So, my first play through was with a paladin.  I really enjoyed it, but didn't really put anything into perception or intelligence or lore, so didn't really get any particularly unique dialogue options (besides some might ones). 

I've now started as a cipher, with a pretty good number of points in perception, intelligence and lore.  But, honestly, I haven't really seen much of a change in my dialogue options.  I'm only at level 3 or so, so haven't even left the 1st act. 

Has someone else that has done multiple play throughs had a different experience?  I'm honestly not motivated to continue to play, if it isn't a significant difference in dialogue options I get presented.  I planned this character explicitly to get more dialogue options and to learn new things in the game, and am right now being underwhelmed.  In Arcanum, or, FNV, the character intelligence made a HUGE, immediately noticable difference in the dialogue options.  Am I just not far enough in?

"1 is 1"

That's all well and good, but I really am specifically curious about having high intelligence, perception, and lore.  So far, the only thing I have seen is a few options for "witty" responses, but ones that don't really change the content of what I am saying, or the reaction I would receive.

I am sure and aware that different classes, races, and all that impact and change some of the options, but I am more concerned about whether I am going to see a dramatically different set of options BECAUSE OF my attributes specifically.  If not, it really doesn't matter what my attributes are when I replay it, at least from the perspective of dialogue options (which I am really hoping is not the case).

"1 is 1"

That's all well and good, but I really am specifically curious about having high intelligence, perception, and lore.  So far, the only thing I have seen is a few options for "witty" responses, but ones that don't really change the content of what I am saying, or the reaction I would receive.

I am sure and aware that different classes, races, and all that impact and change some of the options, but I am more concerned about whether I am going to see a dramatically different set of options BECAUSE OF my attributes specifically.  If not, it really doesn't matter what my attributes are when I replay it, at least from the perspective of dialogue options (which I am really hoping is not the case).

Perception often opens up new dialogue options. Sometimes it allows pacifistic quest solutions, sometimes you just get some details. I didn't have high Intelligence, so no clue how often it appears, same about lore.

Perception and Resolve are the stats that are most commonly used in dialogues, so I got them as high as possible and used them pretty much in at least one out of three quests. 

I believe the best main char you can take is a tank with all three mental attributes as high as possible preferably with decent lore since that would give the most dialogue choices. You might fail some scripted events but thankfully in many of them your NPCs can help you.

Your attributes give you quite a few new options here and there, but the game focuses on the disposition system more. And frankly, I kind of prefer it - I somehow find it more entertaining to be consistently stoic or rational for example, than just pick the intelligence option every time it's there, just because my int is high.

There's also the fact that picking those high attribute choices isn't always the good thing to do. Some int options make you seem snobbish, and some resolve options make you seem like some kind of crusader who's forcing his beliefs onto others. It's kind of refreshing really, because in the past these high attribute choices were always the "I WIN THIS DAMN CONVERSATION" button. 

Keep in mind the high resolve option might not necessarily be the best way to deal with the situation. You are supposed to make a deal with multiple parties involved in a quest, you could convince one side to give in - or you could try to find the underlying issues and find a solution beneficial for everyone (or at least most). E.g. the miller quest, or the salty mast quest.

That said, i think i got most out of perception, closely followed by resolve. Intelligence came up, but not as much as resolve and perception. Few high dex checks. No con checks (dump stat for my char), but several might checks (also dump stat, so i don't know if the results would be interesting).

Skills: Several lore checks in act 2, and now some lore 10 checks at the start of act 3. Also some survival in act 2. No checks for athletics so far. Other skills are too low on my main character.

Edited by pstone

I'm going to continue playing and see, then.  My paladin had really high resolve and might, and I'm sure I got plenty of options for that.  I'm playing a cipher now, and I decided to go with 15 might, 10 constitution, 10 dexterity, 15 perception, 17 intelligence and 12 resolve.  Using my metagame knowledge, I'm well aware I'll be able to boost both intel and perception at least 2 points, so that will put me at 17 perception and 19 intelligence.  If that isn't enough with a high lore score to get some interesting dialogue options, I don't know what will work.

"1 is 1"

I'm going to continue playing and see, then.  My paladin had really high resolve and might, and I'm sure I got plenty of options for that.  I'm playing a cipher now, and I decided to go with 15 might, 10 constitution, 10 dexterity, 15 perception, 17 intelligence and 12 resolve.  Using my metagame knowledge, I'm well aware I'll be able to boost both intel and perception at least 2 points, so that will put me at 17 perception and 19 intelligence.  If that isn't enough with a high lore score to get some interesting dialogue options, I don't know what will work.

I had several perception 19 checks so far. Nothing esssential, but they do exist.