I feel offended do you?

Guest BugsVendor

Question

Guest BugsVendor

Dear Obsidian,

Being a huge fan of titles like Baldur's Gate I took Path of the Damned difficulty simply so this wonderful experience would last as long as possible. I wanted to be forced to eat consumables and search for items that help with certain enemies and experience the game in it's full potential rather than just run through the game on normal without any serious challenge. The game still seemed too easy... Boring...

There is only one initial playthrough of the game and now that I am close towards the end I realised mine is ruined. I did a quick bug search and sure enough my Eder is overpowered due to stacking bug and the game is too easy. I also experienced other bugs like the Raedric Castle problem.

They way I see it yet again I was sold a car without a wheel. It is that simple. Yet another product in the gaming industry that is unfinished, rushed, clearly broken.

If this would be any other industry we would never hear the end of it. Just imagine calling help line of some company saying "You sold me a coffee machine that gives tea" and hearing "This is a known issue".

Do you know who buys these game right after the release or even pre order ? Your most dedicated fans. The new normal is to poke us in the eyes with a stick and turn us into slave testers.

I feel offended obsidian. The experience I bought from you is broken. You send a clear and loud message:

"DO NOT PRE ORDER" & "DO NOT BUY RIGHT AFTER RELEASE"

Regards,

exFan

Offended?  :blink:

Dude, I would feel offended when they would have created bugs intentionally, but feeling offended by bugs which can

happen to every developer seems kind of stupid. I'm very sure these bugs annoy Obsidian much more than you. ;) 

• Like 2

Offended is too much, imo.

I do understand how someone might feel a bit annoyed by some of the bugs, though.

Not buying games directly after release and not pre-ordering is anyway a good advice unless you know the risks and/or have a reasonably good idea of what you'll get.

But hey, they have released a pretty good game and make an effort to fix the worst offenders (d'oh) quickly.

Edited by El Zoido

Gee I don't want to know what other things in your daily life offend you, must be really stressful getting offended all the damn time.

He has a point though. You can say whatever you want its your opinion but some people really value their first playthrough.

And since most players who just play the game don't notice the stat increase bug, they just keep wondering hmm this game is pretty easy.

Just like the OP, now he is near the end until realizing it, and it ruined his experience.

So yeh...

Edited by zephiris
  • Like 4

Dude, I would feel offended when they would have created bugs intentionally, but feeling offended by bugs which can

happen to every developer seems kind of stupid. I'm very sure these bugs annoy Obsidian much more than you. ;)

I have to add:

Nevertheless I would appreciate if there would be some official announcement about the known bugs to inform people like you and preventing them from play before the game is patched.

I feel the whole point of Kickstarter and the like is kinda... absent? At least for me.

I mean, isn't that the point of pre-financing a game? That the developers can take their time and bring you a COMPLETE game. Maybe I'm a bit old fahioned, but when I grew up, video games HAD to be done by the time they were released. No internet, no hot fixes, no patches.

Nowadays companies are throwing games at the market that are obviously not done.

So we are trying to prevent that. Put trust in the developers.

I can totally understand that many people are disappointed. Yes, there are always little bugs or glitches. But they had enough time to fix them.

EVERYONE who backed or pre-ordered would understand if the release date would be delayed to fix some more bugs. And some of the present ones are pretty obvious.

So yeah, I can understand. And I'm a bit disappointed, too. Not offended, but disappointed. In the future, I'll think twice before pre-ordering a game and wait, to stay safe.

It's just kind of sad that there seems no way to prevent people from releasing unfinished games.

It feels like they just go "yea, we got our money, we'll fix that later".

No offense, I love that game and I still play, regardless of bugs (that are, at least for me, quite minor). It's just awesome! But it kind of changed my point of view on such projects. Maybe I was expecting too much. I don't know.

Anyways, patch will come soon and everybody will be happy :dancing:

• Like 2

80's hours in, no bugs of any sort. Game isn't broken. You're just unlucky. :(

I constantly run into bugs and I really hate this kind of sentiment. Just because you don't have a problem doesn't mean that the game isn't broken. I can sell you a car without brakes, but you'll never notice, because you never brake; does that change anything for the guy that drove straight into traffic? Does it make my act of selling the car somehow OK?

As someone that *really* often run into a gazillion bugs in games, some game-breaking, some not, there's few things that infuriate me more than "The game works for me, so the game is fine, you're just whiny" or "It doesn't crash for me, so it must be your computer, get a new one lol".

Whether the OP is "offended" or whatever, I honestly don't care that much, but his points are valid and his complaint genuine. I would personally be furious if I ran into a game-breaking bug, especially if the cause was unclear or happened hours upon hours in the past.

• Like 6

t50aJUd.jpg

This was the last time i pre-ordered a game.

The developers are acting in a way i will not support anymore in the future, selling a game that is unplayable pisses me and many other buyers off!

it is ridiculous how the react to customer complaints.

I will never buy any game from this company again!

• Like 2

Why is it so hard for people to understand that games of this magnitude take time, and tens of thousands of different machines and players to explore every bug possible. It's not realistically doable in beta. There will ALWAYS be bugs on release. Man up, grow up, and be patient until the game reaches a properly-playable-bug free-state. Or, play the game, support it, report bugs, and know that a brighter future is coming from your and others' support. Both for the company who made the game, and for the game itself.

I constantly run into bugs and I really hate this kind of sentiment. Just because you don't have a problem doesn't mean that the game isn't broken. I can sell you a car without brakes, but you'll never notice, because you never brake; does that change anything for the guy that drove straight into traffic? Does it make my act of selling the car somehow OK?

As someone that *really* often run into a gazillion bugs in games, some game-breaking, some not, there's few things that infuriate me more than "The game works for me, so the game is fine, you're just whiny" or "It doesn't crash for me, so it must be your computer, get a new one lol".

Whether the OP is "offended" or whatever, I honestly don't care that much, but his points are valid and his complaint genuine. I would personally be furious if I ran into a game-breaking bug, especially if the cause was unclear or happened hours upon hours in the past.

That's a horrible analogy. It's more like selling a car with an unknown flaw in the brakes which causes the brakes to fail a small percentage of the time when under a certain amount of stress or in certain specific situations. Does that mean the car is broken, or that the breaks don't work? No--given the right circumstances it may not even be a legal or liability issue. I've never denied that bugs exist or that some people have serious gameplay bugs.

What I have denied is this idea that a fraction of the population having these issues means the game, as a whole, is somehow broken and unfinished. It's not. Just because, for YOU, on YOUR system, the game is having issues doesn't mean you can judge the game as a whole broken. If the game works, with only minor issues at worst, for the majority of people who use it--as seems to be the case based on the number of people complaining verse the tens and tens of thousands of copies out there--then the game isn't broken. It's a functional and successful piece of software with some known bugs. That's it.

Edited by Katarack21

Guest BugsVendor

Gee I don't want to know what other things in your daily life offend you, must be really stressful getting offended all the damn time.

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people”

I make a point about releasing unfinished games being OK. You attack me personally. Yeah... and next time you buy a broken item at walmart don't you dare complain. 

That's one strong argument. Also you probably just didn't notice like I didn't.

I have some minor benefit from stacking on Eder and I don't feel offended. I'm looking forward to a patch, but I appreciate these things take time. I'm sure Obsidian are giving it their all.

I love those posts. "I'm sure Obsidian are giving it their all". Why didn't they do it before they billed me ? Testing games is a job. People who play this broken product and report the bugs here should get $. 

Really ? It bothers them more than me ? I bought a product to relax after work and it is broken and they are sitting now on a pile of cash. I wonder how deeply annoyed they are right now.

If your first playthrough is very important to you, it is best to wait a couple months and play the game after it's been patched.

That's my whole point I am trying to get across. This is not our job to find their bugs. If you see a new car model do you have to wait 5 years before some people crash and than they fix some issues ?

Dear BugsVendor,

Unfortunately it's much much easier to miss bugs in a huge, complex piece of software than it is to create a coffee machine that produces tea.

Kind Regards

Fan

No it isn't. This rule apply only to the gaming industry. Planes are complex and they work. Cars are complex and they work.

I am a software developer myself and I know the challenges. But as a customer I really don't care. If i see a product on a shop shelf I expect it to work.

Do you people know why all the games are buggy now ? Because we the customers put up with it.

Edited by BugsVendor

No it isn't. This rule apply only to the gaming industry. Planes are complex and they work. Cars are complex and they work.

Ah yes, planes never crash, cars never gets recalled by the manufacturer...
  • Like 6

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yeah, that's a great argument. When somebody points out something that disagrees, just tell 'em their probably not paying attention and if they looked harder they'd realize their wrong. That'll work.

PS:

I'm not suffering any bugs. Sorry to disappoint.

Guest BugsVendor

Ah yes, planes never crash, cars never gets recalled by the manufacturer...

Don't compare 1 in a 1 000 000 to a game breaking stats increase bug that almost everyone is experiencing but most people don't notice. I wouldn't start a **** storm over a small little buggy path that happened to 1 person in 100 000 or If I would have to load game one time because some quest broke.

To make a good comparison this is releasing a car with every single one having no windshield. 

Edited by BugsVendor

I'm sure that if the kickstarter had given them a few billion dollars more they could have invested more in the QA process (since they seem to be the scope you want to compare it to).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Of course BugsVendor is right that in planes and cars occur by far less bugs than in games.

But that's because in embedded systems (like planes and cars) everything ist checked massively including complete model checking,

which is something no one from us would finance for a computer game. The reason that planes and cars cost more than computer games

is not only about the material/physical value - it's about the entire effort in otherwise sections - like the testing. So you really can't compare

planes and cars to gaming software. 

-- Just another edit:

But I also can't believe that the ones who are stating that they hadn't any bugs are right. E.g. there are items with +stats bonus which will

give you the bonus permanently even after you've already unequipped them and so on... You must be really lucky if you didn't get into

at least one bug. (Not saying that everyone experience this that much that it's becoming game breaking)

Edited by Jazou

uh... wtf?  no... unpossible.

sorry, there are a ton of tiny bugs in this game.  you experienced them.  somehow, you just never bothered to even notice, or deliberately ignored them.