How to translate ? .stringtable, tags etc

Entarion

Question

Hello,

We started our fan translation to Czech language. I am currently translating Calisca using Notepad++ (just basic tool, I know)

The structure of XML file looks like this below. Problem is that it's not always very clear who says those phrases. NPC (Calisca) or player's character? Sometimes it is even out of context. So this is not very helpful for translators. Am I missing something here ? Are there any tags which clearly state who says which phrase ? I will be glad for any technical help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<Entry>
      <ID>1</ID>
      <DefaultText>"You're the one who's supposed to be from some bigshot noble family, that true?"</DefaultText>
      <FemaleText />
    </Entry>
    <Entry>
      <ID>2</ID>
      <DefaultText>"That's right. Royal blood runs through my veins."</DefaultText>
      <FemaleText />
    </Entry>
    <Entry>
      <ID>3</ID>
      <DefaultText>"Yeah? How is it you happened to come here?"</DefaultText>
      <FemaleText />
    </Entry>
    <Entry>
      <ID>4</ID>
      <DefaultText>"Someone tried to poison me."</DefaultText>
      <FemaleText />
    </Entry>

8 answers to this question

In the XML sample above, there are 4 strings, each given an ID. The .conversation files dictate the dialogue structure and where each string is used. The .conversation files do this by referring to the ID's in the .strintable files.

Try using Xaratas' awesome quest editor. It's not finished, but I think it can solve your problem.

Yes, that is possible in the current version, including direct edits. It also shows who says what. PlayerResponsNodes are your charackter, all others are npcs, i have the name for nearly everyone included, its not the RPG ingame name of the npc, but the file itself limit who it could be.

To use the output you need to open the browser console (Inspect element in the context menu), there it will be written.

Yes, but there's no way - as far as I can see - to link an ID to another one.

For instance ID 3 is "Blunderbuss", but there's no way to know the corresponding ID (which is ID 256) of the related description. For this example it's easy because the description starts with "Blunderbusses are matchlock firearms..." but there are other examples which are not so obvious.

Basically I'm looking for the internal relational database that links these IDs together.

Yes, but there's no way - as far as I can see - to link an ID to another one.

For instance ID 3 is "Blunderbuss", but there's no way to know the corresponding ID (which is ID 256) of the related description. For this example it's easy because the description starts with "Blunderbusses are matchlock firearms..." but there are other examples which are not so obvious.

Basically I'm looking for the internal relational database that links these IDs together.

I have no idea, but I'd expect there to be no such database, and that the item itself calls up for the string ID. Short of somehow checking each individual item, I don't think it can be done, and I have no idea how you'd even check that per item.

t50aJUd.jpg

Oh, its easy to check it per item. Just open the detail description of the item and then find a few words of the description in the files. (use grep on mac/linux or xsearch on windows)

Nearly all are distinctive enough (except the one priest spell which has for the medium and large stamina recovery version the same text id -.-).

• Like 1