all the "requirements not met" options are almost comical.

because it's an RPG? a long time ago before they modern console coup there used to be a genre called RPG.

• Like 5

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

One would argue that those "niche" situations are the very meat and potatoes of this type of game narrative.

Just because you haven't used any of them doesn't make them insignificant or pointless.

Also, you can choose to not-display those in the game options. It will only display the ones for which the requirements are met.

• Like 5

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I think it adds to the replayability, you can discover new dialog options and stories by playing with different types of characters

Yeah exactly. Plus the fact that the game lets you know (if you so choose) the circumstances under which those extra options are unlocked means you won't waste time blindly rolling new characters hoping to see new stuff (or looking it up on walkthroughs which could potentially spoil other things about the game for you).

Go play a game like Shadowrun and then call a vast array of dialog options bad. You're literally complaining about having more options. Plus, if you don't like seeing the things you can't say, you can turn them off in the options menu.

• Like 2

I think this will add replayability, go through with a new character with different skills and see what happens.

I am not sure how many I have used, I have both hidden options turned off as well as the tags that show what unlocks them.  If this is anything like arcanum, BG or even IWD I will replay many times with all sorts of party, and main character combos. and it is nice not to be spoiled and see what happens.

I already played through the first few areas with 2 different characters and had a different outcome happen.

There are super niche options? You don't know how happy this makes me. I've been hiding all the conversation options I don't qualify for, the qualifiers for the ones I do have, and the dispositions the options affect. I like it better that way, helps me RP. :)

I'm super pumped that there are apparently a ton of niche options. That's amazing. Kudos to Obsidian. :D

If it bothers you to see all the ones you don't qualify for, make it so it doesn't display them. It's a checkbox in the "Game" sections of the options menu. You'll have a lot more fun that way.

EDIT: So I guess what I'm saying is.... I have no idea why you're complaining about this. There is literally no downside to more interesting and niche dialogue options. None whatsoever.

Edited by Matt516
  • Like 1

I agree that some are super random, such as some of the earlier Paladin and Priest ones.

I haven't played a Paladin in this game yet, but Paladins saying weird and crazy stuff would't be out of character for this kind of game. I remember in the Icewind Dale series, paladins were religious fundamentalists that occasionally acted like complete psychopaths if you let them do all the talking.

• Like 1

Why bother with so many niche situations or weird character based dialogue options.  It's very irritating.  I think I've used options based on my actual character's skills/stats once.

Uncheck "Show Unqualified Interactions" in the game options to remove the irritation.  Personally, I find myself wishing that there were more dialog options at times, because sometimes none of the available options really match what I feel my character would say or do.  Fewer options would just make that problem worse or more common.

I haven't played a Paladin in this game yet, but Paladins saying weird and crazy stuff would't be out of character for this kind of game. I remember in the Icewind Dale series, paladins were religious fundamentalists that occasionally acted like complete psychopaths if you let them do all the talking.

That sounds hilarious. Do you know anywhere that might have some examples of that? I actually own Icewind Dale due to a quirk of eBay, but... Eh, I'm not really in it for the dungeon crawling, so I never installed it.

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

That sounds hilarious. Do you know anywhere that might have some examples of that? I actually own Icewind Dale due to a quirk of eBay, but... Eh, I'm not really in it for the dungeon crawling, so I never installed it.

It's been a while, but there is one example that stuck in my mind vividly. In Icewind Dale 2 there's an bit where there's some sort of intrigue going on between a demon and some goblin gang in some underground caverns. If you approach the guys with any normal character, you can get into this whole intriguing back-and-forth between some rival groups and get some quests too. If you approach with the Paladin, he talks for a few moments and then abruptly goes "Actually you know what, I think I'm going to kill all you guys."

My memory of the first Icewind Dale is a bit hazier unfortunately. All I remember is that there's one moment where if you talk to one of the enemies with the Paladin it leads to one really hilarious exchange (could be more, but at least one that I know of). Though I don't think that actually affects the quest, I think that was just him trading insults with the guy before an uavoidable fight.

I agree that some are super random, such as some of the earlier Paladin and Priest ones.

No, I'm talking about dialogue options. I've never met the requirements.

It's been a while, but there is one example that stuck in my mind vividly. In Icewind Dale 2 there's an bit where there's some sort of intrigue going on between a demon and some goblin gang in some underground caverns. If you approach the guys with any normal character, you can get into this whole intriguing back-and-forth between some rival groups and get some quests too. If you approach with the Paladin, he talks for a few moments and then abruptly goes "Actually you know what, I think I'm going to kill all you guys."

Classic Paladin.  :yes:

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

I untoggled the option to show unqualified dialogue choices pretty early on.  I don't want to see things I want to say but can't.

Hopefully in future playthroughs I'll enjoy some diversity in what's available to me.

Of more concern to me is knowing precisely what disposition or reputation will be affected, so in my serious playthroughs I'll turn that option on.  For immersive fun it's Expert Mode all the way, and everything gets slammed off.  :D

--/\/

Why bother with so many niche situations or weird character based dialogue options.  It's very irritating.  I think I've used options based on my actual character's skills/stats once.

Uncheck "Show Unqualified Interactions" in the game options to remove the irritation.  Personally, I find myself wishing that there were more dialog options at times, because sometimes none of the available options really match what I feel my character would say or do.  Fewer options would just make that problem worse or more common.

It can be a bit odd - a high int Barb for example, the intelligence score in this case is an abstraction meant to represent cunning etc. I can, however, select somewhat highly academic qualifying options in dialogue.

Suppose if you're into RP to that extent, the advice would be ignore it.

I untoggled the option to show unqualified dialogue choices pretty early on.  I don't want to see things I want to say but can't.

Hopefully in future playthroughs I'll enjoy some diversity in what's available to me.

Of more concern to me is knowing precisely what disposition or reputation will be affected, so in my serious playthroughs I'll turn that option on.  For immersive fun it's Expert Mode all the way, and everything gets slammed off.  :D

FYI, even if you turn them on, you don't see the actual replies - it just tells you what the requirement is and in place of the actual text it's something along the lines of "Reply unavailable" or something to that effect.

Waiter! Fresh underwear, seven blankets and a bucket of moist towelettes!