Lack of voice acting and the solution.

The lack of voice acting could of been easily rectified with a simple in game recording feature.

Simple Basic In Game Recording Feature

1. You enable "recording" mode and this enables a button next to each of the npc's dialogue.

2. You click this recording button and it allows you to record your voice as you read the NPC's dialogue.

3. When you're finished it names the wav file to the same ID of the dialogue.

4. You click "share voice pack" and all of the voice files you create get uploaded to a voice pack repository organized by individual NPC.

5. Players can rank each voice pack to see which is the best for NPC's and then download the voice pack to their game.

Eventually every NPC in game gets high quality voice acting due to the nature of the ranking system.

Voice acting problem solved.

Edited by luzarius
  • Like 3

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Oh yes, please, this must happen immediately. Drop all the bugfixing and implement this at once.

I never said that the priority should be features before bug fixing.

The game just entered beta, I know this :)

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Oh yes, please, this must happen immediately. Drop all the bugfixing and implement this at once.

I never said that the priority should be features before bug fixing.

The game just entered beta, I know this :)

But think of all those NPCs going without voice acting! Personally, I'm going to voice all the pretty lady NPCs.

I actually am totally, 100% okay with having a game that is not completely Voice Acted.

EDIT: Misplaced "not"

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm actually glad the game has partial voice acting, it sets the mood and let's your imagination do the rest. Plus I read a lot faster than most voice acting so if there is too much with such a text heavy game then it gets tedious to wait for it all the time. I wouldn't mind seeing a more random comments from companions, what dialogue they have is good but traveling around they're a bit quiet imo.

I'll try to do mine as a vocal impersonation of Pat Buttram.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm actually glad the game has partial voice acting, it sets the mood and let's your imagination do the rest. Plus I read a lot faster than most voice acting so if there is too much with such a text heavy game then it gets tedious to wait for it all the time. I wouldn't mind seeing a more random comments from companions, what dialogue they have is good but traveling around they're a bit quiet imo.

I agree.  I thought Planescape: Torment had enough voice acting to give us a sense of who the companions were, without there being so much that it would take forever to sit through.  They've clearly followed this example in PoE, and I think they got the balance about right.

Of course, it IS April 1st, so it's possible that the suggestion was not a serious one.  But I've seen some pretty crazy things suggested seriously in other gaming forums, so my "That person MUST be kidding" filter is pretty much dead. :wacko: 

I've played mods in with fan-made voiceovers. They really are not very good at all usually, and more likely to break immersion. There's a reason why voice-acting is quite a niche profession.

I thought the Kelsey BG2 mod featured really good voice-acting. This, however, is a really ill-thought idea.

It would be great to eventually see some Kelsey-style mods for POE.

I've played mods in with fan-made voiceovers. They really are not very good at all usually, and more likely to break immersion. There's a reason why voice-acting is quite a niche profession.

I thought the Kelsey BG2 mod featured really good voice-acting. This, however, is a really ill-thought idea.

It would be great to eventually see some Kelsey-style mods for POE.

Yeah, I should have qualified my statement with *most* :p

• Like 1

I know this is a troll thread, but I wish this game had less VO.

Not joking. The writing is way better than most of the voice acting, and it's hard to read the stage direction stuff when the talking blasts past it.

I agree about the awkward mingling of stage directions and voice-acted dialogue. Perhaps it just that I've not figured out the ideal time to read the stage directions, but it seems pointless to position them at a point where the player is trying to listen to other text.

really want to hear all of your voices, trying to do good voice acting. Can't wait.

I remember, in my foolish younth, downloading a few quest mods for Oblivion that boasted full voice acting for all NPCs, made by fans, for fans!

The result was... less than inspiring.