Companions - who wrote what?

- I found Durance to be insufferable and Grieving Mother thoroughly creeped me out (no, ma'am, if you admit in our first conversation that you will mind control me into saving babies whether I like it or not, I will not want to have you in my party). Which is to say I'm utterly pumped to get to know them better on a replay, but they very much seem like a liability to my cautious and diplomatic paladin.

You hate them for all the reasons I love them!

I don't hate them, I just see no reason for my character to want to travel with them. Even though there is a certain charm in the "He's a silver-tongued diplomat who can see ghosts! He's a foul-mouthed, omnicidal hobo with fire powers! Together, they fight crime!" setup.

• Like 3

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I want Edèr's input on where we are.

Lolwhy

Just doesn't seem like his specialty.

So? Like Katarack said, at least Edér's a native, while Kana are mostly talking about place's he's read about or just has a general knowledge of. Edér's input would be different from Kana's in that it's not theoretical, but practical, and very subjective, rather than tentatively objective. Edér's input could range from "This district in Defiance Bay is ****" to "There were lot's of fighting going on here", or anything like that.

Why would it be Hiravias' speciality to give input on characters? Why would it be Aloth's speciality to give input on what we should do? Surely Durance would be an excellent candidate for saying "Kill everything." or anything to that effect.

Who's good at what doesn't matter. The point was that I want their input, even if it's terrible. Even if they say "I have no clue". I want Sagani to be able to tell me that, hey, there's lots of deer in this wildnerness region, or whatever. It doesn't matter, it's just thematic, the same reason any of the current CNPC:s have their specific input right now.

t50aJUd.jpg

Me: What do you think about this place?

Sagani: I'm from the polar south, the **** do I know about Dyrwood?

Me: Okay, then.

Watcher: What do you think about this place?

Eder: It's green.

• Like 9

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I like that they're not all 21 or something.

I think I'm one of the few who doesn't like Durance. Don't hate him, just don't care for him. Not my kind of "personality". He's written ok, what I've seen...certainly gives me a reaction, so no complaint there. But the more I "talk" to him, the more I find his attitude to be something that feels like sand in my shorts.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Figures Grieving Mother is Avellone, rather enjoyed her.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's no surprise that Grieving Mother and Durance are on a level on their own.  I'm really hoping Chris Avellone gets to be the lead in another project again someday.  I'm still a a bit dissapointed that there are only 8 companions, but nevertheless, I enjoyed all the companions and I really hope they'll be more day (maybe in the expansion?)

Edited by bonarbill

Poor Olivia, no one likes Kana Rua lol

My personal distaste for him comes from how unbelievable as a character he is. First off he's from a Race known to be big and strong, while he on the other hand is intellectual and idealistic. I would've preferred partying with an Aumaua that was more stereotypical for their culture seeing as we weren't introduced very much to Aumua culture as it is. Like Hiravias for example. is a great character to introduce players to Orlan culture.

I understand the reasoning of making him a Chanter so he could recite and educate us on lore from Rauatai but he just seems so out of place and random. I think if he was a stereotypical stoic Barbarian Aumaua he could've still educated the players on Rautau while not being so... obvious about it. (Like you slowly learn more lore as you party with him, instead of him forcing lore down your throat as soon as you meet him)

My favorites on the other hand are Grieving Mother, Eder, Hiravias and Sagani.  

Dura gets annoying fast with his preaching to the point when he made the quip in the brothel about finding a place to put his other staff, even though it was a funny comment I disliked him too much to care lol.

Aloth while interesting seems like he should've been utilized more. He barely says much as the journey goes on even though he's afflicted with the dual personalities. He's so quiet most of the time it seems like he has no personality instead of 2 of them.

Edited by Nokturnal Lex

I totally do. Dropped him from my party only occasionally to take Aloth for a side quest stroll so as not to make him feel abandoned. D:

He actually me think that chanting was very important to their culture, to the extent that an ancient text could sway his entire nation in a different direction. They did have their fair share of scholarly debates, so he's not at all unbelievable.

• Like 4

I've been asked who wrote which companions a number of times recently. I'd held off answering because there was a chance that it was going to tie into some of our PR around launch time, but I believe that is no longer the case. So for those curious:

• Aloth - Carrie Patel
  • Durance - Chris Avellone
  • Edér - me
  • Grieving Mother - Chris Avellone
  • Hiravias - Matt MacLean
  • Kana Rua - Olivia Veras
  • Pallegina - Josh Sawyer
  • Sagani - Carrie Patel

Aloth: over all OKish. A bit more "contact" with his girlfriend inside had been nice :). I remember just one short sequenz where his girly was noteble.

Edér: was nice to talk with him. But the end was disapointing. I wish I had the option to let him talk with his brother.

Durance: good he pissed me off *grrrr*. He should visit some Cipher in Ondra's Gift! Soziophat ...

Griefing Mother: realy hard to understand some of here talk if you aren't native english. I had big problems with the dialog "what had you seen, where was I". I finished it by trail&error after reading the text 20 times :(.

To much "you see this, you see that".

Hiravias: OKish story. Fall a bit short after the fight with his blood-brother.

Kana Rua: To many unimportant sequenzes after you finished his quest. Would have been much cooler if he had reacted with every new found relict. Like "UUUUHHHH, let me see, this runes. Did YOU know ... bla bla anientcs ... bla bla" :).

He could be a fantastic craft-recipt finder :(.

Palleganie: don't know. I played a Paladin as my main.

Sagani: cool girl, was fun to do her quest. Except the end ... which was just disapointing. I expected something like this. But not, that she suddenly gave up more or less. A sequenze between the Watcher, her and her victim had been realy cool.

Edited by Schakar

My personal distaste for him comes from how unbelievable as a character he is. First off he's from a Race known to be big and strong, while he on the other hand is intellectual and idealistic. I would've preferred partying with an Aumaua that was more stereotypical for their culture seeing as we weren't introduced very much to Aumua culture as it is. Like Hiravias for example. is a great character to introduce players to Orlan culture.

I understand the reasoning of making him a Chanter so he could recite and educate us on lore from Rauatai but he just seems so out of place and random. I think if he was a stereotypical stoic Barbarian Aumaua he could've still educated the players on Rautau while not being so... obvious about it. (Like you slowly learn more lore as you party with him, instead of him forcing lore down your throat as soon as you meet him)

My favorites on the other hand are Grieving Mother, Eder, Hiravias and Sagani.  

Dura gets annoying fast with his preaching to the point when he made the quip in the brothel about finding a place to put his other staff, even though it was a funny comment I disliked him too much to care lol.

Aloth while interesting seems like he should've been utilized more. He barely says much as the journey goes on even though he's afflicted with the dual personalities. He's so quiet most of the time it seems like he has no personality instead of 2 of them.

For aloth's quest, the "a spirit controling my body" thing, comes from a classic 80's comedy movie called All of Me

He, Eder, Sagani and Kana are my favorites

All I can say is that I am positively surprised by the interesting characters in the game. I first was a little bit disappointed when Forton and Cadegund got removed from the roster. But the replacements (Grieving Mother and Durance) were totally worth it.

My initial first-playthrough party had Eder, Durance, GM and Aloth. From that cast, only Aloth felt somewhat lacking (Somehow, he didn't have much dialogue, despite being the first character you meet in the game?) On my second playthrough, I will concentrate on the other characters to check them out.

As everyone seems to like Sagani, I'm especially curious about her story. I'll probably take Eder again since there's another open slot and he seems to banter quite a lot with her.

So far I've played with Aloth, Eder, Durance, and Kana.

Aloth was alright. I think he would have benefited from a lot more interaction with his alter-ego. As it is, he felt like the most boring member of my party, since he didn't have much personality of his own. I also didn't really notice a change after I got him to accept his alter-ego.

Eder was great. He struck a really good balance between troubled and upbeat, pessimistic without being whiny, charming without being sycophantic. His story was particularly poignant.

Durance was incredible. Wild ride from start to finish. My only regret is that I couldn't finish his quest. For some reason I never could get him to finish talking to me.

Kana felt like a pretty shallow character, but I thoroughly enjoyed him. I liked how involved he seemed to be, in everything you do. He had by far the most "comment on the scenery" lines of anyone in my party, and his upbeat almost childlike attitude was very refreshing.

I feel like I have to mention the voice actors, too.

Eder's was ****ing perfect. Absolutely nailed the easygoing country boy persona.

Durance had moments of astonishing brilliance, but sometimes fell flat.

Kana was great. So much of that character rode on the voice actor selling the sincerity, and he did.

Aloth was hit or miss. Again, he felt like the character with the least personality, but I think the voiceactor pulled off his anxiety well.

Edited by dirigible

I liked Aloth but yeah, I think he just needed... more stuff really. He feels a bit undercooked compared to the other companions.

The more I think about the companions, the more I actually appreciate Sagani. She's excellent, really enjoyed the story of her quest.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I've been asked who wrote which companions a number of times recently. I'd held off answering because there was a chance that it was going to tie into some of our PR around launch time, but I believe that is no longer the case. So for those curious:

• Aloth - Carrie Patel
  • Durance - Chris Avellone
  • Edér - me
  • Grieving Mother - Chris Avellone
  • Hiravias - Matt MacLean
  • Kana Rua - Olivia Veras
  • Pallegina - Josh Sawyer
  • Sagani - Carrie Patel

Good info! Do you know who wrote the "songbirds" quest? That was some funny ****.

- How can I live my life if I can't even tell good from evil?

- Eh, they're both fine choices. Whatever floats your boat. 

Did Eric or Carrie write the "flavor" exchanges between Eder and Aloth as you march around/progress? Because they are hilarious. Also, if you pick certain dialogue options in Aloth's Defiance quest, Eder's comments made me laugh enough that I had to reload to play it again.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Did Eric or Carrie write the "flavor" exchanges between Eder and Aloth as you march around/progress? Because they are hilarious. Also, if you pick certain dialogue options in Aloth's Defiance quest, Eder's comments made me laugh enough that I had to reload to play it again.

All of the companion comments on Aloth's plight in Sanitarium made me laugh so hard. Everyone was sooooo "sympathethic"... you can literally feel the love.  :grin: