bug: character stat rounding errors

curi

Question

i noticed some of my characters have 1 higher deflection than they should. i don't know a pattern or causes or anything and i didn't carefully check all the stats. i think there's just some kinda rounding errors going on that make an off-by-1 issue sometimes. some math issue. i know this can happen at level 2, very early in the game, not just after playing a ton. i noticed it with all my ranged classes but not my tanks.

another error i noticed: my characters health and endurance aren't exact multiples like i think they should be. for example my mage has 56 endurance and 166 health, whereas i expected 168 health (3 times my endurance).

what's going on is:

my character has 70 base endurance and 210 base health. then loses 21% from having 3 con. if you do the math separately you get 55.3 and 165.9. both were rounded up.

what i believe you should do is calculate endurance, then set health to 3x endurance (or whatever the exact multiplier is for that class). the separate rounding gets health and endurance out of sync.

Edited by curi
  • Like 1

6 answers to this question

wait i totally forgot. i do know what causes deflection rounding errors: negative resolve or perception deflection modifiers. i figured it out yesterday and forgot! lol

for example my mage right now is level 5. should have 10 + 3*4 = 22 deflection, before stats. then i have +6 from perception and -7 from resolve. so i should have 21 deflection.

i have 22 deflection.

i think the way it works is all my characters with negative deflection stats got 1 extra deflection somehow.

like take my priest. who i just had leave and rejoin the party to reset stat calculation issues (2 chars had extra health, so i had everyone rejoin which fixed it and maybe some other issues i hadn't noticed).

so this priest is level 4. should have 15 + 9 = 24 deflection. plus stats. and i have +5 from perception and -7 from resolve. so it should be 22. but it's 23.

so there you go, issue figured out. a negative bonus from resolve and/or perception can cause an off-by-1 error with your deflection. (this is going by the deflection displayed on the character screen, i didn't compare to the actual numbers used in combat)

Edited by curi
  • Like 1

this off-by-1 bug applies to other stats besides deflection.

i just made a level 4 test mage from the tavern. my understanding is you get 20 base will/fort/ref and 3 per level. so will should be 29 at level 4. plus stat modifiers. and i got +4 from 12 resolve, and -14 from 3 int. so it should be 19 will. but the character screen shows i have 20 will.

hi gwydeon79, these are both separate issues from the other one you're talking about.

so to summarize what i figured out:

there is an off-by-1 issue with negative deflection/will/reflex/fortitude from stats, and an issue with endurance and health being calculated and rounded separately so health is not the clean multiple of endurance you'd expect. it's not a repeat bug.

edit: i checked a few other cases. the +1 defense bug seems to only happen if ur 2 stats affecting it give u a negative modifier overall. if u have a 2 positive bonuses, or a positive and a smaller negative, it comes out right.

Edited by curi
  • Like 1