Companions - who wrote what?

Yeah, it felt like Durance and Grieving Mother would've spawned from the same mind. They really feel pretty similar, in a good way. They're both enigmatic, their conversations are strange and confusing at times, and they're both pretty much damaged. Also, in my opinion at least, both their names would perfectly fit for PS:T characters, but that's just an aside.

And by the way, I love Edér. His voice acting is amazing and his character is just lovable.

P.S.: They're also in my standing party. Namely: Edér, Aloth, Durance, Pallegina and Grieving Mother.

Edited by wickermoon

Yay, my badge :3

- I found Durance to be insufferable and Grieving Mother thoroughly creeped me out (no, ma'am, if you admit in our first conversation that you will mind control me into saving babies whether I like it or not, I will not want to have you in my party). Which is to say I'm utterly pumped to get to know them better on a replay, but they very much seem like a liability to my cautious and diplomatic paladin.

- Sagani and Hiravias didn't even make it to my roster, they're pretty much perma-stranded at my stronghold. I'll use them on a replay.

- Pallegina seems somewhat bland, but at least we're almost always in agreement, and she's an utter combat monster, so she stays. Also, points for diversity.

- Aloth... I like Aloth. He feels like a real person and keeps interesting secrets. Not to mention that snooty elf wizards are always welcome, especially if they're fellow Aedyreans. I wonder if we'll do anything with his... allegiances down the line.

- I also like Edér. He's a chill dude. Glad to have him have my back.

- My personal favorite, however, is Kana Rua. He's such an adorable giant nerd. Who's also a shark person. With a gun. You can't really top that.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I'm only taking Edér, Aloth and Kana for my first run so that I can enjoy the others later.. loving all three, great job! Edér is a cool guy, I have a hard time imagining myself not picking him up in any of my future runs.

Durance is probably my favorite. Writing "crazy" to be interesting and not over the top. He still managed to feel like a real character... somehow, even with all the craziness going on.

Grieving Mother is also really interesting, though I really enjoyed the imagery mostly. The descriptive stuff and experiencing her memories. I found her actual dialogue (when she's speaking I mean) to be a little... overly dramatic and weird. But it's a very interesting take on a character.

Edér is a bro. Just down to earth, nice to have around and pretty funny.

Aloth is... well, I liked him but nothing really stood out I must admit. Somehow it just felt like he kinda melted into the background eventually. I can't believe it's the same voice actor who did Edér though, what a great job he did. Would've never been able to tell that if I hadn't read it.

Sagani was cool, I really enjoyed her quest. It was also cool to get an outside (not just the locals) "tribal" influence.

Kana Rua. Pretty fun to have around but nothing very special.

Pallegina seemed to me to be a really nice character but she also felt underveloped. A few of these characters... I just wanted *more* of them, and Pallegina is one of those.

Hiravias was funny, but not much more than that. His story didn't really have much of an impact on me.

A pretty enjoyable bunch, and it's always nice (and surprising) when there's no companion that I find flat out annoying. If a sequel is coming, I wish that the companions would feel a bit more "even" in their dialogues though. It feels like they vary quite a lot in how much meat there is to them, feels a bit uneven.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

- I found Durance to be insufferable and Grieving Mother thoroughly creeped me out (no, ma'am, if you admit in our first conversation that you will mind control me into saving babies whether I like it or not, I will not want to have you in my party). Which is to say I'm utterly pumped to get to know them better on a replay, but they very much seem like a liability to my cautious and diplomatic paladin.

You hate them for all the reasons I love them! Durance was perfectly flawed and one of the best clerics I've ever seen. I wish I could roleplay a cleric like him -- so staunchly devoted, so unwaiveringly committed, yet he's miserable in his conviction, questioning in his choices, mortified over the loss of his driving figure. And yet, he calls her a whore all the same, damning her as selfish and unforgiving. How great is that?

Grieving Mother was so phenomenally reclusive, so unforgivingly staunch, so motherly. She didn't want to be seen, didn't need to be recognized. She bestowed upon mothers -- demanded from them, unapologetically -- a love for their children, even if there was scorn. Her dialogues were also incredibly unique because of the vivid imagery matched with simultaneous ambiguity. And what a way to play with the theme of souls, the mind, and the main character's Watcher powers. 

That's not to say that I didn't love the rest of the cast. The abused Aloth and his unwanted savior. Eder's farmland charm and deadpan humor; his yearning for brotherhood and family despite how barren the landscape has become for him. Kana Rua's beaming geekiness and optimism.

I haven't played through every character's story yet, but so far I'm very satisfied with the impression I've gotten.

• Like 1

Grieving mother was a memorable experience to talk to, and flat out WEIRD wink.png

Grieving Mother is classic Planescape Torment narrative delivery. The first conversation you have with her isn't a conversation at all, but an ongoing.... description between 2 people. Sorta like when you first meet Vhailor with a 19+ wisdom TNO

But unfortunately, in my game, she suffers from the "I found you too late, so, maybe next playthrough I'll use you in my party" thing.

Edited by Stun

Huh.  I'm pretty shocked at the love for some of these characters.  Durance struck me as a vile one dimensional monster and little else, and Grieving Mother read like someone was just spamming a 4chan chat with snippets of a really bad book on dream interpretation that he just 'discovered' the first year of college.  The same snippets, over and over again, with really flat imagery.

Palleginia was terribly one dimensional.  Yep, discrimination is bad, and being a government servant means sometimes having to choose what is best for the government rather than your personal morals.  Deeply, profoundly obvious. 

Aloth... eh.  A twist that didn't even matter and a personal problem that after being told it wouldn't ever go away, he just... concentrated and it... went away.  wtf?

Hiravris is pretty strongly undermined by being forced to tag along with violating various ruins that aren't supposed to be violated.  He verbally wags a finger at you (I think, twice), but it is completely irrelevant.  And his personal quest was... weird.  He didn't even seem to care about it, which didn't exactly sell me on it.

Eder, Sagani and Kana stood out to me as real characters with a meaningful backstory that people might actually have.  Not just cardboard cutouts, dreadful repeats of past IE game concepts recycled again, or painfully sophomoric tripe.

But unfortunately, in my game, she suffers from the "I found you too late, so, maybe next playthrough I'll use you in my party" thing.

When I arrived at Gilded Vale, I picked up Eder and Aloth, but dropped Aloth after a couple of quests and went straight for Durance, Kana Rua, Hiravius and Grieving Mother. You can go through or around the edge of maps to unlock the next map while avoiding enemies which is what I did to pick them up. Then I went back to Gilded Vale and continued with my game. Durance and GM are my favourites.

I haven't met Grieving Mother yet; I'll look forward to that, since people seem to like her so much.

My Durance almost never says anything.  Given what he's prone to saying, that's a good thing...

I could listen to Pallegina talk all day; I just love her voice, or maybe her accent.

I really like both Eder and Aloth.  I keep wanting to get a miniature giant space hamster for Eder, since he likes animals so much.  ;)  And I really like Aloth and feel sorry for all he's been through and all he's still going through.  But then, if you look at my avatar, you'll see I have an affinity for men with dark hair and pointed ears. :lol:

I haven't ran much with Kana Rua, mainly because I just found I don't care much for chanters. However, that voice is *AWESOME*.

He also seems to be the companion with the most commentary as you run around.   Even if you don't want to have him in combat, just run around Defiance Bay with him while you accumulate quests. 

Great job, Eric Fenstermaker. Edér is easily my favorite companion. His lines are great, and I don't think I'll be able to complete the game solo, because I just need Edér with me at all times. Hahahah.

• Like 1

It's funny. As soon as I met Durance I thought "this is written by Chris Avellone" and the same thing when i met Grieving Mother. I loved both of them and they both broke my heart. They are both incredibly tender characters.

Eder I liked but I didn't really feel like I got past his surface. Even his story, which was quite sad, didn't really open up to what he was feeling. I thought it fit him quite well.

Aloth, was very useful but I thought he was quite daft and naive. The uncertainty of him being schizophrenic or having a split soul was really fun and well made. As a character with weak character, Aloth was spot on.

Kana Rua was great. He was like a giant child. Always in good spirits and if things were going bad he looked at the bright side. It was just great having him around, he gave comfort in a way.

I didn't play with the other companions so I will try to do so in my next play-throughs. I will probably still play this in ten years from now=)

I must say, that the philosophy of all characters have to be useful really worked. I would probably had kept Grieving Mother even if she had sucked but she was really useful to have in combat, which made her even better.

They all great - love Avellones work so really enjoying his, but my favourite are Eder and Sagani. In particualar Sagani is great, a strong female character who is not in the game just for the male pc's edification. She has a life and a family. Awesome stuff whoever wrote her.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

• Durance - Chris Avellone
  • Grieving Mother - Chris Avellone

Somehow I'm not surprised. I still have chills every time I speak with GM - I can't imagine playing the game without her in my party.

Can't you? Have you completed her quest? Because I found her approach somewhat offputting. :) I couldn't imagine playing without her because of Mind Blades and Blind though. :p

• Durance - Chris Avellone
  • Grieving Mother - Chris Avellone

Somehow I'm not surprised. I still have chills every time I speak with GM - I can't imagine playing the game without her in my party.

Can't you? Have you completed her quest? Because I found her approach somewhat offputting. :) I couldn't imagine playing without her because of Mind Blades and Blind though. :p

I have not yet completed the quest, however I do not shy away from disturbing stuff. I actually prefer it over cookie-cutter "all is good" resolutions. So far I loved everything involving her. Me liking mystery stories, illusions and mind-affecting magic has something to do with it I guess :)

• Like 1

I almost finish the game, and so far I must admit that Durance and Grieving Mother are very interesting (even if i drop Durance since he anoys me a lot, and it's another proof of the great writting of Mr Avellone).

But my favorites are Eder and Sagani. Eder is, like Sylvanpixie sayed, adorable, he's a heart on foot. Sagani is pretty the same as him (that's why I think they are linked by a dialog on Itumak fur :p), she is sturdy, yet a mother at heart with a very warm vibe (sorry don't really know how to put my feelings in words, I'm no writter :p).

Hiravias is... fun, even with is burden (and I think is like this because of his burden).

Kana is the typical naive researcher, he is good but he make me lost my nerves some times.

As for the two last, they are bland IMO.

I have a big regret about companions though... Why they are almost all men ?! Give us more women ! :p

I get the feeling that Durance is perfectly ready and prepared to murder me in my sleep if it seems like it's necessary.

And I think that's wonderful. I personally do not get that vibe from him, but that's probably because I don't really argue with him. He's pretty much said that he'll set me on fire if I start going nutty, though. And I respect that. It's good to know that someone will stop me if I'm slipping. :lol:

I haven't ran much with Kana Rua, mainly because I just found I don't care much for chanters. However, that voice is *AWESOME*.

He also seems to be the companion with the most commentary as you run around.   Even if you don't want to have him in combat, just run around Defiance Bay with him while you accumulate quests.

This is true but it's also something I find mildly annoying.

• You can ask Kana Rua if he knows anything about the place you're in.
  • You can ask Aloth what he thinks you should do next.
  • You can ask Hiravias about his opinion on the other members of the group (lol @Grieving Mother).

And honestly... you should be able to ask anyone all these questions. I want Edèr's input on where we are. I want to ask Grieving Mother what she thinks of the people of the group. I want to ask Durance what we should do next. These are pretty generic questions that should not be restricted so arbitrarily by companion.

• Like 3

t50aJUd.jpg

I want Edèr's input on where we are.

Lolwhy

Just doesn't seem like his specialty.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?