Installation Problem

saurus

Question

Hi all,

i bought DVD-Standart-Version.

I activated the activation-key via Steam.

Problem: I cant install only Via DVD. The first 3 GB is copied from DVD to Hard-Disk. Then Steam automaticaly start downloading. I only dont have Internet-Flatrate, i thought i only Need Internet-Connection to Login to STEAM without downloading mass GB.

IS it possible, to install the game ONLY VIA DVD or IS IT NECESSARY TO DOWNLOAD MASS GB VIA STEAM?

SRY FOR BAD ENGLISH

13 answers to this question

Hm, I remember some similar issues with, I think, Fallout New Vegas.

It would start on the DVD and then try to download a lot of data from the net. While I did have a flatrate, DVD was much faster than my connection at the time, so I wanted to use the DVD instead. AFAIK there was a way to prevent the downloading from Steam, most likely by putting Steam into offline mode at the right time or disconnecting whatever you use to connect with the net.

You could try searching for how to install Fallout 3/New Vegas from DVD, maybe that turns up something helpful?

Hi,

thank you very much for your patience.

It is a bit hard to carry the processor via hands (dont have car) to my friend :(

I can download the whole 14 GB with my laptop, thats no problem. BUT how can i transfer from laptop to processor? is it possible?

Thanks very much

Hm, I remember some similar issues with, I think, Fallout New Vegas.

It would start on the DVD and then try to download a lot of data from the net. While I did have a flatrate, DVD was much faster than my connection at the time, so I wanted to use the DVD instead. AFAIK there was a way to prevent the downloading from Steam, most likely by putting Steam into offline mode at the right time or disconnecting whatever you use to connect with the net.

You could try searching for how to install Fallout 3/New Vegas from DVD, maybe that turns up something helpful?

It is not possible, because if i shut down Steam, or go to offline modus, the Installation shut down immediately. Apparently Steam is the only platform to install the game to harddisk.

It's useless.

If during the installation, steam starts and downloads additional stuff, then you can't do anything about it.

And if there is something it probably requires some shady things that could borderline into hacking the steam client, so it's probably something that can't be discussed here.

Hi,

thank you very much for your patience.

It is a bit hard to carry the processor via hands (dont have car) to my friend :(

I can download the whole 14 GB with my laptop, thats no problem. BUT how can i transfer from laptop to processor? is it possible?

Thanks very much

Steam has a function that allows you to make backups of installed games. I can't remember offhand what the function is called. But you could download the full game using Steam on your laptop, make a backup of it on your laptop, transfer the backup to your main PC, and then on the main PC use Steam's "restore backup up game" function to install from the backup.

I can only repeat to use google and search around a bit, e.g. I found this within 30s:

The Steam's Disk Installation Instructions Do not WORK!!! At least not for everyone.

If you tried to run C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe -install D: and it did not solve your problem. Here you go! Look no further!

Nobody wants to download the entire game when they payed for it and have it in hand! However for some reason, the disk installation automatically does this. I don't know why Steam does not fix this! It would put a lot less strain on their servers! What to DO: Activate Product with Steam... you probably already have. Right click on the game in steam and choose to delete local content. This will stop the download.

Now , LEAVE STEAM OPEN~! DO NOT EXIT!

Open the setup from the disk, choose install, it will open with the installation page where is shows the required/available space HERE IS WHERE YOU WILL KNOW IF IT WAS WORKED----> Bellow this it will have no mention of a download time! Or maybe it was that the install time was shorter, or it said "Files to install" instead of "Files to download" Sorry don't remember cause I went though it so many times before I found the right way!

Now install and you will see, for me it said 10 minutes remaining! OK after the install in steam you will notice it is downloading !!! WTF!!! No worries this is just updating. You can go into the game properties and mark "no auto update". That's it, sorry it's messy. But I want to play the game and I can imagine all the pissed off ppl out there right now so I'm posting ASAP! Let me know if this doesn't work and i'll try to help ya out.

From what I also found, it's probably best to first delete the game's local content through Steam.

Then try the bolded, underlined suggestion first, replace the directories with those of your Steam installation and DVD drive.

Other suggestions I found are to completely shut down Steam before starting the installation (might not work as it will likely just start up Steam again) and/or disconnect from the net.

Of course you will still need to download the day0 patch afterwards...

Edited by El Zoido

Hello, first of all sorry for bad english.

I'm experiencing trouble with game installation :

I've downloaded the game via steam and played something like 20 hours. Some ground textures where missing @aedelwan's bridge. So i checked game files & steam downloaded 900 mb. After that i wasn't able to play. must update the game...

This game was installed not in my steam folder but in another hard drive.

I tried to uninstalled the game via steam & download it again and the same error occured.  Steam sayin that i must update the game (but there's no update) Can't play at all via steam, but worked using the game exe in the downloading folder....

Guess i wont be able to download any patch.

I'm currently tryin to download the game in my steam folder...

Sys : win 7 64 sp1