Sorry but it's really really really terrible! You have to rest everytime you have been in combat just to regenerate your spells. So basically, you need to run around with 8000 campfire kits in your stash? You even run out of spells DURING combat!!! What kind of amateur wizard has to take a nap after casting 4 spells?

Wtf, man? Why couldn't you just make the spell system work like Neverwinter Nights or something like that? What's the point of this? I did one hour of playing wizard and got so annoyed and tired of it that I rage-quit the game.

Lame, lame, lame.

Edited by Abbey

No, no, no....you have to auto-attack for 90% of the game if you play Wiz.  That is good game design, Josh said so.  All those IE classics got it wrong, casters don't cast, they auto attack. Save your spells for hard battles, and control real classes like Grieving Milf inbetween.

Ranger,  mean Wizard!

(No But seriously, give your Wiz an arbelast at least he'll do damage on small fights.)

Edited by Parsong

You're not talking about the spell system; you're talking about the wizard. Different classes have different spell systems, if the wizard doesn't do it for you, try a Cipher instead, or a Druid.

The wizard is really good, but kinda a pain since you have to manage your spells carefully and not use more of them than you need while still making use of them when you need to. Not everyone likes that kind of resource management; if that includes you go ahead and pick a different spell casting class. They made them function differently for a reason.

I think the spell spamming Druids and Ciphers with their steady level progress are kinda boring. I much prefer the resource management oriented wizards who start off weak but end up powerhouses with uber spells like confusion are more interesting.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

OK, I may try one of the other spell casters then. But the wizard is dead to me! DEAD!!!

Say it ain't so! Actually, I'm still having a blast with my mage. Of course, I was somewhat dismayed to find out that I'd ended up with two, but no biggie. As long as Wizards are viable, I don't care if they're gimpy in one particular game or another. I'm still going to play one.
  • Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Sorry but it's really really really terrible! You have to rest everytime you have been in combat just to regenerate your spells. So basically, you need to run around with 8000 campfire kits in your stash?

I can assure you that you don't have to do that!  I'm playing a wizard PC on Hard mode (max = 2 campfires, well short of 8000).  I don't rest every time I've been in combat.  I still manage to cast spells in most fights - the bigger the fight, the more I cast.  If you're casting everything you have in every single fight, that's not how it's meant to be played.  In PnP, most DMs won't even allow you to rest spam.

In spite of playing the opposite of how you say I "have to", my wizard is the top damage dealer in the party by a wide margin, and that's on top of the AOE CC and debuffs he dishes out.  It just takes a different style of play that rewards medium term thinking over short term thinking.

• Like 3

Grieving Milf inbetween.

lold

• Like 1

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

Sorry but it's really really really terrible! You have to rest everytime you have been in combat just to regenerate your spells. So basically, you need to run around with 8000 campfire kits in your stash? You even run out of spells DURING combat!!! What kind of amateur wizard has to take a nap after casting 4 spells?

Wtf, man? Why couldn't you just make the spell system work like Neverwinter Nights or something like that? What's the point of this? I did one hour of playing wizard and got so annoyed and tired of it that I rage-quit the game.

Lame, lame, lame.

The 1st and 2nd level kind.  What ever you do, don't play any classic table top role playing games.  I'd hate to see your head explode.

• Like 1

Say it ain't so! Actually, I'm still having a blast with my mage.

... I see what you did there. :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I really enjoy the challenge of managing short and long term resources. I challenge myself to see how long I can go without rest. There is a good balance of per encounter and per rest spells and abilities available for a well built party. Best of all, there is actually a point to trying to conserve rest, since it is somewhat limited.

I think they got it just right, myself. When you are controlling 6 party members, you want each individual to spend the majority of time auto-attacking, IMO. It means that unleashing a Fireball is actually a big deal as well, makes it more satisfying when I pull out my real firepower to tackle a more difficult encounter.

Sorry but it's really really really terrible! You have to rest everytime you have been in combat just to regenerate your spells. So basically, you need to run around with 8000 campfire kits in your stash?

I can assure you that you don't have to do that!  I'm playing a wizard PC on Hard mode (max = 2 campfires, well short of 8000).  I don't rest every time I've been in combat.  I still manage to cast spells in most fights - the bigger the fight, the more I cast.  If you're casting everything you have in every single fight, that's not how it's meant to be played.  In PnP, most DMs won't even allow you to rest spam.

In spite of playing the opposite of how you say I "have to", my wizard is the top damage dealer in the party by a wide margin, and that's on top of the AOE CC and debuffs he dishes out.  It just takes a different style of play that rewards medium term thinking over short term thinking.

^ yup.

Another funny thing:

In D&D, as a Wizard, if you had prepped 2 PewPew spells, and you cast both of those, you could still have the ability to cast more LvL-1 spells, but be unable to cast any more PewPew spells because all you had left was GlowShield spells.

In PoE, if you cast 2 out of 4 spells, the last two can still be whatever is in your Grimoire, rather than specific, individual spells.

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u