Unlockable camera?

I loved KOTOR, but one of my major gripes about it was how the camera was locked. It's not exactly a BIG issue, and maybe be because adaptation to the Xbox or something, but it'd be nice to have it unlocked in KOTOR2. I was playing NWN just before this, and not being able to move the camera freely around (up and down, zoom) kinda annoyed. Even NWN managed to unlock it fully with a mere xpac (and even before, it was already more freeform than KOTOR), so I don't suppose it's asking too much of a sequel? Heck, there was already some sort of free look option in the game, you could simply expand on that.

This would be imo one of the coolest features you could improve engine-wise, at least for me.

:angry:

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

[*]Will it be possible to get even a slightly larger field of view in the y-axis? I cannot count the number of times I moved the mouse back and forth in vain attempts to look up from the ground, or down from the streets of Taris. I can do it when watching from first person perspective. Doing it from third person perspective would have been nice.

DEV:Yes.

The locked camera didn't bother me too much. There's no real need to look up or down in Kotor, other than to admire the scenery. If the game had a functional requirement for free look, like FPS, that would change of course.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like free look with full 360 views, but it's not really necessary from a game perspective.

It this day and age, it is.

Playing KOTOR was like going back of 12 years. You can't imagine my frustration when i wanted to look around Taris panorama and find out i couldn't, even in first person mode, i felt constricted like if i was playing a shooter from 1995.

Now, if they don't want to change the game machanics, leave the normal screen alone, but if you're going to insert a first person viewing mode, let's have one that actually serves it's purpose, shall we ?!?

Don't get me wrong, I'd like free look with full 360 views, but it's not really necessary from a game perspective.

It this day and age, it is.

Now, if they don't want to change the game machanics, leave the normal screen alone, but if you're going to insert a first person viewing mode, let's have one that is actually serves it's purpose, shall we ?!?

I agree, but if they aren't going to create situations where it's necessary to look around I don't see the point. It's not an engine problem I think. You can't even jump six inches over small obstacles in Kotor, so how come you can leap through the air with Force Jump? Weird. However, they've already stated we will be able to use free look in third person, and can already look around (tho limited) in first person, so the problem seems to be solved. We'll see.

There's a cheat code in KotOR1 that lets you turn on a free moving camera mode so you can fly a camera all around an area and look at whatever you want. Unfortunately, I forget what it is off hand. I'll have to check the code when I get back to work.

Not exactly the same thing as what you're talking about, but it is a cool way to check out the level. :)

-Akari

Hmm, now that would have been really useful if party members were contrallable with the mouse(point'n click) for example, easy as moving units in the Total War games.

Anyway, (3rd Person) mouse look (toggleable I guess so you could still swing the camera around) would be more than just nice IMO, and have more uses than admiring the scenery. With FPS type functionality there'd be no more having to hold a button to toggle to pointer mode so you can move pointer into position and click for example, just "aim" and click ... well, hope I'm not starting to rant heh

There's a cheat code in KotOR1 that lets you turn on a free moving camera mode so you can fly a camera all around an area and look at whatever you want. Unfortunately, I forget what it is off hand. I'll have to check the code when I get back to work.

Not exactly the same thing as what you're talking about, but it is a cool way to check out the level. :rolleyes:

-Akari

That's cool. I'll need to look for that as checking out some of Talis. I agree on the moveable camera if it is possible. I prefer pointing my camera more up and behind so I can see what is in front of him better.

The code in KotOR1 was to go to the messages GUI and do:

X, Left (on the directional pad), A, X

That should print 'Punch it Chewie' in the messages. Press start to get out of the GUI panel and then press the Right analog stick down (like you're going into first person view). This should make it so you can fly the camera around freely. This works better on some stages than others.

In KotOR2, it'll be Y, Left, A, Y (since X is used on that screen now). Enjoy!

-Akari

The code in KotOR1 was to go to the messages GUI and do:

X, Left (on the directional pad), A, X

That should print 'Punch it Chewie' in the messages. Press start to get out of the GUI panel and then press the Right analog stick down (like you're going into first person view). This should make it so you can fly the camera around freely. This works better on some stages than others.

In KotOR2, it'll be Y, Left, A, Y (since X is used on that screen now). Enjoy!

-Akari

Ah X-Box only cheat.