I'm stuck. Playing on normal. Level 9/8 last boss

Hi all. I am on the last boss. I keep getting one shotted, and I can't figure out any way to beat him. All my guys die too quickly to the giant ass statues if I focus what's his face, but they get picked off by him if I try and kill a statue first.

I have the same problem ;/ But I am level 11/10 (hah) I can annoy the main dude without a problem, and keep em interrupted until he goes to his knees but as soon as he boosts the statues I literally wipe with 1 hit from the knock-down flame pillar combo that both statues employ in boosted state. And even if I don't wipe, that always ends up 1 shotting my tanks and as soon as I cast revive the statutes cast knock-down flame-pillar all over again. I tried knocking and CC'ing one of the statutes down but I literally die from 1 shot from the flame pillar.... and the save reload times are not exactly adding to my enjoyment here ;P

Can someone give some general guidance? ;)

God damn it, more one shotting?  This is stupid.

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Or maybe it is just me being stupid. I don't know. It's entirely possible that I completely mis-skilled the entire party as it's literally my first to last run through the game. But I don't understand how a flame pillar can knock 200 endurance and very high defense down to 0 (or at least very very close to it, doesn't matter anyhow when you are knocked-down ,p)

Just a fail-safe guide on how to approach this fight would be enough I think. Before this boss I was literally never one-shotted ;)

I got annihilated in the final boss fight enough to go to YouTube to find the solution: have Aloth use a level-six spell, the one that petrifies the enemy, on Thaos while you take the two statues out one-by-one (the guy recommended killing the headsman first but I find the judge to the more dangerous: kill the guy with the hammer!). Just tank the one you don't want to kill first while everyone unloads on your chosen dead statue, and keep Thaos petrified. When he's alone he's easy pickings.

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

At level 11 I can cast that spell exactly twice ;) And after 50 seconds (assuming first one doesn't just flat out *miss* ) there doesn't seem to be a way (despite lowering res, and even charming the other giant) to kill 1 of them.. and after mage dude gets back in he heals first thing so I am a bit unsure how I am supposed to "keep him suppressed" so he doesn't do that. I can't really divert one of my tanks from the hammer statue or my main tank deals literally zero damage (Paladin+Eder may have been a bad choice here) ;/ At least with petrifying him first thing I have time cast some defenses on my tanks, which is good, they survive a minute ;) But so does the hammer statue.

Eder and my Paladin aren't exactly dealing high damage numbers her. I know I can CC the other statue, even charm it, but there is high chance to miss the spells on them so I either cast petrify twice or I charm something, doesn't work both (or I have super bad luck)

And btw, for OP at level 9 he doesn't even have petrify skill. ^^

Well OP at level nine probably regrets rushing the game. ;)

Anyway, my party was level twelve so I could drop that spell three times and it was plenty of time to kill Thaos. Of course I also had three people with heavy ranged weapons under the influence of the still-not-nerfed gunner's cadence, so my DPS was looking pretty good too.

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

Yeah I opted for a non exploit playthrough ;P it also doesn't help that petrify has accuracy 86 and big mage dude has defense against it at 140... and I just missed petrify and knockdown.. 10 (saves) in a row. Charming the axe statue works, but it doesn't attack anything (great..) I get 1 statue down to "near death" and then I am dead.

need other tactic. This would work if Aloth wasn't such a terrible mage. Or heck, If I had a druid.. alas... I have Eder, Aloth, me (Paladin that sucks at everything apparently ,p) Sagani+Fox, Grieving Mother (at least she does decent range dmg) Durance (Without him this would be over after 5 seconds)

And with mage dude stunned I can tank the statues with potions and food buff. That's not the problem I regularly get one to near death. The problem is when he ISN'T stunned anymore and any statue is still alive, I literally 1 shot from his casts. And my knock-down (what else) misses 5 out of 10 times. And only Eder can actually knock down. But I need Eder to tank a statue or there isn't a lot of space to actually survive in. ;P

Ps.: And I just want to say, the combat log says mage dude has an Aura, but unless I am blind I lose 100 endurance in a single second as soon as he casts it. My tanks can survive that.. my other dudes.. well not so much ;p

Edited by eRe4s3r