Obsidian, why isn't there any hotfix yet?

Jazou

Question

Dear Obsidian,

first at all I want to clarify that I respect your hard work and you guys did really create a great game.

This thread is not determined to be a troll or whining thread - instead I want to ask a genuine question:

Why isn't there any hotfix yet?

I did already ask this question inside the stat stacking bug thread but as I think that my posts probably

weren't read by devs, I wanted to separate this question in an own thread. 

Please Obsidian, don't do the mistake to wait for delivering one big update that fixed as many bugs as

possible. Instead please deliver a hotfix as soon as possible so that at least some bugs (or even only one)

get fixed in short time. We don't demand an all-in-one fix for "everything" - just sharing what is already done

would be amazing. Every day there are more players getting into troubles and I'm sure some of the reasons

are already eliminiated and are just waiting for other fixes to provide all of them together within the announced

patch. I have the feeling that the patch got already a bit delayed because you want to fix as many bugs as

possible within this week. But in some situations it's better to satisfy the crowd step by step instead of waiting

to make everyone happy at once. 

Please note: This is not a rhetorical question - I really would appreciate an honest answer. What are the reasons

to put many fixes within one update instead of providing small hotfixes to the community when there are that kind

of critical/game breaking bugs? Or didn't you fix at least one of them yet? (I wouldn't blame you for that either!)

I just would love to hear an official statement - please give us more info about the actual state.

Best,

A fan of your work

Edited by Jazou
  • Like 10

[...] but in all honesty I would rather wait for Obsidian to release a proper patch than get a quick hot-fix [...]

This answer is not just for you but for everyone who responded in a similar way:

Maybe my statement was a bit cloudy.

It's not about rushing to release unverified fixes. It's just about not holding back what is probably already fixed and tested.

• Like 2

[...] but in all honesty I would rather wait for Obsidian to release a proper patch than get a quick hot-fix [...]

This answer is not just for you but for everyone who responded in a similar way:

Maybe my statement was a bit cloudy.

It's not about rushing to release unverified fixes. It's just about not holding back what is probably already fixed and tested.

Obsidian Entertainment: We refuse to release patches when they're ready, because **** you.

<smh>

I feel like the fact we have a slightly buggy game after release is largely due to developers having to give a solid release date long before it is actually ready. I am not finding the game unplayable myself. You avoid saving and loading on the maps you pick heroes up on.. that was easy. Dont double click on items to equip them. Done. I have one character running around with negative DR (its still positive when I put armour on and it is a documented issue). I just deal with that. Ive watched some lets play on youtube that were 20 odd hours long without any bugs surfacing. I'm not trying to say that it isnt a problem that games get released not quite ready but ... it happens. Personally I am more sore about them putting combat XP into the game because I seem to be outleveling most of the content I run into.

I am a fan of obsisian and pillars but let's not kid ourselves, these bugs are not minor. I do consider ability loss on equipment switching, save bloating, persistant buffs/debufs and the game crashing gamebreaking, won't touch the game again untill these are fixed.

That's legit, I guess, but those bugs only happen for a percentage of people. They're not universal. I'm over 80 hours into PoE and I've yet to experience any of them. And the racial ability loss is hardly game breaking--the racial powers are pretty minor and make virtually no difference in actual playing.

This bug IS game breaking.

Although it might not affect much some characters, some builds rely 100% on the stuff this bug breaks (example: this bugs break the paladin defense habilities, and also breaks godlike habilities, if you made a godlike paladin... you are basically screwed, you just have a character able to swing a stick and that is it).

Dear Obsidian,

first at all I want to clarify that I respect your hard work and you guys did really create a great game.

This thread is not determined to be a troll or whining thread - instead I want to ask a genuine question:

Why isn't there any hotfix yet?

I did already ask this question inside the stat stacking bug thread but as I think that my posts probably

weren't read by devs, I wanted to separate this question in an own thread. 

Please Obsidian, don't do the mistake to wait for delivering one big update that fixed as many bugs as

possible. Instead please deliver a hotfix as soon as possible so that at least some bugs (or even only one)

get fixed in short time. We don't demand an all-in-one fix for "everything" - just sharing what is already done

would be amazing. Every day there are more players getting into troubles and I'm sure some of the reasons

are already eliminiated and are just waiting for other fixes to provide all of them together within the announced

patch. I have the feeling that the patch got already a bit delayed because you want to fix as many bugs as

possible within this week. But in some situations it's better to satisfy the crowd step by step instead of waiting

to make everyone happy at once. 

Please note: This is not a rhetorical question - I really would appreciate an honest answer. What are the reasons

to put many fixes within one update instead of providing small hotfixes to the community when there are that kind

of critical/game breaking bugs? Or didn't you fix at least one of them yet? (I wouldn't blame you for that either!)

I just would love to hear an official statement - please give us more info about the actual state.

Best,

A fan of your work

i registred my forum account to ask the same question. no hotfix till now? no answer here from developers? skeptical.gif

i have to say that the initial post nails it down and says everything. feels absolutely straight out of my mind.

I am sure this has been answered somewhere before but how were these issues not found in the massive beta test?  I cant imagine they didnt spring up in the beta.  I am not familiar with this type of testing but perhaps something went awry from the beta build to the final release build that was not picked up?  Isnt the final release just the beta with fixes applied?

I am sure this has been answered somewhere before but how were these issues not found in the massive beta test?  I cant imagine they didnt spring up in the beta.  I am not familiar with this type of testing but perhaps something went awry from the beta build to the final release build that was not picked up?  Isnt the final release just the beta with fixes applied?

I wish that's how it works, because then no competent game would have any bugs. 

To put it simply, every time you change any one thing, it can break other things in the code. That means no matter how many times you test things, you will nearly always have some bugs. That's why games get patched; and that's why developers test those patches before releasing them (which is what is happening now, and which is why hotfixes aren't always a good idea); and that's why patches, no matter how well tested, can possibly introduce new issues. Obviously, you want to reach a place where the only bugs and hiccups remaining are very minor, and you want to reach that place before release. But since the point of developing before release is to add new features and tweak gameplay, it's almost impossible for PC games, especially CRPGs, especially (comparatively) nonlinear ones like this one, to not have bugs. 

Anyway, that doesn't mean it's OK to have bugs. It's a good thing the new patch is coming very soon. It's just that (1) hotfixes aren't always a good idea as they can break new things, (2) bugs in a game doesn't mean devs were stupid or lazy or forgot something - otherwise everyone at Bioware, Bethesda, Ubisoft, you name it, would be stupid and lazy and forgetful. 

• Like 1

The question is, why so many bugs went into final version?

Perhaps you aren't familiar with Obsidian.  Great RPG designer, but their games are pretty much always buggy on release.  If anything I'd say Pillars is less buggy than their average release.  Also the more complex a game is the more likely it is to have bugs, and Pillars is really complex.

Obsidian suxs! It's over a week already and still no quick hotfix for the game breaking bugs :/

Have you even tried reading anything in this thread, or you just came in to throw a tantrum?

I have and i came in to vent my frustration because i can't play the game as every saves my character became godlier. It's more than a week already. At least they make an official statement or update about the status of patching.

It is always the risk you take when you buy a game on release. There will be bugs, usually lots of them. Eventually they usually get fixed (even if it is a fan fix).

This game does not have a load of bugs but the ones it does have are significant. I hope that means it will not take them long to fix the problems.

Edited by Valmy

Obsidian suxs! It's over a week already and still no quick hotfix for the game breaking bugs :/

Have you even tried reading anything in this thread, or you just came in to throw a tantrum?

I have and i came in to vent my frustration because i can't play the game as every saves my character became godlier. It's more than a week already. At least they make an official statement or update about the status of patching.

They did.  Go check the FAQ thread pinned right at the top of this forum.

I've never seen any company putting up a communication system to tell their customer that the next patch is XX% ready for release.

Unrealistic, useless, pointless.

They say they are doing their best and expect to hopefully release a patch before the end of the week.

What else do you want?

In this day and age it's really unrealistic to buy a game in the first few days of release and expect it to be working fine.

Be patient and wait for them to work it out.

Man. This is so much more annoying than the game being bugged.

I paid 173$ 2 years ago, and I'm not here running around naked, shouting for getting it fixed ASAP because BUG SUX!

This is the gaming industry. It sucks ass. Try to learn the lesson and not be fooled again.

• Like 1

In this day and age it's really unrealistic to buy a game in the first few days of release and expect it to be working fine.

I paid 173$ 2 years ago, and I'm not here running around naked, shouting for getting it fixed ASAP because BUG SUX!

This is the gaming industry. It sucks ass. Try to learn the lesson and not be fooled again.

Don't be silly like you have been brainwashed by Obsidian.

Many games are released without bugs that making game unplayable. Yes, cRPG also. Maybe you have been fooled with those 173$ but for now Obsidian release broken game.

Patch ASAP!

• Like 1

When bugs are so ugly like the stat ones, fix is needed with a hotfix, all other stuff (visual and gameplay) can go out on the normal scheduled patches.

Larian do this with Divinity Origin, everything was good because big bugs game breaking where fixed in less than 24 hours.

I am pissed i am loosing my holidays.

Edited by Arturo Sanquiz

Yes i know, my english sux.

When bugs are so ugly like the stat ones is fix that asap with a hotfix, all other stuff (visual and gameplay) can go out on the normal scheduled patches.

You act like because it's a high priority it should be easy to fix.  That is not how bug fixing works. 

• Like 1

When bugs are so ugly like the stat ones is fix that asap with a hotfix, all other stuff (visual and gameplay) can go out on the normal scheduled patches.

You act like because it's a high priority it should be easy to fix.  That is not how bug fixing works. 

They state that they already fix it few days ago, they where waiting for more bugs go out to fix then and make a big patch, they could easily release the fix for the mayor bugs first and the others later.

You know, if you are hungry and some show you a hotcake and you smell it and then they hide it, how are you going to feel?

That's how i feel.

Edited by Arturo Sanquiz

Yes i know, my english sux.

I've never seen any company putting up a communication system to tell their customer that the next patch is XX% ready for release.

Unrealistic, useless, pointless.

They say they are doing their best and expect to hopefully release a patch before the end of the week.

What else do you want?

1. It's absolutely not pointless to show that you care about your customer base. It's not about percentage but about things like "Today we gave our current build to our testers and we hope to get positive feedback the next 2 days" maybe followed with "Unfortunetaly we have to take a deeper look at issue XYZ and have to rework the patch, we expect to fix it until the evening" ... this would show the customer that you actually care a lot, it would calm people a bit as they feel the progress and it would take a PR/community manager maybe 1 hour of the day to keep such updates. This would help to gain the trust and respect of the fans and customers and to get a long standing binding to the company. But you know better, I'm sure.

2. It is absoutely realistic to expect to buy a game today aswell as in the past which is at least playable without game stoppers and without obvious bugs of such extent. It is, and other games prove this every day. There are many games which get released in a state in which they are playable from beginning to the end with the vast majority not noticing any major bugs. Don't know which games you buy, but it seems you're here to silence every critic without facts or at least a real constructive discussion. You even tell people how they have to feel. So ask yourself what this lets you look like.

3. Nobody cares how much you invested into the game, the amount of money isn't directly related to the level of frustration. Nor does it make your opinions right if you spent more then backer X or backer Y. It is absolutely ok to be frustrated if you sent some amount of money and don't get what you expect. There are also backers from countries where you earn a lot less money. So your 173US$ might be the same cut for someone else only spending 30US$ and it's not your place to look down to them if this is what you are trying to tell here.

4. "This is the gaming industry" is not an argument, this is pathetic BS. The gaming industry is working on a profit base as every other business also, if it gets away with more money for less efford, then this is the way it TRIES to take. The customers could try to change the rules by complaining, by not buying anymore and in the end there is a chance, if the critical mass is reached, to get a fair bargain on both sides. This is if we don't have to deal with people like you.