bug report: chanter chant aoe size and 1.2x size neck

curi

Question

there are bugs with the radius for chanting aoe.

if you take the 1.2x chant area neck and put it on a 9 int chanter, you get a VERY TINY increase. should get like a 15% increase over the base size, but it's more like 5% maybe (i think less in terms of radius, but i was wondering if it worked by area??)

if you then put on a +1 int item to get up to 10 int, adding 6% aoe, u get a bigger increase than when u put on the 1.2x multiplier item in the first place.

another thing that's confusing is the 2 different radius circles. it seems to be the inner circle is the minimum chant radius which you get even if you have 3 int. and the outer lighter circle shows any increase in radius from buffs. this is kinda strange and contrasts with the concept of doing damage aoes where the inner circle hits friends and foes, and the out circle only hits foes. (but you see the double circle thing with heals too, not just chants. why? beats me. confusing. actually i have a guess as to why: for spells like fireball, the part of the aoe that only hits foes and not friends IS the radius buff from int, as a way to make int radius increase have no downside! but then this was coded to show up that way universally even with stuff where the difference between base and extra radius doesn't matter. that actually makes sense to me.)

i tried other ints like 3 and 18 with the neck. what i think is going on with 3 int is your radius is really small but there is a min cap, so then buffing your radius still leaves you under the min cap, so there's no effect. with 18 int putting on the 1.2x neck gives a nice radius boost, it's useful, but it doesn't look at all like 20%.

tl;dr the chanter 1.2x voice of the mountaintop neck totally doesn't work and doesn't add the right amount. try it on chanters with 9 and 10 int and look at how much the circle gets bigger and it doesn't make sense. and it never looks like 20% more radius.

3 answers to this question

well i figured out part of this: i think there is no minimum aoe and int penalties really do lower your chant radius. just the UI doesn't show radius penalties due to the 2 circle system, so if your real radius is smaller than the base, you can't see it because the circle for the base radius covers it up.

that's why if you take a 9 int chanter and add that neck, you get a very tiny bonus radius. because it was increasing from the actual less-than-base starting point.

so there's no real bug here (with chants – there is a UI bug with radius circles, which i made a separate topic about) except for the part where the radius bonuses don't look at all like the claimed 20% (they looked a lot smaller). 20% more radius would be HUGE!!  (if this is fixed, the item should probably be rebalanced to be 10% more chant radius) or explain to me what thing is being multiplied by 1.2, cuz it sure doesn't look like radius is getting that big an increase.

based on how it looks, the necklace seems to give around an 8% aoe bonus. i'm judging this as: slightly more than a point of int gives. definitely less than 2 points of int give.

Edited by curi
  • Like 1

yup, even with 20 int, the bonus this gives is very slight.

basically, aoe for a chanter, being centered around himself for the most part, really should be larger, or at least more heavily influenced by somethng like this item.

frankly, don't think it would be overpowered if it was set to 1.5 instead of 1.2.

yup, even with 20 int, the bonus this gives is very slight.

basically, aoe for a chanter, being centered around himself for the most part, really should be larger, or at least more heavily influenced by somethng like this item.

frankly, don't think it would be overpowered if it was set to 1.5 instead of 1.2.

well, the important thing is to figure out what is being multiplied by 1.2 or if it's just not using the number in the tooltip at all. you can't really compare 1.2 with 1.5 without knowing 1.2x or 1.5x OF WHAT? the item seems to be bugged, not a balance issue.

my guess is it should give 20% more of the BASE (10 int) radius, but currently gives less than that due to a bug.