Really want to buy, but...

I'm very interested in getting PoE.  However, I don't want my experience to be marred by new-release bugs.  From what I've read, there are currently some pretty serious, game-breaking ones.  Would I be better off waiting for the first big patch?  Any idea when this is coming?

Thanks!

Yes.

I bought it on launch and am currently waiting for the patch before continuing. The game is fantastic, and you might be able to get a good 20-30 hours out of it before bugs become overwhelming and progression becomes impossible or the game becomes too easy because half your party has stats with triple digits.

Can't ever say for certain when the patch is coming, but the promise was this week. So probably next week.

Since you know there are some bugs with it, why not take a peek at what they are and then decide from there. As far as I'm aware, almost all of them can be avoided once you know how they occur. So yeah, if you're armed with that knowledge, there's no reason why you couldn't play the game now.

I'm having a great time.  I haven't run into many bugs and my stats aren't all out of whack as a level 6 about 20 hours in.  I got lucky and haven't had anything game breaking come up although I hear others have.

I'm 39hrs in and only like 1hr lost due to one weird bug with companions. Provided you save regularly and make backups and read up on the biggest bugs (just a few), I think you're fine and I'm loving every second of the game.

If you only plan on playing the game once or twice I'd say wait a bit. Otherwise I'd go for it.

Edited by Stratosj

Are there some bug? Yes.

Do any of them really qualify as "game-breaking"? Not really in my opinion.

Are people over-stating the buggy nature of the game in light of Obsidian's track record and to be on the cool band wagon of criticizing a game getting high industry ratings? You bethca.

I'm very interested in getting PoE.  However, I don't want my experience to be marred by new-release bugs. 

Actually the two worst bugs are easy to avoid if you know about them going in. Unfortunately we early-adopters were days into a playthrough before the problems came to light, so most of us got stung to one degree or another. But you should be fine.

DID YOU KNOW: *Missing String*

I completed the game after a solid and fun 63 hours - and the only bug that impacted me was the occasional crashing in the Hold, but that wasn't so bad considering crashing isn't world ending lol.   Also save and load times bloating at the end, but it wasn't near what old games were anyways so it didn't bother me lol. 

The game is quite playable unless you end up being extremely unlucky. 

Like others have said, there are some bugs.

I avoided the forums during my first playthrough (and I could play from start to finish and enjoy the story and the mechanics very much), and I did notice some bugs on my own but they weren't game breaking and they weren't any of the exploitable or abusable bugs that I noticed when I came back after I had finished the game (on a second playthrough now). Did encounter some frustrating ones that made me reload (insect spell that never went away), but I didn't notice anything that made my party overly super powerful (as far as I could tell). Some glitching happened here and there, but nothing massive and I could over-look most of it.

I disagree with some of the design, or rather, some of the design doesn't feel final and/or simply a "foundation" for what is to come, and/or what they had the budget to do. As if the designers wanted to go to greater lengths, but, they just didn't have the time or money to do it (but will probably be able to get closer to it now that PoE, thus far, has been such a success). If they self-fund a sequel or even use crowdfunding for feature creep/stretch goals (Like Harebrained Schemes and Larian Studios) in a "We're working on this game and we got the money but we could always use some more to make more!", then I'm pretty sure it's going to be bigger, better, stronger than the first.

For being a Kickstarted/crowdfunded title, Obsidian Entertainment has laid out the ground work, the "Pillars" of Eternity ;) Now they got to do Walls of Eternity :p then Roof of Eternity, then Furniture of Eternity xD

Edited by Osvir

I have the game, but I'm just waiting.    I don't have much time right now and with the bugs, I figure waiting another two weeks isn't going to kill me -- in fact, it will probably save me time, both from loading because of possible bugs and from extra downloading.    If you're unsure of the game, just do the same.  Give it a few weeks, keep an eye on the forum, and see how the bug fixes go.   When they've got the patch out, buy the game.  It's certainly not going to disappear from the market.

I'd wait. Who knows what new problems will prop up with the next patch. And then another week or two wait to get that fixed. When it comes to game breaking bugs, they're sure taking their time to provide any fix for them. I don't understand why they're waiting for one big patch instead of using Steam at its fullest to provide the fixes as they come to them.

The problem trashmyego is because the patching process has to not ruin save games or people would freak out and bring torches and pitch forks - whenever you have to preserve existing save games in a patch it complicates matters significantly.  So, it makes releasing small patches a bit at a time a lot less viable - and big patches, that you're sure won't wreck existing save games, the much better option. 

Edited by Gallenger

People are just beeing drama queens again. I´ve played 27 hours now and I had to restart the game two times because of a blackscreen and reload maybe one or two times cuz something got stuck. Hardly what I would call "game breaking"

• Like 1

People are just beeing drama queens again. I´ve played 27 hours now and I had to restart the game two times because of a blackscreen and reload maybe one or two times cuz something got stuck. Hardly what I would call "game breaking"

Full passive skill wipes, encounter abilities locking as 'Already activated', Ciphers losing the ability to gain focus, Ranger companions vanishing, whole maps being unaccessible, a DoT you can get that will never go away, getting permanently stuck in combat, and save files that break for good. I don't think all these issues came from people being 'drama queens.' But congratulations on your blackscreens, I wish I was just dealing with a game that would crash periodically but that's something that hasn't happened to me yet, so I'm just going to assume you're lying and making a big deal. 

• Like 1

Full passive skill wipes, encounter abilities locking as 'Already activated', Ciphers losing the ability to gain focus, Ranger companions vanishing, whole maps being unaccessible, a DoT you can get that will never go away, getting permanently stuck in combat, and save files that break for good. I don't think all these issues came from people being 'drama queens.' But congratulations on your blackscreens, I wish I was just dealing with a game that would crash periodically but that's something that hasn't happened to me yet, so I'm just going to assume you're lying and making a big deal. 

....Honestly, what did you expect? A completely bug-free experience? A perfect game on release? Sorry thats impossible for most AAA top-tier budget games, let alone a Kickstarted game that had no where near that level of resources. Just saying, if you want 0 bugs, wait 6 months. Especially with Obsidian's apparent history for buggy games. I wouldn't know anything about that though - I NEVER buy games at release because a) price b) bugs, patches, etc and c) i'd rather wait for an expansion and play it all at once. Lets me get a cheaper, overall better experience IMO. But thats just me.  :no:

No serious bugs here, just a few companions having a few points of extra stats.

If you like IE games, just buy it. It might feel a little dumbed down, but the game expands nicely in later levels for most classes, if you don't abuse obviously broken game mechanics. Writing is top notch even if companions could have had a bit more beef to them.

Note to self: I think I got lucky with this one, there are Obsidian games that I was never able to finish. Yet in PoE I got 0 game breaking bugs.

Edited by SeekDWay

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.