How to play the game without meta gaming?

Is there any way to learn if an area is too difficult without resorting to dying and reloading?  I despise meta gaming. Is every encounter in the game designed around having six party members?

It just feels this game wasn't balanced properly which results in a die and reload which completely destroys immersion. My goal with this post is for people to tell me how to avoid meta gaming while still being able to enjoy the game in a blind play through.

Edited by luzarius

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

From what I've played (not too far into it yet), I'd say if you follow the critical path you'll probably be okay with a full party. Side quests and random exploration will likely get you into trouble though.

For the most part, that works out OK and you won't have to reload much. There are a unfortunately a few places that aren't balanced well enough. I obviously won't spoil where they are since you don't like metagaming.

I've hit level 8 now and I can remember three places where the balance was a little off and I'd expect the average player to have to reload.

Edited by termokanden

Wait, so "balanced" means you shouldn't die? That sounds terrible. If I never die, I might as well play on god mode. 

If you want to play that way, that's of course fine. Things you can do are to take 6 party members as soon as you can, to play on easy mode, and to keep characters like Eder who tend to be easiest to make durable. Remember you can also craft and eat food when going dungeoneering, as they tend to last a long time and those little boosts do add up.

I don't know what that has to do with claiming the game isn't balanced because you die. But hopefully those things help. 

• Like 2

Is there any way to learn if an area is too difficult without resorting to dying and reloading?  I despise meta gaming. Is every encounter in the game designed around having six party members?

It just feels this game wasn't balanced properly which results in a die and reload which completely destroys immersion. My goal with this post is for people to tell me how to avoid meta gaming while still being able to enjoy the game in a blind play through.

On the road = safe.

Off the road = not safe.

If you want to explore areas off the trail, then do so retroactively or be extremely cautious while doing so. (AKA sneak and come prepared)

Edited by Longknife
  • Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

It's very easy. You must use common sense, tactics and tryhard mode. I didn't find area with unbeatable opponents for my level except bear cave. However in blind play through you propably will need full party and change difficulty to easy. On normal i die only when my brain go derpy and start a fight in the open or woth range dps in wrong position. Don't charge ahead, do quests, earn some exp and then continue traveling.

This is the worst combat system I've ever experienced in the history of me playing RPG's and I've played a lot. There is no challenge scale of any kind. It's just a die and reload, how dumb. 

I still can't tell if I'm supposed to be in an area or not.

My mage elf guy keeps dying since there is no way for the tank to taunt.

Is it normal to have to run back to the inn and rest after every fight?

Edited by luzarius

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Guest Matt Sheets

Act 1 was balanced for having 3-4 people on the lower difficulties in your party.

Act 2 was balanced for having 6 people in your party.

• Like 1

This is the worst combat system I've ever experienced in the history of me playing RPG's and I've played a lot. There is no challenge scale of any kind. It's just a die and reload, how dumb.

Have you played Baldur's Gate? Icewind Dale? What kind of combat system were you expecting? What are your specific complaints? Because clearly you're in the minority or just trolling. Could the combat system use some work? Sure. Is it the worst ever? Umm. I'm not inclined to dignify that with a response. :p

Edited by Matt516

Is it normal to have to run back to the inn and rest after every fight?

No. If that keeps happening, you should (1) lower the difficulty, and (2) if you have done so already, consult some of the many beginner's guides out there to help you get a grip on the combat system, because this would mean your party is struggling with every battle right now.

Man, I keep seeing you making posts about how this system is wrong, or how this isnt balanced right because of "nitpicky and pedantic/irrelevant reason"

Now you're complaning about dying in a CRPG?

Either just play on easy, or realise you DON'T.LIKE.THE.GAME and stop playing already, stop trying to make it what its not.

Wait, so "balanced" means you shouldn't die? That sounds terrible. If I never die, I might as well play on god mode. 

If you want to play that way, that's of course fine. Things you can do are to take 6 party members as soon as you can, to play on easy mode, and to keep characters like Eder who tend to be easiest to make durable. Remember you can also craft and eat food when going dungeoneering, as they tend to last a long time and those little boosts do add up.

I don't know what that has to do with claiming the game isn't balanced because you die. But hopefully those things help. 

Also craft and use scrolls. Non-priest party members can still cast heals using scrolls, and it's great for having a mage stay combat-relevant when out of spell casts, but the rest of the party is still good to go.

Have a character with stealth scout out the area... check the number of monsters, hover over them to see their DR and other stats.

Refer to the bestiary for more information on how to hurt the monsters the most, lacking that use some sound judgement. For example, Fire Elementals are probably going to be weak to cold ;)

Use some good tactics. By scouting you get the initiative, which you can easily use to your advantage with a few range shots and spells to soften up the opposition before going into a brawl.

Really no need to meta game, though to be honest, if you don't meta game you'll probably miss out on some nice hidden loot that's really hard to find! Of course you can always just scout everywhere for those hidden stashes, I do it, but I can see how others might find that tedious. To each their own really.

Have you played Baldur's Gate? Icewind Dale? What kind of combat system were you expecting? What are your specific complaints? Because clearly you're in the minority or just trolling. Could the combat system use some work? Sure. Is it the worst ever? Umm. I'm not inclined to dignify that with a response. :p

Guys, I'm glad that you guys are happy with the game, don't listen to me. I'm not really a gamer, I just enjoy the story in RPG's.

I found out that you can buy companions in the game.

Basically I just buy companions until I have max party, now I am enjoying the game since my party can actually do some damage now.

Hopefully six companions is enough to breeze through most fights on normal.