So I've just been playing the game a couple of days. I'm level 3 as it is. I'm wondering what sort of party compositions everyone uses. I'm playing on hard difficulty. Right now I've got 2 Wizards (I'm one of them) 1 Fighter 1 Ranger 2 Healers. 1 of the wizards and 1 of the healers are companions, but the others I made at the tavern. I'm liking this set-up so far, but everyone other than the fighter and the pet are so squishy.

On a side note, for the wizards out there, what sort of armor do you wear? Right now my armor gives me 0 bonus because I want 0 recovery penalty. Do you sacrifice recovery for armor or just go out there naked?

I roll one 2h barbarian, one tank fighter, 2h paladin, and then priest, mage, druid.

The paladin has a haste spell and then lay on hands which I like.  As far as armor, for my 2h people I switched to a lower 30 or 35% recovery speed armor once you get exceptional stuff, though I may go even lower on my next playthrough.  I like having some armor on the barbarian because he often winds up with aggro over my intended tank fighter.

For my wizard I think I use some exception 15% robes, which is still way fast casting imo.

Edited by PermTrouble

Currently:  1 fighter (Eder), 1 paladin (hired), 1 rogue (hired), 1 priest (Durance), 1 chanter (Kana), 1 cipher (main)

The fighter is a great tank.
The paladin is a mediocre off-tank, nowhere near as tough as the fighter.  She'll be replaced when I find the next interesting NPC.

The rogue is using a pistol, and is a major single-target damage dealer.

The priest is pretty mediocre in combat overall, but I'm sticking with him for his story.
The chanter is fantastic for speeding up my gunners, does decent single-target damage, in long fights the summons are helpful, and I like his comments.

The cipher is great at CC, and quite good at both single-target and AOE damage.

• Like 1

I run with npc characters.

PC - Cipher - damager/controller (biting whip, draining whip, penetrating shot, ruffian

Eder - Fighter - warhammer n shield tank (defender, soldier focus, weapon n shield talents)

Aloth - Wizard - backup artillery for tough fights (elemental talents from utility tree)

Kana Rua - Chanter - meatshield, gun buff and triple arbalest switch combo ( Quick switch, soldier focus, gunner)

Durance - Priest - buffer, healer, arqebus holiest sniper since guy from "Save pr Ryan" (+Acc radiance buff, interdiction, arqebus buff)

Pallegina - Paladin - aura buffer, antidebuffer, arbalest user / offtank with greatword (+Acc+crit aura, ressurect, debuff ignore)

Everyone in full plate armor, but Cipher occasionally wear dress, when there are not so much ranged enemies.

Fighter tank nearly invulnerable with his 100+ defenses  (yeah, all of them), but I still keep my party fully armored just in case. Fighter rush ahead, Cipher throw Mental Bindings, paralyzing and rooting everyone who not engaged by fighter, priest cast buff and interdiction and then its a shooting range, Chanter does his triple arbalest combo, Paladin shoot flames of devotion buffed arbalest, Wizard sit in corner looking admiring himself at mirror or just hurl all his spells via "skip fight" option.

Edited by ErlKing

Only just re-started my second character after getting to grips with the game mechanics and 3 - 4 hours of gameplay so currently:

Cipher (me): haven't decided on melee or ranged yet. currently melee, and not min-maxed so I might switch to guns when I find some

Eder (main tank): I want to have some NPCs, and I quite like Eder's personality so I'll stick with him

Paladin (off tank): Created a Moon Godlike Pally to be my off-tank and make up for some of Eder's weaknesses

Ranged Rouge: created an Aumaua rouge with 20 might 18 dex or something like that. He's currently using a warbow and hits like a truck

Aloth: Will be providing some ranged CC to make sure my rouge's always hitting his sneak attacks

Last place is up for grabs. Going to try Durance and Kana and the Druid NPC and see where we are after that! 

First run (Hard)

Dwarf Druid PC, maxed Might/Dex/Int

Wild Orlan Paladin hired, max Con/Per/Res

Wood Elf Cipher hired, max Might/Dex/Int

Pallegina always in party on acquired, 'cause she's my favorite

Usually took Durance and Aloth, but swapped them around a bit to do other companion stuff

________

Second run, in progress PoD, all hired

Wild Orlan Paladin PC tank (Kind Wayfarer)(takes all passionate/benevolent dialogue for Faith and Conviction bonuses), max Con/Per/Res

Island Aumaua Paladin, max Might/Dex, decent Con/Res, hangs back w/casters providing +6 accuracy and protects them. Has Pike, 1h+Shield, Arbalest weapon sets for flexibility

Wood Elf Priest, max Might/Dex/Int

Wood Elf Druid, max Might/Dex/Int

Wood Elf Cipher, max Might/Dex/Int

Wood Elf Wizard, max Might/Dex/Int

Having all the casters is just too good. Stack debuffs/buffs galore.

I'm finding Druid to be pretty solid in ways I didn't expect on PoD. Their AoE fields and returning storm provide consistent damage output against difficult to hit enemies via lots of rolls to affect them. Returning Storm, Wicked Briars, Tanglefoot all going at once is great and you can set the latter two up beforehand even.

Edited by Odd Hermit

Cipher PC, Eder, Durance, Sagani. (Hard) 

I find 3 or 4 is a good compromise so that the game doesn't become too easy or clusterf***y, and still to see the companion content. 

PC + 5 custom adventurers:

PC - Melee Chanter - Sword and board/Two handed weapon

Paladin - Tank - Sword and board

Rogue - Ranged crits - Arbalest

Chanter - Ranged buffs - Arbalest

Priest - Buffs - Arquebus (Forget which god, but I chose one that gave +10 accuracy for Aquebus)

Wizard - AoE CC - Wand pew pew

Currently:  1 fighter (Eder), 1 paladin (hired), 1 rogue (hired), 1 priest (Durance), 1 chanter (Kana), 1 cipher (main)

The priest is pretty mediocre in combat overall, but I'm sticking with him for his story.

Yeah. That's the reason I'm keeping him too. I just rolled my priest at the inn before that, but when I started talking to that dude I just couldn't let him go. Still, my priest has better stats I believe. I know I'll need to let one go though.

What I'm gathering is that most people have sort of an off-tank. Sounds like a good idea. My tank can only engage 3 at a time. I think that means the excess melee mobs will find another party member to engage with. (Not entirely sure how that works.) I have no other melee fighters so I get kind of killed.

On a side note, for the wizards out there, what sort of armor do you wear? Right now my armor gives me 0 bonus because I want 0 recovery penalty. Do you sacrifice recovery for armor or just go out there naked?

Berathian Priest Robes, of which several are available very early in the game, feature a better DR-to-Recovery Penalty ratio than most armor: DR 2/-5% Recovery. I'll take -5% recovery in order to get 2/4/6 armor on my squishies.

• Like 1

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

I changed my team around a bit. I dumped my custom priest and the NPC wizard (Aeroth or something). My team is now 1 Wizard, 1 Fighter, 1 Paladin, 1 Barbarian, 1 Hunter, 1 Priest.

Seems to be doing much better so far. I just returned to heritage hill where the team was suffering earlier. Barbarian does wicked damage, but seems to take the most damage. Paladin I'm not so sure about. That extra heal is handy since I'm down one priest, bust so far he runs out of HP much faster than the fighter.

Fire Godlike Paladin - Tank and semi-buffer, with Shielding Flames and her Auras.

Moon Godlike Chanter - Off-tank who mainly helps hold off enemies while singing various tunes to support the group.

Wood Elf Rogue - DPS, generally uses Arbalests and deal some stupid high damage.

Wood Elf Cipher - DPS, and the main character. Guns and psychic powers. Very cookie cutter, but so powerful, how could I not?

Coastal Auamua Wizard - Crowd Controller. Generally sticks to debilitating for most fights.

Boreal Dwarf Priest - Healer and buffer. Most of his damage is from his gun otherwise.

I'll probably swap out the Wizard with a Druid, though spamming Arcane Torrent is decent on fodder in early game.

Currently I'm running a party of a PC druid, Eder, Durance, an NPC rogue, Grieving Mother and Aloth. GM's slot is the one that I use to test the 'new'/act II NPC's in. So far I'm not impressed with GM and I'll probably put Kana back into that slot. My tactics are generally pretty simple: the rogue scouts ahead and pulls enemies to the rest of my party. Eder tanks while the rest is armed with guns and blast everything to smithereens. Oh and I'm playing on hard, currently halfway through the main quest of act II with pretty much all of the side content done, expect for the third part of the Endless Paths.