So, about chinese localisation......

xueh2005

Question

Hi I'm a chinese player and I've played Baldur's Gate Icewind Dale Neverwinter Nights etc for so many years, finally Now we have Pillars of Eternity to play and I wish that we could have the chinese localisation while playing and as I know there is a group has contacted Obisidian and willing to work for the chinese localisation but unfortunately there is NOT so I really have big difficulty playing and understanding the game so I want to know why???????

I really really really really really really really really really like Pillars of Eternity Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Hi I'm a chinese player and I've played Baldur's Gate Icewind Dale Neverwinter Nights etc for so many years, finally Now we have Pillars of Eternity to play and I wish that we could have the chinese localisation while playing and as I know there is a group has contacted Obisidian and willing to work for the chinese localisation but unfortunately there is NOT so I really have big difficulty playing and understanding the game so I want to know why???????

I really really really really really really really really really like Pillars of Eternity Thanks!

So they're actually willing to pay a little something for software in China, these days?  It may not be something you're interested in looking at, but that may well be a factor in why more Chinese localizations aren't done, or done more rapidly, anyway.  But hey...

Your English here is very good, and I have to admit that Chinese text is like braille to me (incomprehensible), and that if the game had been done in Chinese text & voice that I would have absolutely no way of knowing whether I liked the game or not...;)  That fact that you like it so much, along with your English here,  indicates to me that your understanding of the game is already very good--else you'd not know whether you liked it or not (since if our positions were reversed I wouldn't be able to say heads or tails about the game!)   Give yourself more credit for your English--I'll wager it is much better than you think...;)

It's very well known that I don't make mistakes, so if you should stumble across the odd error here and there in what I have written, you may immediately deduce--quite correctly--that I did not write it... :biggrin:

没办法!我推荐你自己翻译!

Sorry,couldn't resist the chance to practice.

Well, firstly, I sympathize. Some of the dialogue in PoE is really difficult to understand. Must be really tough playing in your second language. Perhaps if you can prove to Obsidian that there's a big demand in the Chinese speaking world, they might someday include a Chinese translation.

However, looking at some of the other language threads (German etc.) it doesn't sound like the translations were done very well anyway...

• Like 1

So they're actually willing to pay a little something for software in China, these days?  It may not be something you're interested in looking at, but that may well be a factor in why more Chinese localizations aren't done, or done more rapidly, anyway.  But hey...

Your English here is very good, and I have to admit that Chinese text is like braille to me (incomprehensible), and that if the game had been done in Chinese text & voice that I would have absolutely no way of knowing whether I liked the game or not... ;)  That fact that you like it so much, along with your English here,  indicates to me that your understanding of the game is already very good--else you'd not know whether you liked it or not (since if our positions were reversed I wouldn't be able to say heads or tails about the game!)   Give yourself more credit for your English--I'll wager it is much better than you think... ;)

So thanks and... yeah some of us still want to pay... I respect the work of the others especially the good work that Obsidian has done. This is a question I have no power to change to resolve...

I must say that the translation work done in Baldur's game Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights etc are just extraordinary! So that's why I am so fond of these games because I was really attracted by the story.

About my english... well I may could communicate with english speakers by using some basic words but the english in the game they are really really not just the same level as I have... way too much difficult... so I guess we won't have the resolution here and I have to play the game so so slowly with the dictionary by my side but it would lose so much so much fun...

Edited by xueh2005

没办法!我推荐你自己翻译!

Sorry,couldn't resist the chance to practice.

Well, firstly, I sympathize. Some of the dialogue in PoE is really difficult to understand. Must be really tough playing in your second language. Perhaps if you can prove to Obsidian that there's a big demand in the Chinese speaking world, they might someday include a Chinese translation.

However, looking at some of the other language threads (German etc.) it doesn't sound like the translations were done very well anyway...

哎...我只能边翻字典边玩了......

Maybe I don't have the patience as you do and each time I feel depressed when I think about that early in 2012 the http://trow.cc/ has contacted Obsidian that they were willing to work for the Chinese translation and three years later no chinese version... so...

Edited by xueh2005