Money requirement for crafting/grimoire spells doesn't make any sense..

No pun intended..

This game is fantastic, I love it, and it's been well worth the wait - but why does it cost money to learn a spell I'm capable of casting or craft an item for which I have all the materials? I'm baffled by this concept and it tarnishes the incredible immersion and detail of the game.

What magical, ethereal bank does this cash go into when I'm in the middle of a cave crafting away..? It just comes off as a lame last minute hurdle to make it slightly restrictive to craft or get new spells.

Suggestions:

- Make it "kit" based. Alchemy kit, Scribe kit, Food Recipe, etc.

- Based on Lore level, you should be allowed to learn new spells over time, 24-48hrs per spell for example.

- (my fav)Create some kind of Token that lets you learn the spell from other grimoires, 1 token per spell, you keep the transaction value of having to find and collect these Tokens but it makes it more relevant to the story and time.

Right now, money is a poorly implemented crutch that is required for basic crafting. It makes absolutely no sense to pay for something that goes to no where.

I feel it stems from a desire of giving players a bit more freedom.

Personally, I would have forced all crafting to take place either in the Stronghold, or rare scattered areas elsewhere (like, a Great Forge in one city and a Laboratory in another).

But Obsidian obviously didn't want to force the Stronghold onto the players. Which I think is a missed opportunity, but then again I'm a massive Suikoden fan, where your stronghold is vital for the entire game.

I think the idea is that there's 'mundane' materials which you have to procure in addition to the magical or exotic stuff - for instance, the actual metal, leather, and coal that goes into a crafted sword. instead of making you go out and mine or buy the materials yourself (such as, for instance, in Skyrim) the game abstracts this part of the process. probably for the best in a more strategic/tactical game imo

Spending money to craft (nearly every game) is immersion breaking?  But crafting in a cave isn't?

Seriously...kids these days don't even know what immersion is, let alone how to break it.

Edited by Maviarab
  • Like 4

Spending money to craft (nearly every game) is immersion breaking?  But crafting in a cave isn't?

Seriously...kids these days don't even know what immersion is, let alone how to break it.

lol, thx like your post very much :-)

for me - pls keep it always simple and pls do immersion without rules *grins*

It is the nature of these types of games. Besides it makes you choose on how to use your resources. Do I buy the magic vendor sword or craft a bunch of stuff? Just be thankful that POE does not have equipment decay. I hate repair resource sinks.

My point is, I'd rather there be some sort of other "currency" instead of just dropping coin on the ground. I like "tough" rpgs, I would not mind having to go to a forge or lab to craft or even repair. To me that's more "normal", again, just my POV.

I understand the idea of creating a difficult choice on how to spend your coin, which is already a little tough to gather (coming from someone who stealths everywhere while Stashing and selling everything), but the fact they're using coin just irks me a bit. By no means does this approach the level of being a deal-breaker, and I'm certainly not crying about it either.

I'm just saying, in a game so creative and well though out, there could have been a more interesting approach on making these decisions challenging and interesting, instead of just slapping on a flat coin rate.

Edited by Mendosa

What magical, ethereal bank does this cash go into when I'm in the middle of a cave crafting away..?

The bank of game abstractions.

you were supposed to type that in red..

I meant what I said and I said what I meant. gkathellar's faithful 100-per-cent!

Edited by gkathellar

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.