[Bug?] Shield with "Bash" has 3 more accuracy than main hand weapon

So I got the "Larder door" shield (won't say more so as to not spoil people), and I've equipped it on Eder. He's lvl 3, and is wielding a hatchet in the other hand. At the moment, he has 28 accuracy with the hatchet, and 31 accuracy with the shield. 

No, it's not the stat stacking bug - I don't have any talents or items that grant accuracy! And I haven't loaded the game once in Gilded Vale anyway.

Anyone experienced this with this shield? I reloaded the save right after I acquired it, and I still had the same accuracy numbers (28, 31). Where is that extra 3 accuracy coming from? It doesn't help that there's not a tooltip for the "Bash" enchant.

Bash lets you use the shield as a weapon

so you are seeing two accuracies: one for the hatchet, and one for the weapon

The Hatchet one is being affected by the shield accuracy penalty, so its reduced

The shield is not affect by that penalty when used as a weapon with bash, so it has higher accuracy

hope thats clear?

The Unofficial Pillars of Eternity Wiki - Community/Fan Maintained!

It seemed to me that this bash thing makes my fighter do less dps, due to skipping strikes from a decent main hand weapon.

Probably, but it increases your DPS as compared to a normal shield. So it depends on what your going for with your fighter.

Bash lets you use the shield as a weapon

so you are seeing two accuracies: one for the hatchet, and one for the weapon

The Hatchet one is being affected by the shield accuracy penalty, so its reduced

The shield is not affect by that penalty when used as a weapon with bash, so it has higher accuracy

hope thats clear?

Nope. The shield has a -8 accuracy penalty, and the difference between the two is 3 (hatchet has 28, shield has 31). Eder is lvl 3 and a fighter, so he has 30 base accuracy +6 from 2 levels -8 from the shield = 28 accuracy. The shield is indeed being affected by its own accuracy penalty - it's just getting 3 accuracy from somewhere else.

I would love to know how you got the shield bash ability from that shield I equipped it on my fighter and it didnt give me squat.

And yes, Bash seems to convert the shield into a weapon - though whether its fast, average, or slow I'm not sure. My comment about the tooltip was that its possible Bash gives an extra 3 accuracy to the shield for some reason, but I have no way of knowing if that's the case so for now I'm assuming its a bug.