I guess i'm the only one who likes backer npcs

My main problem with them is that I can't interact with them, which breaks immersion for me.

Oh, you're a killer that was never caught? Never mind, I'm just going to ignore that.

That might work for some people but not for me.

If it was a "dead soul" or a book or whatever, no problem, but I dislike the no further interaction.

+1

What are you going to do? "I've looked into your soul and NOW I WILL PUNISH YOU because I totally know you're guilty"? 

I suppose Durance would approve. 

• Like 7

I'm thankful to the people who not just bought, but invested a lot of money to make this game possible. Especially in times where people already go in full rage mode at the Steam forums for any game that cost more than 5 bucks. Those people spent 10, 20 times the money most would not even spent on a full prices tipple A, quad + title.

If it comes to me, they can write all the **** they want. Because without them there would be no game in first place for other to complain about.

• Like 3

My main problem with them is that I can't interact with them, which breaks immersion for me.

Oh, you're a killer that was never caught? Never mind, I'm just going to ignore that.

If it was a "dead soul" or a book or whatever, no problem, but I dislike the no further interaction.

+1

What are you going to do? "I've looked into your soul and NOW I WILL PUNISH YOU because I totally know you're guilty"? 

56109_paladin.jpg

• Like 4

You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin

:cat:

They're easy enough to ignore, the same with the tomb stones, but honestly I would prefer the game without them. Mostly because they're a bit immersion breaking. I might actually have liked them if there were more to them than what currently is, but as it stands right now they're just fluff.

Noob: I thought there would be a part in the story where you had to use one of the back-stories.  In the inn, there's a guy who is half-zombie and a wizard is doing experiments on him, I thought maybe he was important to the story so I made a point to remember him.  He's the reason for the Hollowborn!

Now I find they are all backers...  :facepalm:

Apparently you can kill them without repercussions. Problem solved for those who dislike them?

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

• Like 3

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

+1

56109_paladin.jpg

Well, I do have to agree that I really like the guiltless freedom of always knowing what is evil and what is good :p

But no I wouldn't just walk around and smiting random people, but I would like to invite some of them to my Keep because they've had a hard life, or donate some money (I'm Mr. moneybags after all)

And for the Evil ones, how about some detective work? find out where he/she lives and search their place for clues.

All I'm saying is this:

When adding NPCs with a story to the game, and then having the player not being able to interact with them make for some bad immersion, if they were dead souls on the other hand, it would have been a lot more flavourfull.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster . . .

when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you

My main problem with these NPCs is the very high proportion of Godlikes they represent.

Godlikes are supposed to be very rare, but there is a lot of them, especially in Defiance bay. I mean it creates a huge gap between the feeling Pallegina gives you that there is not a lot of them (Even if she basically ignore the fact that you're one too when you play one of them) and reality. 

I mean, with the backers NPC I think I met more godlikes than Orlans, I mean for the moment in the "true" NPCs the only Godlike I met is Pallegina (Still act 2 at Defiance bay though). 

So they're a bit immersion breaking for me.

• Like 1

How do you guys not understand that nearly all the backer npc's soul stories are from their past lives? It's obvious when you read of noble women lounging in chairs and the backer npc is hanging out by the bridge or on the forest.

So anyone wanting to 'punish' them is clearly not even reading the text

Apparently you can kill them without repercussions. Problem solved for those who dislike them?

I lost DB rep when I started slaughtering them so in order to not break possible future quests I have put the backer NPC purge on hold - for now.

• Like 1

How do you guys not understand that nearly all the backer npc's soul stories are from their past lives? It's obvious when you read of noble women lounging in chairs and the backer npc is hanging out by the bridge or on the forest.

So anyone wanting to 'punish' them is clearly not even reading the text

1. Not all of them ARE from a past life, of course I'm not going to punish someone for mistakes they did in past lives, but hey, maybe I see a possibility to make some who used to live  a life of good and fighting crime get back to that path in this life, or they did a noble act and I feel Karma owes them something in return, and as a watcher I can do that.

2. This game works with souls and resurrection in a way that blaming someone for what they did in a previous life is NOT irrational at all it seems, it's something along the line of blaming someone for what their ancestors did, which happens in the real world as well, all the time.

WHAT people want to do isn't the issue, the issue is they're represented as people, but have no interaction other than being murdered.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster . . .

when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you

What actually bothers me is that a large portion of them are some sort of Godlike. Aren't Godlike supposed to be rare? I can deal with them not being an option for genuine interaction (they're like the average 'Commoner' in that regard, really), but it's slightly immersion-breaking for so many of them to belong to rare kith.

I backed at the NPC design level and I went with a simple human. I loved the story Obsidian wrote for her, since they pretty much nailed the character perfectly from the brief description and backstory I gave.

I'd agree that a bit too many went with Godlikes, but it doesn't bother me too much.

I don't really understand why people are so dramatic about the Backer NPCs, aren't they just spirits showing past lives? I guess maybe it would have been better to make it more obvious that they're suppose to be ghosts.

Their stories are part of game lore and is actually pretty damn interesting to read even if some of the names are weird, I hadn't seen any too blatantly out of place. Before I knew that they were backers, I actually just assumed they were from another era and naming conventions may have been a little different back then.

I don't really understand why people are so dramatic about the Backer NPCs, aren't they just spirits showing past lives? I guess maybe it would have been better to make it more obvious that they're suppose to be ghosts.

Pretty sure they're not supposed to be ghosts but that would have been a half decent solution.  The Watcher could have been given a power which reveals the spectres, keeping them out of view unless you want to see them.

I should say that I do like the soul reading concept and have read some cool little histories...the over-abundance of godlikes is a bit odd though.

Edited by WDeranged

I only have one complaint about them: too many Death Godlikes. It's like they all thought "I'd make one because it's totally badass"... well guess what dude, they all had the same idea.

But that's a minor issue, I like the overall concept.