Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ultimate DPS class? Rogue/Cipher/Barabarian?

dps class best

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

daammyy

daammyy

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts

Anyone knows any good builds for a ranged cipher from a reliable source? 

MadDemiurg

MadDemiurg

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1010 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

Well, I'm probably not a reliable source, but here's what I'm running with:

Race: wood elf (+5 acc ftw)

Stats: M 18 D 19 C 3 P 4 I 19 R 15

Talents: Draining whip, Biting whip (2 no brainers), Penetrating Shot, Gunner, Marksman, WF (for firearms cipher)

Powers are trickier. Mine (not necessarily optimal) are

L1: Soul shock, tenuous grasp, eyestrike. Other possible choices - Mind wave, charm, antipathetic field (huge dmg potential, but very tricky positioning and can easily kill your own party in seconds). Yeah, all L1 powers are good in certain conditions, so tough choice.

L2: Mental binding, Mind Blades, Recall Agony (first 2 are a must, 3rd is debatable)

L3:. Puppet master, Soul Ignition (turned out kinda meh), Secret horrors

L4: Mind Lance, Pain block, Silent Scream (Body attuntment is an option too)

L5 and 6 are quite OP and there are fewer powers, so it's hard to go wrong

Edited by MadDemiurg, 02 April 2015 - 05:35 AM.

metsu

metsu

Gentleman Pugilist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Having a tough time in the beginning right now with my cipher, but I'm also playing on hard. Maybe Eder just isn't being very tanky yet.

I'm gonna swap back and forth between this dude and a rogue to measure the difference.

MadDemiurg

MadDemiurg

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1010 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

If you go all out dps, you're gonna have problems early on without a proper tank with most classes. 

syarulax

syarulax

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I haven't got to try all class yet from my experience, Barbarian quite formidable, the Health/Endurance you got per level is quit high, and supposedly being design to tank damage rather than deflect them, armor with low DR is good on him. Simply the trade off for speed and more carnage, one thing that is quite formidable about Barbarian you get pick "Vengeful Defeat" later on which is you do full carnage in 2.0m once you reach 0 endurance, combine this with item that grant second chance get back up again, down to 0 endurance afterwards with VD second time, than raise him using Priest. Probably rogue has the highest damage with sneak attack but if you want rush into PotD where enemy count++, your best bet is Barbarian. So far i have great time playing my barb, more than half damage party damage comes from my barb and I don't mind he's low with endurance which pretty much intended to trigger his VD.

Hatred

Hatred

(4) Theurgist

• Members.
  • 242 posts

Best DPS  ? Druid. Why on earth aren't you mention the class which has the best ability to dish out pain. I am playing a druid and I feel like they trivialise a fair amount of the content because they hit so freaking hard. In the time it takes you to swing a melee weapon a druid can kill as many mobs as you can make stand near each other.

Alpha_Omega

Alpha_Omega

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts

I'm waiting for the patch to fix the game breaking bugs and have been testing different character builds.  So far, my best experience with DPS has been either a Fire or Moon Godlike Barbarian with lots of dex and might for quick attack speed and damage bonus.

The moon godlike procs a healing effect since barbarians can lose endurance in some situations.  The fire godlike procs extra fire damage.

I'd say the fire godlike deals more dps but the moon godlike survives a bit longer.

I've not managed to find a build that can kill the bear at the beginning of the game yet though (single char at level 2)

:(

Fun3z

Fun3z

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 13 posts

I'm pretty sure nothing can beat rogue in single target dps if u use the right gear and build. In aoe situations my barb takes the win, my party doesn't have any spell casters expect priests so I can't say anything about ciphers, wizards or druids.

You can buff the rogue so much with only a few spells including paladins attack speed buff and some priest buffs, with Azureith's Stiletto & Bleak Fang enchanted to the max the damage is just off the roof.

It truely seems like everyone has a different opinion about this after reading the whole thread.

Alpha_Omega

Alpha_Omega

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts

I'm pretty sure nothing can beat rogue in single target dps if u use the right gear and build. In aoe situations my barb takes the win, my party doesn't have any spell casters expect priests so I can't say anything about ciphers, wizards or druids.

You can buff the rogue so much with only a few spells including paladins attack speed buff and some priest buffs, with Azureith's Stiletto & Bleak Fang enchanted to the max the damage is just off the roof.

It truely seems like everyone has a different opinion about this after reading the whole thread.

I agree with you that rogue is better single target DPS but when you calculate DPS you're usually fighting groups which pushes Barb ahead since technically you're doing damage to lots of things which is calculated in your dps.

MadDemiurg

MadDemiurg

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1010 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

How are you sure that nothing beats a rogue if you haven't tried the casters?

Azurieth's Stiletto procs a crappy 1st level wizard spell 1/encounter, so an actual wizard can cast spells dealing way more damage.

omgFIREBALLS

omgFIREBALLS

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

DRUID <3

PIP-Clownboy

PIP-Clownboy

Anathematized Apostate of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 382 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Assuming Hard/POTD just about every encounter outside trash stuff aoe dps is more useful than single target. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dps, class, best

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users