Combat Rolls - How they work?

I understand that my melee attacks are going to vs the opponents deflection, a specific spell might vs an opponents will etc, so obviously the higher my accuracy and the lower their defensive stat the better. However, I don't understand how the roll actually works. What happens in the 'verus' part?

If I have an accuracy of 26 to hit with my wand and my opponent has a deflection of 65, what formula occurs with these two numbers?

A 26 sided die is rolled against a 65 sided die and if my roll is higher, I hit?

26 smurfs come out and do a dance and if their voices can be heard over 65 oxen then I hit?

How does it work?

Thanks.

Here's what happens, using your example:

Your 26 (attacker's accuracy) goes up against their 65 (defender's appropriate defense -- in this case, Deflection). 26-65 = -39. So, -39 is the modifier that's going to be applied to your combat roll.

The actual attack roll is always the same -- it's 1d100 (a roll between 1 and 100), with your ACC - DEF modifier (from above) added in. So. Let's say you roll a 100, the highest thing you can roll. You get 100, -39, = 61. 61 is your final attack roll. So that would be a Hit (regular damage).

You've got a scale for the final roll value, to determine what happens as a result:

01-15: Miss (no damage, no effects)

16-50: Graze (half-damage/duration)

51-100: Hit (normal damage/duration)

101+: Crit (150% damage/duration)

I believe those ranges are right. I think they changed it some just before the game released, and I can't remember if that's perfectly accurate or not (Crit used to be 96+, and it's possible Grazes might be a smaller range? *shrug*. I could have misses wrong, too. They used to be 1-5, but I THINK they changed to 1-15... SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG!)

But, that's basically how it works. You just plug in all the rest. Are you attacking Reflexes instead of Deflection? You plug that number in, and subtract it from the attacker's Accuracy. Roll 1d100, add the modifier, then look at the chart with the final number.

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Lephys, where do you find the time to both post and play? ;)

Those roll result numbers match what I've seen in-game, at least in the Cyclopedia. I haven't verified that the same numbers are applied in the combat rolls.

Lephys, where do you find the time to both post and play? wink.png

My time to post is actually severely disproportionate to my time to play, original.gif. I get about 3 hours of free time per night, if I'm lucky. And that's to get home, eat food, play stuff, take care of kitties, shower, get ready for bed, etc. original.gif. But I work at a computer for about 10-11 hours a day. So... Needless to say, I probably post more than any human needs to, heh. I just like the interaction of forums.

For curiosity's sake, I've only gotten to put about 5 hours into PoE. I say "gotten to"... I could've probably played about 8 or so by now, but I'm kind of waiting until some things get patched to play more, mainly 'cause I've got like 70-bajillion other games to play at the moment. My girlfriend just gave me a $50 Steam card for my birthday today. EVEN MOAR GAMES! Haha.

Those roll result numbers match what I've seen in-game, at least in the Cyclopedia. I haven't verified that the same numbers are applied in the combat rolls.

Phew! original.gif

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Is this finally the final version of the tables? If so, I'll see about updating that old spreadsheet I made that calculated your effective DPS in pretty much any situation. Let the powergamers rejoice. ;)