I guess i'm the only one who likes backer npcs

They are lore related and they don't break immersion at all for me, i'm on a 40h playthrough on twin elms and i did read ALL npcs, i'll probably skip one sometimes by now, but i still did read a lot of them.

I agree with tombstones being crap, but npcs are fine.

• Like 2

My main problem with them is that I can't interact with them, which breaks immersion for me.

Oh, you're a killer that was never caught? Never mind, I'm just going to ignore that.

That might work for some people but not for me.

If it was a "dead soul" or a book or whatever, no problem, but I dislike the no further interaction.

Edited by kat7ra
  • Like 2

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster . . .

when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you

I ignore the backer NPCs and tombstones. It's a crazy solution, I know, but it works!

(I do like reading some NPCs every now and then, but there're too many to read all)

• Like 4

I thought they were cool, and that was before I knew they were backers. I was a little confused by finding 'Strom Brightblade' in a game with ethnic sounding names. But yeah I like the creativity that went into the soul memories. The people who don't hate them are not posting on the board.

They're fine. They have nothing to do with anything, and some of them look out-of-place, but they're fine.

That is the other thing. It took me awhile to realize they had nothing to do with anything. I was like 'wait do I need to know all this'? But eventually I just decided it was a feature to better get you to understand the impact of your predicament....and now I know it was a backer perk. Probably both.

Edited by Valmy
  • Like 1

At the beginning, I actually thought they were a neat introduction to being a Watcher.

It varies, like you'd expect.  Some of them have obnoxious names or not-very-good stories.  A couple of them made me smile, in a good way.  Some of them make me grimace.

The main problem I have is you can't always tell who are the backers and who are important NPCs you need to talk to.  Which is a pretty minor problem, to be honest.

The main problem I have is you can't always tell who are the backers and who are important NPCs you need to talk to.  Which is a pretty minor problem, to be honest.

Backer NPCS have yellow tooltips. Nobody else does.

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

My main problem with them is that I can't interact with them, which breaks immersion for me.

Oh, you're a killer that was never caught? Never mind, I'm just going to ignore that.

If it was a "dead soul" or a book or whatever, no problem, but I dislike the no further interaction.

+1

I like them.  They make it so that the world has history - you are not the only person doing stuff.  Besides, this gives Obsidian an extra source of donations during Kickstarters, which means that the company will be able to do more work on their products.

However, I do a question:  Are these the past lives of the NPC, or their current one?

Edited by Sabin Stargem
  • Like 3

They were mildly interesting - at first. But eventually I started to think that the stories were too long-winded. Lost the will to click on them after the tenth one or so.

If the stories had been condensed down to a few sentences or one short paragraph each, I would have read all of them. Three or four paragraphs each is too much once I find out that it's all backer fluff anyway.

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

Some of them are good, but the backers were so many that there are too many of them to read. I like how they make zones feel more populated, even if there is a ton of deathgodlike...

Edited by SeekDWay

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.

Before i knew it was backer npcs, i just thought they were there as a neat introduction when you learned about your Watcher status. So i just assumed they were the lingering souls of dead people.

Edited by PhantomEidolon
  • Like 2

You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin

:cat: