Some classes would benefit A LOT from being able to auto-cast certain abilities. Chanters and Ciphers atleast.

Simply "cast when you can at anything" would suffice but of course being able to set parameters to them would be even more awasome.

Also "auto-attack" anything would also be quite nice. Universal toggle would most likely be optimal.

Can it be done? How hard would it be?

• 3 weeks later...

Auto-Attack is already in the game.

Auto-Cast would be... interesting.
I'm not sure how useful it would be in a game like this, where there are a small number of harder battles.
Compared to other games where there are a large number of easy battles.
Unless you're playing on Easy/Normal that is.

It cannot, because what you are looking for is called "scripting", and the developers did not implement scripting in the game.  Why they did that depends on your perspective, but the simple fact is that it doesn't exist.

It is possible that 3rd party mod could do what you want, but that's at the mercy of the folks who develop mods (of which there aren't many at this point).

Auto-Attack is already in the game.

Not really, what the game has is more like auto-self defence. A character who isn't being attacked just stands there, watching, until you order him/her to do something.

I'd certainly welcome some kind of AI, even if it's just something simple like in Baldur's Gate. No idea if it could be added via a mod or it needs to be handled by the devs. It has been requested before, anyway.

I guess I'm a control freak ... I don't miss scripted combat party AI and auto-defense seems good enough. It does add some micromanagement but casting AI in this particular game would likely infuriate me by wasting per-rest spells unnecessarily and choosing ones at times I wouldn't choose. So I'd rather just hit pause all the time anyway.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I guess I'm a control freak ... I don't miss scripted combat party AI and auto-defense seems good enough. It does add some micromanagement but casting AI in this particular game would likely infuriate me by wasting per-rest spells unnecessarily and choosing ones at times I wouldn't choose. So I'd rather just hit pause all the time anyway.

Same here, Crimson.  But if there's one thing I sorely miss, it's the ability to tell a character to hold position on a specific spot.  It bugs me when I have a front line tank at a choke point whom I want staying right there in that position, but when he kills whomever he's facing decides to go run from the spot to the next enemy.  This drives me batty!   :banghead:

GIVE ME MY HOLD POSITION BUTTON!!!!!  :biggrin:

If not auto-casting, ATLEAST proper queing of spells. Go to charter, click or hover over spell-level, then click spell, then click on mob... Then BACK AGAIN to spell level, spell, click on mob with shift down, repeat. 

Of cource the sequence breaks if one of the targets aint there anymore.

Seriously... Pick a spell, shift click with the spell selected the targets, multible of em and voila. If one dies, move on to the next one.

I kinda understand this "aint the auto-cast game" as this is the oldschool micro-management but atleast, make that less painfull. 

I LOVE the concept of "difficulty" being just more or less mobs, i play in hard ofc and as such queing spells is needed A LOT and the way it is simply makes things painfull as it is. 

A simple auto-cast for CIPHERS alone would be very awasome, click a spell on auto-mode and it will be casted on anything, when possible. As simple as it can be. One spell, at a time, cant be manually casted etc to make it more balanced. A little trick for the class. 

PS: I am tempted to go "all melee party" and zerg fights but maybe later...

To each their own, some people like micro more than others, and of course, a player controlled character or party is always going to be more effective than an AI controlled one. Having the option would be nice for many of us, though.

I kinda understand this "aint the auto-cast game" as this is the oldschool micro-management but atleast, make that less painfull.

Well, if by "old school" you mean the Infinity Engine games, those did have an AI. Edited by CriticalFailure