Biggest Change in Combat from IE (Not Engagement)

First of all, love the game.

In infinity engine games (d&d rules) an attack was either a hit or a miss. In PoE an attack is either a hit or 50% damage. It basically works like this because crits and misses are outliers.

The effects of a system like this:

1. Engagement is very dangerous.

2. Magic. In d&d rules most magic attacks were either a hit or 50% damage because of a saving throw. That was their benefit over physical attacks. Now all attacks work that way. The usefullness of magic is lessened, and i'm not talking about time stop shenanigans.

3. Combat speed. Much more damage is being thrown around now. There is less time to utilize tactics. I'm not talking about slow or fast mode, there are simply less "rounds" involved and therefore less choices to make.

Suggestions.

I think a little more time in combat would improve this game. How about +10 deflection across the board? At least increase perception and resolve deflection bonuses to +2 instead of +1. Maybe then they won't be as useless, and allow for some alternate builds.

What are your thoughts?

P.S.

Clean up the language.

Bonuses like: |Of Will +5| sound like broken english

Item abilities like second chance, bash, ect... need tooltips

Using percentages and decimals interchangably.

Abilities that alter other abilities lead to strangely worded sentences. 

Countless other examples. It's a garbled mess. Hope to see some improvements in future patches

Thanks

• Like 1

Clean up the language.

I'd rather I be treated like an adult who can make my own ****ing choices about what language I find acceptable rather than have everything sanitized like a child's bedtime story, thank you very much.

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 4

Magic is AOE and have secondary effects AND u can also chose which type of spell u pick, thus allowing u more versability than simple range attacks.

IMO im happy they nerfed it from previous IE games, they were way, way, way too strong, and we all know it >.>'

Playing with defences globally can or cannot work, i cannot say, i trust in the best D&D game developers to do whats right :)

• Like 1

what_can_cb510.png

These concerns have been brought up elsewhere. The underlying issue is that combat is much "faster". My complaint about it is that this makes most (though certainly not all!) buffs useless due to opportunity cost. You have a point regarding magic and I was complaining about that too for a while, but after finding the right spells, it's not that much of a problem since magical attacks tend to be quite powerful (but again, only a few spells are like that). For example, if your level 1 Wizard repertoire is Slicken (for disabling), Fan of Flames (for pure damage) and Chill Fog (for a mix of the two which doesn't hit friendlies), you'll probably do OK. The other spells on that level... not so much.

I'd rather I be treated like an adult who can make my own ****ing choices about what language I find acceptable rather than have everything sanitized like a child's bedtime story, thank you very much.

I think the meaning in the OP is not that the language is unacceptable, but that it's non-standard English and therefore confusing. It's possible to understand "Of Will", but it's certainly awkward and it's not used anywhere else.

I think the meaning in the OP is not that the language is unacceptable, but that it's non-standard English and therefore confusing. It's possible to understand "Of Will", but it's certainly awkward and it's not used anywhere else.

Understandable, but I still don't get the problem really. That is a very common usage in RPG's in general--so much so that it's a trope all it's own. For a lot of people who play western RPG's it is an instantly recognizable standard format.

• Like 1

to be honest, I do not like the fact that there are magical attacks that can be "deflected", I understand that the dmg might be reduced if i is not raw, but I heavily dislike the fact that magic missile type spells can be deflected, the reflex, fort and will are ok, but the deflection checks need to go....

Clean up the language.

**** yes, ************.

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Clean up the language.

ADULT.gif

I know that's meant as a joke, but it's literally true. Part of being a grown-up is making your own choices and accepting the consequences. When people sanitize and censor media, not only does it cheapen and demean the work produced but it actually forces other peoples choices of what is and is not appropriate onto me. That's something that is okay to do to a 7 year old, but not to other adults.

On the other hand, nowhere in this thread did anyone talk about sanitising, censoring or anything like this.

The OP found the language used to describe item properties confusing and lacking in information, and that's what it's about.

And I would agree. (The "Of Will" is not their only example.)

I would also agree, in part, with the argument that combat needs a bit more time. I never used about half of Durance's spells, and some of those I did use were only because the situation was not critical and I felt like trying them out; the reason being that you obviously start with those that are really useful, and afterwards, he's usually employed healing people, or the fight is over.

In part, though, because I wouldn't like longer fights all around. It might be good idea to prolong some boss and middle-tier battles, but generally, it's good that the fight against your random ooze is over quite quickly.

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

On the other hand, nowhere in this thread did anyone talk about sanitising, censoring or anything like this.

The OP found the language used to describe item properties confusing and lacking in information, and that's what it's about.

And I would agree. (The "Of Will" is not their only example.)

And I discussed that and made my statement about it, then responded to somebody else talking about what I had said previously. This is called a "conversation" where I "respond to other people".

I don't care about swearing. The other commentors are correct. I was talking about the sloppy templating. Move past it. I'm sure the devs are fixing it, I was just mentioning it.

As far as solutions pertaining to the main topic.

I mentioned deflection. Another solution would be altering the miss/graze/hit/crit levels

It's 15/50/100/100+ as I understand it now.

Stealing a little from the hit chance might help

miss - 1-20

graze - 21-55

hit - 56-100

crit - 100+

Also, any thoughts on increasing the perception/resolve bonus to +2 deflection? I think people are starting to consider those two semi-dump stats.