Finished the Game - Will there be another?

Too soon to ask?

I noticed Obsidian licensed Pathfinder. Does this mean the next RPG will be old D&D rules?

Anyway, I played on Hard with Expert mode and it seemed like Baldur's Gate with a little more combat micromanagement. Next time I wanna try Easy with all the helpers on to see what I missed.

Too soon to ask?

I noticed Obsidian licensed Pathfinder. Does this mean the next RPG will be old D&D rules?

Anyway, I played on Hard with Expert mode and it seemed like Baldur's Gate with a little more combat micromanagement. Next time I wanna try Easy with all the helpers on to see what I missed.

Expansions are definitly coming and a sequel is all but confirmed.

There might be a pathfinder crpg coming, but that will be seperate from eternity or other Obsidian crowd/selffunded projects.

Too soon to ask?

Obsidian has invested a lot of money and effort into the new IP, the game has had really good sales, and both Paradox and Obsidian have been talking about expansions/sequels, so let's just say that it would be a huge surprise if this is the end of the line.

See for instance this link:

http://gamingbolt.com/pillars-of-eternity-cities-skylines-earn-18-5-million-in-three-weeks

Edited by pi2repsion

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

Given that the game saved their company and is currently topping review and sales charts, I think it's safe to assume we'll see another.

• Like 4

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Right now, the Pathfinder license is for the card game, though they might make a separate RPG with it later. The expansion was promised as part of the Kickstarter so they have to do that first. I don't know for sure, but given that they must have spent a great deal of effort on developing the PoE world and rules, there will almost certainly be a sequel. I think the current rules are not too bad -- they could use some fine tuning, but it's a much less risky proposition than switching to something completely different.

Yes and a thousand times yes. They've hit the spot with PoE, and it's a fruit that will deliver a great deal of juice, they just have to keep on squishing it (no sexual pun intended). Seeing that the expansion was actually promised in the Kickstarter, I can only hope that they will expand on the story and continue to elaborate the lore, as they've created a tremendously rich world.

Guys, get those writers working, and with a good raise, the engine is already pretty good so all you need now is to focus on delivering more awesome writings and stories.

Thanks for reviving the RPG genre, which I thought lost.. (Even with these new RPGs like D:OS, DA Inquisition, or Skyrim).

The biggest shame - apart from the many bugs in the release of PoE, which will be fixed - is that the game is so short.

It is a good game, perhaps even a great game, but it falls short of the amount of content in Baldur's Gate I and far short when compared to Baldur's Gate II.

I'm not complaining: You work within the constraints of your funding, wishful thinking won't result in a larger game, and it is all about making the most with what you have - but the result is a game that has small zones and is short, feels short, and lacks much of the grand sweep of those two Infinity Engine games. As it doesn't manage to pull off a spectacular story like PS: Torment did either (but then, that really is a high bar to set!), I just don't see it having the same status a decade and a half from now as BG1 and BG2 do today.

Still, between Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, Divinity: Original Sin, Shadowrun Returns and SR: Dragonfall, all of which I and many others backed, these last two years have been a paradise for party-based computer roleplaying compared to the parched desert of the late 00's and early 10's, and if Torment: Tides of Numenera is also a hit, it'll be a clean sweep. Best of all, the financial success of the games have been noted, so crowdfunding or no crowdfunding we are likely to see more top-view isometric party based CRPGs.

*Dreaming* Given that the financial environment doesn't seem to allow for really long CRPGs even when making games that are only minimally voiced, all we need now is for somebody to launch a brand corresponding to the old Gold Box games, licensing their CRPG game engine.  *Dreaming*

Edited by pi2repsion

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

Agree re baldurs gate 2 although I think it's fair to compare this to bg1. I don't think its smaller than bg1, there's far more dialogue and quests with variable outcomes. Pure map size yes, but BG had a number of maps with a few enemies and not much else.

Edited by ComplyOrDie

The biggest shame - apart from the many bugs in the release of PoE, which will be fixed - is that the game is so short.

At forty hours on the Steam clock I felt that Pillars of Eternity was in danger of being too long. It's alright as it is, but I certainly wouldn't want it to be significantly longer.

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

It is a good game, perhaps even a great game, but it falls short of the amount of content in Baldur's Gate I and far short when compared to Baldur's Gate II.

I'm at 30 hours and nowhere near the end. How long do you think BG1 (without TotSC) is for a first time player?

I would say that PoE definitely is about as long as BG1 without the expansion.  With Tales of the Sword Coast added in, its definitely not.  But I can see this game being about the same length or longer depending on how the expansion turns out. 

Obsidian has invested a lot of money and effort into the new IP, the game has had really good sales, and both Paradox and Obsidian have been talking about expansions/sequels, so let's just say that it would be a huge surprise if this is the end of the line.

Right, so, why did all the publishers spend a decade and a half utterly convinced we didn't want game like this?

Personally I think it was some kind of evil plot.  "How can we do the most harm to computer gaming?  I got it... all games shall be first person shooters.... bwwaaa haha hahaaaaa!"

A white cat may have also been involved.

Right, so, why did all the publishers spend a decade and a half utterly convinced we didn't want game like this?

Personally I think it was some kind of evil plot.  "How can we do the most harm to computer gaming?  I got it... all games shall be first person shooters.... bwwaaa haha hahaaaaa!"

Obsidian didn't invent the Leaden Key, they merely tried to alert us to their existence.

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

I WANT MORE I NEED MORE I WILL PAY FOR MORE BUT I AM POOR!

I still gave them $88 for this game.

That's about the same as I did. I convinced myself that by the time the game's released, I won't remember or care about spending this money. I was right. :D

I WANT MORE I NEED MORE I WILL PAY FOR MORE BUT I AM POOR!

I still gave them $88 for this game.

That's about the same as I did. I convinced myself that by the time the game's released, I won't remember or care about spending this money. I was right. :D

Well I spent $55 on the late backer thing in 2013, then at the start of march I upgraded to the $80 royal edition pledge, then I bought the custom obsidian order title just because I can be the lord god of the forum now.

I'm not complaining: You work within the constraints of your funding, wishful thinking won't result in a larger game, and it is all about making the most with what you have - but the result is a game that has small zones and is short, feels short, and lacks much of the grand sweep of those two Infinity Engine games. As it doesn't manage to pull off a spectacular story like PS: Torment did either (but then, that really is a high bar to set!), I just don't see it having the same status a decade and a half from now as BG1 and BG2 do today.

I felt it to be around the same size as BG1, maybe a bit bigger. I spent 73 hours on my first playthrough (didn't do all sidequests). I'm sure that if you go back and play BG1, you'll find it much shorter than you think it is. I replayed it last year and it lasted me some 20-30 hours (probably less).

I also felt like the story was a really good mix of Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate. It even had its own "torment" moment near the end of the game (although not nearly as impactful).

All around, Pillars of Eternity is, in my opinion, better than Baldur's Gate 1, but still not quite on the level of Baldur's Gate 2 in terms of scale and epicness. Hopefully the sequel, which is pretty much confirmed if the ending is anything to go by ("But at the moment, there was little to be done, and the matter would have to wait. A long journey loomed ahead."), will surpass BG2 on every level. I believe it can.

P.S.: I ****ing hated the dragons in Pillars of Eternity. Seriously, no personality at all, **** voice acting on both of them, they just served as "big bad boss fights". Maybe Grigori just spoiled me.

Edited by mindswayer

I hate Unity.