer, but you can rest assured that I won't be making the mistake of paying full price for an Obsidian-developed game any time in the near future.

I concur- I started a thread posting my dissatisfaction but, for some reason, it seems to have been removed...despite in being a well written and balanced view on the current state of the game...

The game has real potential- it's gorgeous, the music and sounds amazing, there is a rich story (so far) and the mechanics/gameplay are solid. The issue is that.....it's completely bugged to the point that it just isn't worth playing at the minute in its current state.

I  would simply shelve the game, for now, and await it being fixed. Once the game breaking bugs are resolved, I think this will be a great game- certainly one worth picking up and playing. Until then...I would just wait. This game needs to work in order to entice other developers to the isometric "IE style" genre. BG1&2 are still my ALL TIME favourite games and I have been longing for a game that captures my imagination to the same extent that BG1&2 did...

I usually try to avoid making gripe posts, but my level of frustration and irritation with PoE is growing at such a rate that I kind of just have to let it out this time.

Despite being highly interested in a spiritual successor to the IE games of my halcyon youth, I didn't back the Kickstarter for PoE because I wasn't interested in playing a WIP/beta game. Instead, I bought the game a couple days after its official launch, but nevertheless, it feels like I'm playing a late beta version.

When literally not a single day can go by without me reading about or encountering a new major bug, I think it's fair to say that the game has launched in an unacceptable state. Disappearing passive bonuses from double-clicking to equip armor, endlessly stacking attributes from loading a saved game, disappearing focus regeneration from equipping an item designed specifically for the only class in the game which uses focus...

sounds like every other game that has come out in recent memory. not sure why you are singleling this game out? however unlike something like Assassins Creed Unity this game was delayed numerous times and actively beta tested for many months. Like all massive RPG the sheer scale and complexity means that not everythign can be caught in beta. So yes on some level one would always expect for the first few weeks a large scale testing of a launched game to be the first port of call.

Seriously I can not think of a single RPG that launched without issues and I mean in 20 years worth.

You choose to buy a computer game on launch week, trouble is always expected. Even some of the greatest games launched broken. What happens next is whats important.

As someone who DID pay ofr and play the beta backer, I'm fnding this hilarious. The difference between the beta and the final release -- especially that first beta -- is like light and day.