Easy Mode is to hard

I like to play Games like the BG Trilogy, Planescape: Torment etc because I like the stories and characters. I like to play always the easy way, because gaming relaxes me very much after a hard days work. I tried to play PoE on the easy mode because of that, but my group dies all the time, it's really frustrating.

In the easy mode ist should almost be impossible to die during the fights... If I would look for challenges I would choose an other mode...

Please let the easy mode be an easy mode....!

• Like 1

Wait for a "story mode" mod. I'm sure someone will make one at some point. Or look up the console cheats and use those. Or play something else.

Edit: Console commands - http://orcz.com/Pillars_of_Eternity:_Console_Commands

Edited by PrimeJunta

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I hear ya man. Having 'fun' micro managing to the umf degree (while on easy) isn't what I would classify as desirable for a game either (particularly with my job staring at network/system health). I don't mind optimizing but, even on easy it feels like im on my toes. 

Heh, for an 'easy' mode it really doesn't 't feel much different than the 'normal' mode. Seems some people think hard mode is easy too :o - which surprises me.

I'm wondering if there is something up with the difficulty or creature stats having issues. Or maybe I've just gotten worse at tactical rpgs.... :/

Edited by Kveldulf

I like to play Games like the BG Trilogy, Planescape: Torment etc because I like the stories and characters. I like to play always the easy way, because gaming relaxes me very much after a hard days work. I tried to play PoE on the easy mode because of that, but my group dies all the time, it's really frustrating.

In the easy mode ist should almost be impossible to die during the fights... If I would look for challenges I would choose an other mode...

Please let the easy mode be an easy mode....!

Hmm, I think you are maybe approaching the game the wrong way.

Even on easy, the difficulty is no even across the maps. It's not like modern games where all enemies are made to scale to your level and keep the same degree of challenge.

Some fights will always be harder than other, you just need to level up, or find more companions, or find other classes.

You are not going to steamroll everything with auto attacks.

Yeah, I allready thought about cheating. But isn't it a pity, that the easy mode is such uneasy...?

The game isn't designed to be easy. There's a lot of combat, and it's intended for people who enjoy combat. What you're doing is like, I dunno, taking a Lotus for a drive and complaining that the ride is harsh when you're on cobblestones. That's not what it's for.

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I'm still pretty okay on normal, though I guess the combat does keep me on my toes now that I dismissed my self-made Paladin and let the Dwarf join my crew. Really think I'm going to need another guy or gal at the front. Will either have to wait for the Paladin or re-skill somebody from my party.

The game has console commands though, so you should be alright :)

The game isn't designed to be easy. There's a lot of combat, and it's intended for people who enjoy combat. What you're doing is like, I dunno, taking a Lotus for a drive and complaining that the ride is harsh when you're on cobblestones. That's not what it's for.

Well, on easy it should be easy enough, I'd wager. And you're probably right, but I still don't think this should keep people who like to play games for the story away from it. And again, that's why you have an easy mode. And consoles. What do you care how and why people play their game for?

Edited by Reever

Get Eder and pump his deflection with a shield and all the talents you can get for engagement. A good tank can pretty much carry your whole team on easy, given that you control your ranged party members by giving them attack orders. If you have a priest use Blessing at the start of every fight.

If it is still hard for you, just hire another tank Eder Mk. II adventurer. The more Eder, the better Eder. With 6 Eder Moongodlike you can afk in fights.

Edited by SeekDWay

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.

Yeah, I allready thought about cheating. But isn't it a pity, that the easy mode is such uneasy...?

You're right to a degree. I've noticed this game favors certain compositions dramatically more than others though - in the early game. That's a rough wake up call for anyone use to the progressively easy mode most rpgs usually start out as. Add-in this: If you don't happen to min/max the right way or take the right composition, you really feel up a creek (Save/load spamming).

Edited by Kveldulf

Easy isn't "impossible to fail at" you still need to try.

In my book easy means something along the lines of "You don't need to give it your all to succeed"

And as I posted in the beginning, you still need to play the game, and you still need to give some thought to what you're doing.

Basically this is not a game where you can play it for just the story, it's very gameplay related and if that's not relaxing for you, it's the wrong game for relaxing m8 ^^

P.S

I also use NPCs, and I also have an unoptimized character, with skills and stats a bit here and a bit there for "RP" reasons, which makes the game VERY difficult at certain times (Hard) but I wouldn't want the game to lay down and let me walk over it, I have to adapt to the game, not the game to me.

Edited by kat7ra

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster . . .

when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you

I was having problems with the combat in the early stages because the game stops holding your hand pretty fast, without explaining a few key points and before dropping you at the nearest inn to recruit more companions.

If you are finding it hard on 'easy' I'm guessing you've been exploring dark corners (bear cave, temple of eothas, wandering away from the road on wilderness maps) before recruiting a full team. Once you have a party, it becomes very easy to get past most fights on just the encounter powers alone. You will probably have to pause and issue a couple of instructions but it's that kind of game. If you don't want to do that then the squad-of-tanks idea above is perhaps the best option for almost completely hands-free combat. My two tanks are very resilient on normal mode, but I have to manage combat to prevent the others getting squished.

He's trolling, so obvious. Those kind of threads don't help to get better balance in the future, tho

No, I totally understand the OP here.

While many fights are too easy on easy, there are still quite a few that will ruin you if:

-- you're just starting out after the sort-of-tutorial area, and don't have companions to back you up.  (If you're playing a squishy, this IMMEDIATELY leads to the impression that the game is brutal even on easy,)

-- your positioning isn't just right

-- you treat it as a straightforward fight when surprise, it's not and you have to approach it more cautiously and with smart tactics

-- there are one or two particularly nasty enemies that do something drastic

-- the fight is above your level and you just need to avoid it and do some other quests first

-- you're used to games where difficulty is fairly even and there are always huge cues and warnings that the next fight will be serious.

Honestly I think "easy" gets you used to the idea that all it takes to win is putting tanks in front, targeting enemies, and slaughtering them.  And then three fights later there's this massive, overwhelming mess that wipes out three of your party in the first 5 seconds and nothing in the game had prepared you for it.

I've been breezing through most fights, but there was one last night where I got it wrong four times in a row and I swear my party was half wiped in seconds.  And then the fifth time, instead of going for the choke point I went all-out against a particular enemy caster and scattered my back line instead of trying to keep them all behind the tanks, and it went almost flawlessly.

As I said. He is playing it wrong.

You don't got watching The Expendables for the plot.

The same as you are not buying PoE for the plot alone, but also for the fight experience.

Edited by DocDoomII

Yes, the combat gets a lot easier once you know what you are doing. If you don't want to bother learning the combat system then you're going to continue to have trouble, although certain setups make it much more hands free than others.

At least Obsidian rcognise that some players want a lot more challenge than others - that's why there's 5 difficulty levels, ironman and solo challenges. If someone comes back and says solo, ironman PotD is too easy for them I'll be impressed!