My words taken at face value are fully true. I'm impressed that the week one patch showed such quick reactivity to obviously overpowered things that made it to release. I had expected the patch to basically be just bug fixes.

Then color me impressed to find someone else around here who isn't crying about the much-needed arbalest nerf.

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

Guns got nerfed before released, Arbalest turns out to be great at release, gets nerfed in this patch.

Arbalest and Arquebus are so slow I don't even know why you'd use them now because the damage isn't good compared to the speed at which they fire/reload. 

Guns got nerfed before released, Arbalest turns out to be great at release, gets nerfed in this patch.

Arbalest and Arquebus are so slow I don't even know why you'd use them now because the damage isn't good compared to the speed at which they fire/reload. 

Their damage is actually amazing considering their reload times. Even after the nerf the arbalest is still pretty good (though it's behind the guns now).

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

so, how exactly were reckless assault fixed?  perhaps one needs start a new game 'cause previous accrued deflection penalties have Not been removed. am admitting to being a smidge annoyed.  

and not that it matters much, but the hearth harvest inventory icon is about 1/3 larger than it should be.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Awesome, the balance fixes address most of the little niggles I've been having with it (spam Slicken as solution to any fight, OP Mind Blades, arbalest stronger than arquebus). Didn't even notice Chill Fog was foe-only, I had been using it as if it was regular AoE damage. 

Nice going with the bugfixes too natch.

I wonder, will capes and cloaks show up on OS X?

The only thing is, Mind Blades was a bit underpowered - at least from my experience with multiple ciphers in multiple groups......  Average damage per hit on mobs has always been fairly low, even with high stats to boost damage.

The only thing is, Mind Blades was a bit underpowered - at least from my experience with multiple ciphers in multiple groups......  Average damage per hit on mobs has always been fairly low, even with high stats to boost damage.

It was very powerful owing to the fact that it had no positional requirement and could be cast multiple times without attacking by Ciphers. My Hard runthrough of the game consisted predominantly of two Ciphers using either Mental Binding or Mind Blades while the rest of the group sat around and watched.

It was very powerful owing to the fact that it had no positional requirement and could be cast multiple times without attacking by Ciphers. My Hard runthrough of the game consisted predominantly of two Ciphers using either Mental Binding or Mind Blades while the rest of the group sat around and watched.

mind blades mighta been less o' a problem than it at first appeared.  mind blades is countered by deflection.  cast mind blades on a group that is blind and prone or paralyzed and you are gonna see considerable crit hits.  cast slicken and make entire mob prone, then add one or two additional effects with a mind blades kicker?  the nerfs o' wizard spells were likely to have more impact on our use o' mind blades than did the patch nerf o' mind blades itself.

am gonna need see how it actual plays.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

That Arbalest nerf was well done and a good sign for balance patches going forward.

Despite your sarcasm, your words taken at face value are actually half-true: the arbalest was by far the best ranged weapon. Not only did it have the excellent spike damage to remove a threat as soon as the fight began, it also had the highest sustained DPS in the game. Even with one third of its damage taken it's still equivalent DPS (but still better at bursting enemies down) to the crossbow at about 5 DR and higher relative DPS as DR increases.

Of course they didn't nerf the Arquebus, which wasn't far behind the Arbalest. It, and probably the pistol, need some nerfing while the hunting bow, war bow, and crossbow need some buffing.

The arquebus doesn't need a nerf. It's only barely better than the arbalest in damage and literally nothing else.

I agree, firearms don't need a nerf. They're devastating in an opening volley but the long reload time makes up for it. If you want to invest into Gunner and Sure-Handed Whoosis to make them viable again, that's fine -- there's a significant opportunity cost for that.

Haven't used bows much so I don't know if they need a buff. Sagani and Itumaak seem to be doing fine with the hunting bow + Penetrating Shot though.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com