Didn't realize I was paying to join late beta...

I usually try to avoid making gripe posts, but my level of frustration and irritation with PoE is growing at such a rate that I kind of just have to let it out this time.

Despite being highly interested in a spiritual successor to the IE games of my halcyon youth, I didn't back the Kickstarter for PoE because I wasn't interested in playing a WIP/beta game. Instead, I bought the game a couple days after its official launch, but nevertheless, it feels like I'm playing a late beta version.

When literally not a single day can go by without me reading about or encountering a new major bug, I think it's fair to say that the game has launched in an unacceptable state. Disappearing passive bonuses from double-clicking to equip armor, endlessly stacking attributes from loading a saved game, disappearing focus regeneration from equipping an item designed specifically for the only class in the game which uses focus...

These are not bizarre, obscure bugs which only a small portion of the player base is likely to encounter, these are things which virtually every player is likely to encounter in the normal course of completing the game.

I'm still enjoying much of what PoE has to offer, but you can rest assured that I won't be making the mistake of paying full price for an Obsidian-developed game any time in the near future.

• Like 4

Well, I won't repeat myself about how bugs and game development work. 

Patch fixing all known major problems & lots more expected tomorrow: https://forums.obsidian.net/blog/7/entry-179-patch-notes-103/

"virtually every player is likely to encounter in the normal course of completing the game."

Clearly and objectively untrue, as the many many posters on this very forum will tell you. 

• Like 6

I usually try to avoid making gripe posts, but my level of frustration and irritation with PoE is growing at such a rate that I kind of just have to let it out this time.

Despite being highly interested in a spiritual successor to the IE games of my halcyon youth, I didn't back the Kickstarter for PoE because I wasn't interested in playing a WIP/beta game. Instead, I bought the game a couple days after its official launch, but nevertheless, it feels like I'm playing a late beta version.

When literally not a single day can go by without me reading about or encountering a new major bug, I think it's fair to say that the game has launched in an unacceptable state. Disappearing passive bonuses from double-clicking to equip armor, endlessly stacking attributes from loading a saved game, disappearing focus regeneration from equipping an item designed specifically for the only class in the game which uses focus...

These are not bizarre, obscure bugs which only a small portion of the player base is likely to encounter, these are things which virtually every player is likely to encounter in the normal course of completing the game.

I'm still enjoying much of what PoE has to offer, but you can rest assured that I won't be making the mistake of paying full price for an Obsidian-developed game any time in the near future.

Beta testers are not the Obsidian QA team, I don't see why this is so hard to understand. The majority of players did not access the beta.

Also, the beta was a controlled environment with limited areas to be accessed, limited items and limited class options.

This is how releases for every game work, nothing non-trivial gets released without the need for patching. Just be happy that Obsidian is on top of it; look at the content in the patch being released after 5 business days!

Edited by View619
  • Like 2

This is how releases for every game work, nothing non-trivial gets released without the need for patching.

Every Nintendo game did.

Pretty sure Nintendo games had their fair share of bugs. Player base just accepts them for what they are, afaik.

This is how releases for every game work, nothing non-trivial gets released without the need for patching.

Every Nintendo game did.

Yep, Nintendo in the 80's. The Nintendo that pissed off developers with their Q&A so much that all the third party developers left them. Those were the good days, I guess. 

Also, PC/Console.

• Like 1

To be honest i encountered 2 bugs myself.. TWO - one is the insect swarm spell cast from certain NPC enemies. two - game froze on the dialog launch once i defeated the last enemy.

I would say it is a pretty good recrod for the game of this magnitude within limited budget.

• Like 2

Yep, Nintendo in the 80's. The Nintendo that pissed off developers with their Q&A so much that all the third party developers left them. Those were the good days, I guess. 

Every Nintendo game up until 2014 (or maybe 2015) was released without patching.

You can be damn sure that first party Nintendo games didn't have major gamebreaking bugs (like stats ballooning out of control if you save your game, or disappearing if you equip an item the wrong way).

Also, PC/Console.

So much for PC Master Race.

I like the game and I like Obsidian but it simply baffles my mind how such major bugs could have been shipped. I'm not one of the mouth-breathers who thinks that Obsidian should chain themselves to their workstations releasing hotfixes every 6 hours, but that doesn't mean I can't be critical of them either.

Every Nintendo game up until 2014 (or maybe 2015) was released without patching.

You can be damn sure that first party Nintendo games didn't have major gamebreaking bugs (like stats ballooning out of control if you save your game, or disappearing if you equip an item the wrong way).

Also, PC/Console.

I like the game and I like Obsidian but it simply baffles my mind how such major bugs could have been shipped. I'm not one of the mouth-breathers who thinks that Obsidian should chain themselves to their workstations releasing hotfixes every 6 hours, but that doesn't mean I can't be critical of them either.

This. 

It's a problem of the industry, but a problem nonetheless. If a game has not been tested enough and there are still critical (!) bugs which prevent progression in the main quest, then that is entirely Obsidian's fault and everybody should be complaining about it. 

The game is currently very playable and fun. And patches are already under development. Its impossible for a video game to be released with 0 bugs, especially when built on such a large scale as this one.

It is neither playable nor fun when you get stuck in one of a few instances which won't allow you to progress.

Edited by Molcho
  • Like 1

First rule of sarcasm club:

If you could, please tell everyone you know about sarcasm club! *eye roll*

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Also, I can't tell if this is some super advanced form of trolling, but you realize that Nintendo's Iron Fist QA is what literally saved the american video game industry?

Sure, you can and should be critical of bugs. They suck. 

I just try to have perspective, comparing them to other PC CRPGs to understand what actually might have happened and what can be expected. 

I suppose if some people thought they're comparable to Super Mario Bros, or that bugs only happen if devs don't work hard or if Q&A falls asleep, etc., then they'd be very angry.

Maybe none of the beta testers got stuck with a bug that prevented them from progressing, like 99.9% of the playerbase.

Well, apparently none of them did, otherwise it would have been fixed, right? That is still Obsidian's problem and it is still a valid complaint.

Making up statistics won't change that, either.

• Like 1

I suppose if some people thought they're comparable to Super Mario Bros, or that bugs only happen if devs don't work hard or if Q&A falls asleep, etc., then they'd be very angry.

You realize that Nintendo has published a plethora of RPGs on consoles?

Anyway, I'm not angry at Obsidian. Just disappointed. When you can duplicate a stat bug simply by saving your game on the same map you recruited a follower on, that's not some crazy weird one in a million who could predict it quirk of code. That's a glaring error. I don't know why they didn't catch it.

• Like 2

Nintendo games had a benefit of being developed for a single platform - Nintendo only, this means resources are less tied up to QC/develop for a whole bunch of platforms. Also from what I have gathered and noticed, Nintendo's platforms and games are less complicated - which helps a lot. Their infamous QC obviously being the other big factor.

That said, Obsidian need to up their ante on QC. But what we are seeing here (bug-wise) is par for the course for almost all large scale games ... you can play upon release, but beware the bugs! 

Edited by brionkj
  • Like 3

I think it is still important to support companies that are making RPG's. There are so few of them. We should be encouraging them to do better next time with promises of continued support. What have they done well and what could they do better? promises not to pay full price for the next game will not encourage them to make a next game.

• Like 2

Major spellbind: trollification

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

I've always felt the development of PoE feels like it's been about 6 months behind where it should be. Originally it was supposed to be released last December. The beta when it was first released felt more like an alpha and the current game feels like it needed a few more weeks before they released it. But they had to release the game sometime and unfortunately for some players, it hasn't been an enjoyable experience as seen in the technical sub-forum. I'm sure over the next couple of patches the game will feel more like a polished stable game that players expect than it currently is.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II
  • Like 1

When literally not a single day can go by without me reading about or encountering a new major bug, I think it's fair to say that the game has launched in an unacceptable state.

I understand frustration over bugs that negatively impact your gameplay, but how exactly does reading about a bug hurt you?

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I'm in Act III and I haven't personally experienced any bugs that barred my progress in the game.  Others have finished the game, so apparently I'm not completely alone.

After reading your post I couldn't help but look back at the thread title, and then think about the backers, some of whom paid very large sums of money and then actually beta tested the game so that the rest of us could pay less and then enjoy the game with fewer bugs.  If you had been a backer, and were here to complain about bugs you reported in the beta not being fixed before release, then I would sympathize more.

Edited by Emptiness
  • Like 2

Same here, no almost any bug yet (about 30 hours behind). Some small but not any major. It is very interesting that some people have so many some people nothing. I dont envy Obsidan job try to fix and to please everybody...