So what is the ideal level to enter that temple of Eothas in Gilded Vale? I am playing at Hard difficulty.

I mean my main character is a rogue and I have a level 3 party, with Eder and Aloth. I completed the first level but downstairs in the second level I am getting my ass handed to me by all the shades and phantoms. I can kill couple of groups of shades but in the process I end up using up all my spells and loosing a ton of health.........because I can't seem to damage them with my weapons as much.

I mean my rogue backstabs the shade for only 3 or 4 damage, most normal hits do only 1 damage also my party keeps missing abilities and spells as well, so now I am thinking may be I am too low to be wandering in this temple.

Can someone please explain whats going on here, am I really too low to be in here?

It can be doable on level 3 but if you dont want to reload 20 times take wizard fighter priest and also chanter companions from caed nua(stands at the start of map) they are really easy to reach. Use fire spells and two handed estoc to bypass their dr. Shades and phantoms are rly hard to kill but fire murders them.

So what is the ideal level to enter that temple of Eothas in Gilded Vale? I am playing at Hard difficulty.

I mean my main character is a rogue and I have a level 3 party, with Eder and Aloth. I completed the first level but downstairs in the second level I am getting my ass handed to me by all the shades and phantoms. I can kill couple of groups of shades but in the process I end up using up all my spells and loosing a ton of health.........because I can't seem to damage them with my weapons as much.

I mean my rogue backstabs the shade for only 3 or 4 damage, most normal hits do only 1 damage also my party keeps missing abilities and spells as well, so now I am thinking may be I am too low to be wandering in this temple.

Can someone please explain whats going on here, am I really too low to be in here?

What you are seeing is the stupidly high deflection rating on shades, im afraid you need to either punch through with a higher dps or you need to try types of damage that dont target deflection, anything wtih raw damage is great. Itwould also help you to pick up durance from the fork, his radiance spell should burn them as i think they cound as 'vessels' also there is a cloak in the second floor of the inn that should help you tank the dmg, it converts 20% frost dmg back to endurance. Im also having trouble with them in my solo monk PoTD run and all i can really say is keep trying, im really out of things I can d to take them on, atm I can take maybe one at a time which is kind of **** when there are larger groups, im havign to rely on split pulling which is a bit cheesy

Well, even if you do everything before Caed Nua, you're gonna be mostly level 3 and level 4 on your main.

The main factor here is the equipment, the more stuff you do, the better equipd you will be for the temple. But yeah it's possible, even on PotD. I suggest you to get your full party first (go take the fighter, wizard, priest and chanter first) and then use the traps you get in the temple. Use the dart traps on the skuldrs and the fire traps on the shadows.

You should be fine, but keep in mind that, the temple is a difficult area to complete :).

And btw to kill that skuldr pack use doorway tactic block all group with your tank and hit with reach and ranged weapons. That fight is also really hard.

I have killed the skuldr pack , with their king........i didnt have any trouble there, just had to reload a couple of times.

But its just the shades and phantoms....... their damage avoidance is ridiculous. I mean normally my rogue B'stabs for like 30 damage or so but on shades / phantoms he b'stabs for like 4 damage, not to mention he misses most of the times and the attacks my party actually manages to land on them, are usually grazes.

Edited by Brimsurfer

I can go elsewhere and do a few quests and come back at level 5 or so then clear the temple.........i can do that. Because I don't see any point in killing a couple of groups of shades and then resting and then keep repeating the same thing...... because I believe I can only rest twice in a dungeon then I have to leave it anyway to get camping supplies from the town (unless I find some in the dungeon)

But the question I have now is that if I go to another map and do some quests there then come back by level 5, will I still be able to clear the temple and do the Witran quest? Or does it disappear?

Also is there a way know the appropriate level range for an area, so that I don't stumble in there at lower level and get my ass handed to me through no fault of mine?

I can go elsewhere and do a few quests and come back at level 5 or so then clear the temple.........i can do that. Because I don't see any point in killing a couple of groups of shades and then resting and then keep repeating the same thing...... because I believe I can only rest twice in a dungeon then I have to leave it anyway to get camping supplies from the town (unless I find some in the dungeon)

But the question I have now is that if I go to another map and do some quests there then come back by level 5, will I still be able to clear the temple and do the Witran quest? Or does it disappear?

Also is there a way know the appropriate level range for an area, so that I don't stumble in there at lower level and get my ass handed to me through no fault of mine?

It does not disapear, im trying it level 3 solo on PoTD, with a full party i think it would easily be possible at level 3 or even 2

I agree that level 3 is a pain. I suggest you come back at level 4 or 5, which is what I did in my second playthrough.

Shades are one of the most demanding fights in the game, because of the fact that they spawn and that they teleport. Don't get discouraged!

It does not disapear, im trying it level 3 solo on PoTD, with a full party i think it would easily be possible at level 3 or even 2

yea with full party may be or also depends on what attack type you are using......i dont have anything that works against high deflection at the moment. Also first level is easy it gets tough in the second level.

Edited by Brimsurfer

And btw to kill that skuldr pack use doorway tactic block all group with your tank and hit with reach and ranged weapons. That fight is also really hard.

I have killed the skuldr pack , with their king........i didnt have any trouble there, just had to reload a couple of times.

But its just the shades and phantoms....... their damage avoidance is ridiculous. I mean normally my rogue B'stabs for like 30 damage or so but on shades / phantoms he b'stabs for like 4 damage, not to mention he misses most of the times and the attacks my party actually manages to land on them, are usually grazes.

Theres another pack in level two with 2 kings and about 10 skuldr in total i'm talkin about that one.

My suggestion is "whenever you have at least 5 party members". Whether that's level 3 or 5 depends on a lot of factors, but if your objective is to do it as quick as possible:

Get yourself, Aloth, Edér, pick up Durance from one map south of Gilded Vale, and create one NPC at the Gilded Vale Inn. The Temple should now be easy-peasy, even at Hard.

I personally did it at level 3, I think.

t50aJUd.jpg

Beat it at level 2-3ish (couple of custom companions lagging behind) with a full party. Shades made for tough fights. I had a couple of potions of endure elements,  priest blessings, a scroll of fan of flames that proved instrumental.

I done it Solo on level 3 in PotD, by skipping most of the groups there and only concentrate on the items.

I can skip too but i dont want to............anyway. I have a party of 3, I guess I go get a couple of more party members. I dont want to solo because I dont want to miss party interactions and companion stories.

No.

In general, poking your nose somewhere without being invited is a bad idea.

On the other hand, if you only follow the breadcrumb trail you will hit a serious difficulty spike fairly early on as well. Do the sidequests you're invited to do first and don't go out of your way to look for trouble unless you, well, want to look for trouble.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

BTW is there a way to know an area's or a dungeon's (level range challenge-wise) so I dont stumble in there and get my ass handed to me. Its really kind of annoying.

The first critter you kill of a certain type lets you see its level in the Bestiary. Of course that doesn't tell you about the critter levels in the rest of the area, and the strategy doesn't work for human-like enemies, since they don't appear in the Bestiary.

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

No.

In general, poking your nose somewhere without being invited is a bad idea.

On the other hand, if you only follow the breadcrumb trail you will hit a serious difficulty spike fairly early on as well. Do the sidequests you're invited to do first and don't go out of your way to look for trouble unless you, well, want to look for trouble.

Yea but this temple was in the middle of the first town, entrance was just wide open, right in the middle of it. So it seemed like the place I was expected to go in.........like Copper Coronet, back corridors, or the Sewers in Slums District of Athkatla (BG2)...............wow just saying that brought back some sweet memories.

Edited by Brimsurfer