Bleh, I was hoping for DR / Deflection buff on a monk, really disappointed :(

Freakin' why? The monk is an already very powerful class.

Compared to who?

Compared to any of them. Not saying they're better than the other classes (besides the Ranger), but they are perfectly powerful; you just need to know how to use them.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Actually Barb is way more powerfull than Monk, so if monk is very powerfull i wonder what Barb is atm....

I tryed a MOnk lvl 12 it does like 5-10 per hit

I used mine as a tank. I didn't use him for damage.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

Actually Barb is way more powerfull than Monk, so if monk is very powerfull i wonder what Barb is atm....

I'm not sure why you would tank with a Monk when you can Use a Paladin and a Fighter with special ability to tank... Most of Monk ability/skill are offensive one and we dont need dps for a tank. So i'm not sure what you mean by powerfull.

I'm not sure why you would tank with a Monk when you can Use a Paladin and a Fighter with special ability to tank... Most of Monk ability/skill are offensive one and we dont need dps for a tank. So i'm not sure what you mean by powerfull.

By "powerful" I meant that it's an effective class.

Why did I use a monk to Tank? Simple, the monk has High Health/Endurance, High Deflection, and has a class talent to lower the enemies MIG by 2 with high accuracy so it will hit. Gains a talent that grants access to 2 modals; one that grants +8 deflection with no dps penalty, or +8 fortitude-will-reflex with no dps penalty (suck it defensive stance).

The monk is great as a tank and a buff to deflection or DR would make the class OP.

Reduced antelope feet sliding.

THANK GOD

I am also intrigued by the "Companion Attributes" adjusted point. Certainly the companions are far from ideal with some of them being outright appalling Grieving Mother in particular is inexplicable. But to have their stats adjusted mid game just feels weird to me.

Edited by Bhazor

Balance?  Is this an mmo?  Why are so many people telling others how they should or shouldn't play?

In a game where the gameplay is all about the combat, having clear Best Solutions kind of undermines the fun of putting together parties from the varied classes. The developers are clearly concerned about the balance being off, so letting them know what we think is too good and too weak is a good thing, not presumptuous.

• Like 2

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

Balance?  Is this an mmo?  Why are so many people telling others how they should or shouldn't play?

Not being multiplayer does not absolve a game of a need for balance as poor balance where one class is comparatively much stronger than the rest or much weaker means that content and all the efforts put into it by the developers will likely never be experienced by a large portion of the community as it's simply unenjoyable to do so when compared to other alternatives.

But don't worry, I hear the next patch is going to remove Wizard's ability to have hands. Things'll be fixed soon.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

But don't worry, I hear the next patch is going to remove Wizard's ability to have hands. Things'll be fixed soon.

lol Also:

1) Grimoire limited to 1 spell per level

2) Endurance/Health ratio for wizards reduced to 1:2

3) Fireball now a single target spell

4) All spells from the "Minoletta" spell line toned down to 1 missile fired

5) Wizard Godlikes (there's your oxymoron!) now lack both a head AND neck slot in the inventory

6) Grimoire swap cooldown increased by 500 seconds.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 4

Nerf to slicken..I can get over that. Now I will actually use other spells. Slicken was pretty much all you needed to do for the first 7 levels

Nerf to Arbalest...this one sucks. My Ranger was an Arbalest master. I also built Kana as a gunner who chanted to increase our reload speed, that got nerfed too!

It's nice to see the bugs fixed, but was anyone really asking for Wizards to be nerfed? Chill Fog and Slicken were two of the three decent level 1 spells and now they're a lot harder to use effectively. Maybe Wizards become powerful at higher levels, but this game is mostly about the lower ones...

There's more than one reason for balance.

Judge the actual tweaks being made all you'd like, but the whole "this isn't a multiplayer game, SO WHY BALANCE?!" stupified response is a bit silly. It's not about how others are playing. It's about what one option offers versus another option, both of which are available to any given player. If only one human existed in the world, there could still be imbalance in a video game.

And yes, it often gets taken overboard, but that's just cause to not take it overboard. Not pretend the sheer concept is preposterous. If one class did 1 dmg at LvL 9, and another did 1,000 dmg at LvL 9, wouldn't that be imbalanced? Yes? Okay, then clearly balance is a thing.

• Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

lol Also:

1) Grimoire limited to 1 spell per level

2) Endurance/Health ratio for wizards reduced to 1:2

3) Fireball now a single target spell

4) All spells from the "Minoletta" spell line toned down to 1 missile fired

5) Wizard Godlikes (there's your oxymoron!) now lack both a head AND neck slot in the inventory

6) Grimoire swap cooldown increased by 500 seconds.

Confusion is so OP, that the wizard would still be usable at high levels.

• Like 1

Not a lot of talk about the companion balance.

So are they going to make the companions like...not entirely suck?

I mean Eder is actually ok really. He's above average compared to most of the other companions. Sagani is just TERRIBLE all across the board for instance, and her Fox as of now has all 10's in it's stats. This is the same thing for the Wolf Companion for Rangers.

Yup. Aloth is my party howitzer and by far, highest net damage dealer.

he would be our best damage dealer, but with the hm resting scheme, Gromnir has our weezer doing little more than observing for half our battles.  is nothing wrong with that, but it does cut into the damage totals.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

a sword & board monk tank is extreme effective and it has more than a few defensive abilities that make it ideal for that role.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Aloth is more useless than ever when you pick him up. At least I have Hiravius and Grieving Mother although she's going to get some grief from this patch. Looks like if I want a Wizard that can do something, I'll create a high level Wizard from the inn. This is like waiting for the nerf bat in a MMO, but for a single player game. Also noticed, pre-buffs are out:

• All Exhortations are now combat only.
  • Holy Radiance is now combat only.

:(

I mean Eder is actually ok really. He's above average compared to most of the other companions. Sagani is just TERRIBLE all across the board for instance, and her Fox as of now has all 10's in it's stats. This is the same thing for the Wolf Companion for Rangers.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of companions have maxed out Perception (Aloth: 16, Grieving Mother: 17 Sagani: 19). Makes me think they were originally designed for the earlier version when Perception was a more important stat.

I have no idea why Durance has 19 Resolve.