Yeah, they should add another five or six levels. No actual abilities or advancement for those levels, just a little empty ability in the abilities section whose name is a validation of your capability to continue earning XP.

Like level 13, you get the ability "Wow, you're totally awesome." Level 14, "Oh boy, you must have done lots of quests", Level 15 "Nobody can earn experience points like you!"

"They are completionists, and some of them don't seem to appreciate that removing the level cap would either trivialize the end of the game (if the game is not rebalanced)"

You make this sound like a bad thing. It's not.

"or force everyone to be completionists every time (if the game is rebalanced to account for the lack of a level cap)."

No. No, it doesn't.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Aside from three fights (a band of vampires, an ancient dragon and an immortal priest), the game does not seem to be balanced around high level parties at all. I hit level 11 before beginning Act 3, and I spent most fights auto-attacking without using a single spell. It would not matter whether I had a party of 6 or 4 --  even my tanks (Eder and Kana) could auto-attack through most encounters without running any risk of dying.

This was on Hard difficulty, but it probably would not make much of a difference on PotD - outside of bossfights that bend the rules, my tanks were just too beefy and my spells too powerful for anything to stand a chance.

I think XP gain could be cut in half and the game would benefit from it immensely. You would need to bring out scrolls and potions or possibly even cheese the three fights I mentioned, but otherwise you would find Act 3 much more enjoyable with a level 8-10 party.

Edited by Concordance

on PtoD one of the bounties required a lot of preparation (i think the one in cliant lis)

PIllars of eternty (Hard) 1st playtrough: 155h, 38 m (main Ranger with bear(bow), Eder, Durance(off tank), Hirvais(off tank), Kana(ranged), Aloth/GM)
PIllars of eternty (PtoD) 2nd playtrough: 88h 30 m (main Bleak Walker Paladin, Eder, Barbarian, Monk, Rogue (ranged) Cypher(wand)
(not counting reloads and experimenting)
status i love the game, hate the bugs, and wish for better AI and Pathfinding

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78749-needed-qualyty-of-life-improvements-information-and-transparency/