Pillars of Eternity Storyline is very Depressing!

I've ran through baldurs gate recently when the enhanced came out and in comparison this game is very Depressing!

In the first BG your father figure is murdered before your eyes but then you end up meeting a lot if comic relief characters and the storyline revolves around so bad guy trying to kill you but the rest of baldurs gate seems oblivious to this..... In comparison this game opens to a tree with half of a town being hung. The other half have become barren and bare children without souls. Also the NPCS are very serious. Eder Alof The Shotgun Priest and Kana I've seen so far. They all seem to lack the same loveable absurdity of the BG NPCs.

I played BG1 when I was 17, and I remember it as pretty depressing. I sucked at IE combat, and the Iron Throne was insanely overpowered and I was underleveled.

I think Pillars is the right amount of depressing. In a world where reincarnation is taken for granted, everything could have been fun and dandy and idyllic.

Imagine our world, random reincarnation being known to be fact-- we'd have a shortage of fear of death or a slight lessening of grief over a loved one's death (since you know they'll be conscious one day again)

If you felt a little depressed I think that speaks volumes of the success of world design. If anything the reverse could have been far worse for the stakes of the story.

I played BG1 when I was 17, and I remember it as pretty depressing. I sucked at IE combat, and the Iron Throne was insanely overpowered and I was underleveled.

I think Pillars is the right amount of depressing. In a world where reincarnation is taken for granted, everything could have been fun and dandy and idyllic.

Imagine our world, random reincarnation being known to be fact-- we'd have a shortage of fear of death or a slight lessening of grief over a loved one's death (since you know they'll be conscious one day again)

If you felt a little depressed I think that speaks volumes of the success of world design. If anything the reverse could have been far worse for the stakes of the story.

Most of my family takes belive in god and heaven and still mourns every one they lost even though they know they'll see them again when they die. Reincarnation is more depressing than the concept of heaven after death, because even though your "soul" will go on everything that you are in this life will not.