Simple questions - Simple answers

Anything that raises your accuracy (DEX, bonuses) will also increase your your chance to crit. Read the ingame help for the exact formulae how grazes/hits/criticals are calculated.

Beside that, there are talents and spells that specifically increase % crit chance.

Ranged is good for several things:

-opening hit from stealth

-taking down enemy spellcasters - if you can't reach them with  a melee

-avoiding aoe

-drake fire

-going against enemies that can pretty much one shot your squishier damage dealers

etc,

Of course there is the full bear rangers terror party that can pretty much steamroll anything in the game.

You can pretty much get by with 2 melee chars to hold the line and the rest is ranged of various presuasions.

How do you raise/maximize your "to hit" / accuracy? Melee vs Ranged?

How do you maximize your "Crit" chance?

Talents and weapons. DEX does not raise your ACC, that's an error in the manual. (They changed it shortly before release as it made DEX overpowered.)

Read the talent descriptions: they describe exactly when the ACC bonus applies. Weapon Focus is a no-brainer. Priests get talents which give a massive ACC boost on their deity's favored weapon: that plus Weapon Focus brings their ACC into the top tier when using them. There are other talents that convert a percentage of hits to crits either always or circumstancially.

The most immediately accessible ways to raise ACC are to use a single one-handed weapon, Weapon Focus, the rapier (+6 ACC), and use of Fine or Accurate weapons.

Many spells or spell-likes also buff ACC, e.g. the paladin's Zealous Focus and the priest's Divine Radiance.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Dex raises your accuracy? I'm actually asking because I can't find any help that indicates how to raise it other than leaving your offhand free.

Dex is the time it takes for the interval between attacks and your defense vs AOE damage.

Accuracy is only increased via talents or enchants or buffs.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Ok, so I just want to clarify, in terms of raising of base accuracy then when leveling; does it go up a specific amount per class or a fixed amount, or are you required to spend a talent to raise it when you level, or can you do both?

Basically accuracy is so buff that any stat that affects it instantly becomes the go-to stat for everybody. Which I think is really the only legitimate statement I've heard from anybody about an actual problem with the stats in this game.

Ehh I've heard lots of legitimate complaints about the stats in the game.

Also about every other stat system that was proposed for the game.

Right now the main problem with the stat system is this:

DPS build? Bump MIG, DEX, INT. 

Tank build? Bump CON, RES, PER.

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Basically, any attack is decided by a roll of your Accuracy vs. the defences of the opponent. The game rolls a 1d100 and works out the difference. So the higher your Accuracy, the more you will hit, the less of these hits will be grazes, and the more of them will be criticals.

As has been mentioned, no base stat or Attribute raises Accuracy; a decision I question, but fair enough. So any effects you can get that gives you +Accuracy contributes. This will mostly be gear (primarily weapons) and some (mostly caster-specific) spells.

t50aJUd.jpg

Basically accuracy is so buff that any stat that affects it instantly becomes the go-to stat for everybody. Which I think is really the only legitimate statement I've heard from anybody about an actual problem with the stats in this game.

Honestly, if we assume my own suggested Attribute bonuses, with +1 Accuracy on Perception, even during absolutely optimal conditions, we're only talking about +10 Accuracy. Whilst good, that'd be at the expense of other stats; what's best, a blanket +3% Dmg/Heal (and some Interrupt, in my spread) or +1 Accuracy? I'd say it depends on your build (fast weapons? Accuracy for more crits / slow weapons? +Dmg/Heal for heavy stabs).

t50aJUd.jpg

Ok, so I just want to clarify, in terms of raising of base accuracy then when leveling; does it go up a specific amount per class or a fixed amount, or are you required to spend a talent to raise it when you level, or can you do both?

I believe it's a specific amount per class as Rangers and Rogues crit more, and the class stats will show Accuracy as a stat with a listing as "Very High/Low" etc. Raising it further than the base amounts you get from levels requires you either do so via a buff, an enchantment or a talent. So if you are not happy with your Fighter's crit rate he's managing from level ups alone, then you can spend the talent point to increase his accuracy further.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

For optimization, sure. But I'm using a Might/Con based low-Int barbarian for my off tank and it's working just fine.

For optimization, sure. But I'm using a Might/Con based low-Int barbarian for my off tank and it's working just fine.

And there is deviance allowed of course. For example a Fighter can manage with modest Con, and you could provide them with Dex if your hope was to make your tank do a better job of interrupting enemy attacks.  Perception seems flexible in that you could put it on anything that you wanna use to interrupt attacks.

Accuracy is raised at the same rate for each class, just the beginning number differs from class to class.

That is really interesting, so the best way to get a max "to hit"/"to crit" build is to pick one of the 30 accuracy classes with a hearth Orlan..., are there one handed ranged weapons, in the game? If so that could give another "bonus" to accuracy outside of buffs/talents.

Accuracy is raised at the same rate for each class, just the beginning number differs from class to class.

That is really interesting, so the best way to get a max "to hit"/"to crit" build is to pick one of the 30 accuracy classes with a hearth Orlan..., are there one handed ranged weapons, in the game? If so that could give another "bonus" to accuracy outside of buffs/talents.

Can we talk about Hearth Orlans for a second? Because those guys alongside Moon Godlike seem to have gotten the best racial abilities hands down.

All ranged weapons are two-handed.

Pistols?

Edited by Longknife

Can we talk about Hearth Orlans for a second? Because those guys alongside Moon Godlike seem to have gotten the best racial abilities hands down.

Pistols?

Two-handed, regrettably. :balance:

Yeah I suppose it makes a kind of sense in that you do need both hands to reload a muzzle-loader.

Those guys do it entertainingly fast though. I really love the reload animations. The way the crank up the arbalest is way cool also.

Two-handed, regrettably. :balance:

TF but my character dramatically sticks one arm straight out to fire them.

Go home Pillars, you're drunk.

• Like 1

not exactly, they don't benefit from two-handed style talent.

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

Yeah I suppose it makes a kind of sense in that you do need both hands to reload a muzzle-loader.

Those guys do it entertainingly fast though. I really love the reload animations. The way the crank up the arbalest is way cool also.

I've posted this already before, but this is still totally how people reload in Pillars: