Its been my experience in cRPGs that Druids usually end up at best average and that their unique abilities (like shapeshifting) are downright awful, or only briefly usful at low levels.  I saw Druids in PoE can still cast spells while Shifted, cool... but, is it really?  Can a Shifted Druid actualy tank for example?  Even if Druid's don't have variety of spells of a Mage, are their spells at least funcionaly sound when compared to a Mage or Cleric?  Or am I going to spend a lot of time conjuring berries that eventually aren't even worth the effort.

Two words: don't worry ;)

Shapeshifting is good at low levels but not really at high levels. Druid spells are good though.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I found the issue with shapeshifting is you give up your hand slots. No shield, no weapon. This means you lose that lovely deflection bonus from shields and damage bonus (enchants possible) from weapons, for (late game) a rather minor bonus. Combined with the Druids naturally low endurance pool and shapeshifing forcing you into combat... it is not really a consistently good option for tank or damage dealer, and provides nothing directly for ranged support.

As for spells, I found Druids provided a good mix of support, CC and damage. While the Wizard is better for CC/DD and the Priest is better for support, the Druid gives you flexibility (and some rather good focused healing spells that work well with fights who try and draw everyone to them). Also, while the shapeshifting of the Druid might not enough to let them consistently sit towards the front of the party later in the game, it is sufficient to let them live in those 1v1 situation when someone slips past.

So overall Druid does not shine out as best in any one area, but that works in his favour. He is (IMO) a good include if you want a  support/CC option that can stand (somewhat) on its own when **** goes down.

Druid is the best AOE dps period. Wizard can maybe compete for the spot of better CC char (although Druid has good CC as well), but Druid's AOE damage is unmatched.  Shifting is quite good at low level, then not worth it. Doesn't make the class any lesser though. All in all probably one of the strongest or even the strongest class.

Shapeshifting is really only good for flavor, can be usefull early on or to give you a slight boost if someone runs past your tanks but it doesn't scale well or last long enough to frontline. Druids are spellcasters, pretty good ones though.

PoE druids are glorious. I finished the game for the first time today, and spent the last part laughing manically while throwing Rot Skulls at everything.

Shapeshifting isn't something I'd rely on, but it can be handy in certain situations. I often used it to help clean up the last couple of enemies in a group when I didn't want to use more spells.

• Like 1

Strangely enough, POE druids rock at pure dps while at range. Wizards on the other hand seem to be more of a control character with their best damage spells requiring you to be close range. If you do use their damage spells though, you will be shocked at how deadly they are.

Sounds reasonable enough.  Not surprised with shapeshifting news, thats how it tends to go in these games... unless there are Improved Forms for you learn/unlock later in the game to offset the gear creep, which nobody here has said exist.

Can a Shifted Druid actualy tank for example?  Even if Druid's don't have variety of spells of a Mage, are their spells at least funcionaly sound when compared to a Mage or Cleric?  Or am I going to spend a lot of time conjuring berries that eventually aren't even worth the effort.

Druids absolutely cannot and should not tank, at least not on Hard or PoD.

Druid spells are good. They have stronger damage than Wizard, and decent support/healing options. They have some AoE fields of decent duration that repeatedly debuff that can be quite good, and as a straight-nuker they're the best.

They're an excellent class for hard and below difficulty. On PoD they're not as good because Wizard's have +15 accuracy spell, better "hard CC" (completely disabling effect), and just overall are better equipped to deal with stat boosted enemies that aren't as easy to deal with via pure damage output. They're still solid enough to consider taking in addition to Wizard though, and have some valuable spells.

• Like 1

Sounds reasonable enough.  Not surprised with shapeshifting news, thats how it tends to go in these games... unless there are Improved Forms for you learn/unlock later in the game to offset the gear creep, which nobody here has said exist.

You can take a talent to give your shape an elemental attack and peasant weapon focus works as the attack is considered unarmed, dual weapons might work but not sure about that one.

Actually scaling the shapes is currently imposible because of the way abilities are implemented they would have to create a completely new ability for each stage, so extra 72 abilities in total.

Druids are the best engager a party can have. The best CC a party can have. ALso they are offtankers and healers. Maybe they arent the best throwing spells or tanking or healing, but for a 6man party I dont see any reason why you shouldnt add one of these.

And the lower the number of your party is, the more relevant they get ( if you dont want to go 6man and just 4 man for roleplaying issues or whatever)

You can take a talent to give your shape an elemental attack and peasant weapon focus works as the attack is considered unarmed, dual weapons might work but not sure about that one.

Actually scaling the shapes is currently imposible because of the way abilities are implemented they would have to create a completely new ability for each stage, so extra 72 abilities in total.

They could scale it well enough, +1 Accuracy and + x.04 damage / level or something, which would be +12 and x1.48 damage

The best quality enchant gives +12 Accuracy x1.45 damage IIRC.

They could scale it well enough, +1 Accuracy and + x.04 damage / level or something, which would be +12 and x1.48 damage

No this is a technical issue, dev explained it on another forum. They can't just make an ability improve as it levels, they would need to create a separate enty for druid bear shape, level 1, druid bear shape, level 2 and so on... for all shapes and levels.

They want a system that would let them scale shapes easier but that takes resources so it's something they'll tackle later.

I am actually finding at level 9 my druids shapeshift ability is still pretty fubar good. It is good for two things in particular. Firstly I can cast quickly while not wearing any armour but still having DR. Secondly if you are careful about positioning (like I imagine you might want to be with a melee rogue) then the auto attack damage from druids with wildstrike corrode is just straight up nuts. I tend to make sure that the enemy are debuffed and flanked though. I dont just run my druid in pretending that I am Eder the Mighty Werestag. That would (and has) end in me having a bad time.

Overall  druids feel stupidly good to me. 

Edited by Hatred

No this is a technical issue, dev explained it on another forum. They can't just make an ability improve as it levels, they would need to create a separate enty for druid bear shape, level 1, druid bear shape, level 2 and so on... for all shapes and levels.

They want a system that would let them scale shapes easier but that takes resources so it's something they'll tackle later.

Since you go from regular weapons to fine to exceptional to I forget (im level 9 so I only have rank 2) wouldnt it be reasonable for them to just make 2 or at max 3 types of druid entites that kick in at say level 4/8/12 or 5/10 or some such. Personally I am finding that my stag form still rocks the damage. Sure its situational, but the damage output of 21-30 with stupid fast attack speed is pretty good as long as you lower the enemy deflection and raise your accuracy before wading in.

Edit : so people have tested the peasant weapon focus ? If that and duel wield worked it would be pretty nice .....

Edited by Hatred

Edit : so people have tested the peasant weapon focus ? If that and duel wield worked it would be pretty nice .....

The problem with WF: Peasant is that the only ranged weapon it gets you is a Hunting Bow.  Ew. 

Yeah a hunting bow without piercing shot is a little on the sub optimal side of things. In a lot of situations I have actually used one anyway though. I like hunting bows because I am not spending a lot of time shooting and reloading. So when I want to fire off a spell I just do it. I do mostly use a warbow though as a compromise between not having to wait to cast and actually hurting people.

So give druids scaling unarmed accuracy/ damage rather than scaling the actual shift weapons.

What is honestly the worst that could happen? We'd have a sort-of-almost-maybe-kinda viable unarmed druid build outside of shifting? OH NO!

-Shapeshift is 100% garbage after first 2-3 levels.  IT reduces your stats. When I shapeshift at level 5 druid merc my DR/HP/Deflect/Acc/Dmg all go lower.  It's set in stone and doesn't use your gear. It's real bad.

-Druid spells are amazing. He makes hard fights easier.  I wouldn't make a party without at least 1 druid or wizard.

-Druid suffers from the same issue as Priest/Wizard.  You'll forget you even had a Player_Character until level 9 (Per encounter spells open). He will be autoattacking for a majority of the game unless you like to camp/back-track a lot for the smaller fights (With these load times? No thanks).  You can mostly only build as caster due to this, as you can't use those super cool melee weapon summons or melee buffs since they are per rest...so you can't really BUILD for them.  At level 9/11 this is less of an issue, but that is way off.  This is a game design issue, neither of the 3 classes were given good enough per encounter abilities early on.  Don't get me wrong, Wizard and Druid are gods 9+, but that is like 30 hour of auto-attack and not even clicking your Player_Character with the occasional spell spam on bosses/events.

All in all, it's up to you.  If you want a more involved caster early on go Cipher. If you want caster who becomes involved and more powerful later on go Druid.

Edited by Parsong

Druid shapeshift is amazing until about level six or seven, at which point it is alright but falls of significantly. But this is fine, because by then your druid has a collection of excellent spells that he can use to tear through the opposition. Druids are very good in this game -- easily more consistently useful than a wizard and absolutely than a cipher in longer 'boss' fighters in which a druid has the time to unload a string of its powerful spells.

Max might and intelligence and it's hard to go wrong with your druid.