How can Obsidian revolutionize RPG gaming

KOTOR 1 was revolutionary in itself. The storyline, character interactment, and enviroments really absored players. So how can KOTOR 2 add a new standard to the world of RPG gaming?

I believe it will gain this stature, by creating huge world, where players literally can get lost. Not only will it make the game longer, but allows for more unique locations, and more places to explore.

imo.... much bigger locations than kotor 1

as long as it really feels star wars i think everyone will like it

even moments when some ... let's say bosses try to seduce u more to the dark side (if u aren't dark yet ;))

It needs to be really fun . i dunno how to accomplish that tbh ... it's a combination of good graphics gameplay ... well i mean improve every aspect of the 1st game and NICE VOICE ACTING this is the best element in games imo (bastila's voice acting sucked in kotor1-i was bored when she spoke)

Frankly ? :)

They can't

1. Too many limitations for them to work with. The setting is predefined, with a lot of rules for do's and dont's.
  2. They are (re)using existing technology in form of the engine. They can at best tinker and fine tune it, but it will be an engine with mechanisms that has mostly been seen before.
  3. They are making a sequel to a commercial success. They have certain parameter within which they can operate content and character wise. Otherwise they will probably not get good references for their next project. (Kotor2, the Horror splatter BDSM game? not likely)

Which is why I think that, at the best they can make a great game, and hopefully give them a name and a bit of dollars. If it's a success, they will have a bit more room to manouvre in their next project. Hopefully, they'll someday be in a position, where they have their own projects, looking for publishers :)

Thats when they will be in a position to make small revolutions.

So they are probably doing what they can (also mentioned in the interviews) to help themselves. One: fix the most immediate problems from the first one. Two: Take what was good in the first game, expand on that. Which is what they can do with the "raw material" they have.

Didn't some Obsidian guy (Feargus?) mention at the founding of Obsidian that they didn't really intend to be a RPG developer only ? ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

well i think...

1. make the game harder

2. better charicter customisation

3. have day and night.

More clothing and additinal accesories you can have. (like morrowind)(i think this is been done)

4. larger enviroments

5. perhaps more freedom, but still keep the eliments of a liner/open ended RPG(err yea)

well i think...

5. perhaps more freedom, but still keep the eliments of a liner/open ended RPG(err yea)

That's a developers nightmare, how do you balance it properly enough to give the player the illusion of total freedom without making the story suffer?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I tend to agree with Gorth. Kotor2 will be a great game but I don't expect it to be revolutionary. From what I've seen so far though, there's a lot more imagination on display. However, you're still limited by what the engine is capable of and the constraints set by the publisher. And what would revolutionize the genre anyway? I think you'd need a great leap in technology before that is possible. A go-anywhere, do-anything kind of game, with unlimited interaction.

well i think...

That's a developers nightmare, how do you balance it properly enough to give the player the illusion of total freedom without making the story suffer?

yes i know.but i guess im just saying that because the game was so short. parhaps making the game longer will solve the problem or just make each section larger.

and by freedom i mean, killing people i dont like.

well i think...

yes i know.but i guess im just saying that because the game was so short. parhaps making the game longer will solve the problem or just make each section larger.

and by freedom i mean, killing people i dont like.

Hehehe.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

KotOR 2 will follow the same formula and hve the same engine, it will be played very safe, and won't revolutionize anything.

KotOR 1 was hardly revolutionary either, it was a good game, but the only thing that makes some people think its great is that it is star wars.

Let's keep the T&A in FanTAsy

***Posting delayed, user on moderator review***

Why Bio Why?

KOTOR 1 was revolutionary in itself. The storyline, character interactment, and enviroments really absored players. So how can KOTOR 2 add a new standard to the world of RPG gaming?

dumber than a bag of hammers

or just make each section larger.

Yea, increase the game playing time by having you walk further for the fed ex quests :p

Let's keep the T&A in FanTAsy

***Posting delayed, user on moderator review***

Why Bio Why?

or just make each section larger.

Yea, increase the game playing time by having you walk further for the fed ex quests :blink:

im sorry i dont get what your saying...why would you increase the size of somthing, if not to fill it?

Not really, we can say that Planescape:Torment did that and it was well before SW:KotOR come into existence.

I would point out Baldur's Gate but it lacked on party menber interaction and Baldur

drakron.png

Why should they? You obvious cna't say anything new and you'll be buying both KOTOR2 and Dragon Age as soon as either comes out so :blink: .

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

huh, sounds like you want Morrowind2 not KOTOR2. all things being equal, i like big games to small ones, longer games to shorter ones, etc but size for its own sake is no good unless the game makes it worthwhile. otherwise you end up with another Morrowind: a gigantic game filled with unique locations to explore, all of which were actually kind of dull.

Agreed.

No, KOTOR was not revolutionary, nor will KOTORII be any different.

Of course, i don't see it as a problem, at least for now.

Hopefully one day we'll see an original title from Obsidian, even a revolutionary one...

Why should they? You obvious cna't say anything new and you'll be buying both KOTOR2 and Dragon Age as soon as either comes out so :blink: .

You notice I said nothing about Dragon Age so far, the fact if I buy it will depend on several factors and since besides the name we have no info released ...

As for The Munchkin Lords, so far the balance tilts towards "pass" but there is a lot of things I dont know, one thing its sure since I do not live in the US of A the fact its "having it" on release its not a issue, I will stand in line until Activision is done with it (since they are the european publisher of LucasArts games) so I have the time to read reviews and first impressions.

drakron.png

huh, sounds like you want Morrowind2 not KOTOR2. all things being equal, i like big games to small ones, longer games to shorter ones, etc but size for its own sake is no good unless the game makes it worthwhile. otherwise you end up with another Morrowind: a gigantic game filled with unique locations to explore, all of which were actually kind of dull.

*slap* thats elder scrolls 4, not morrowind 2

Obsidian could revolutionize CRPG games by letting our choices have an affect on the story, and get of the railroading story lines that are so common, while still make a good story.

That would give great replayability.

As long as Obsidian is making hand-me-down games like KotOR they will never make a revolution in computer role playing games, but doing so often means taking a big risk and Feargus is wise to play it safe for now.

Hard core CRPG fans who were disappointed with certain parts of KotOR, such as the horrid combat system, party management, and AI, will and should give KotOR2 a pass over and wait for the next Obsidian game.