I find myself doing the same thing in every fight, if there was a tactics system I could eliminate this redundancy and focus more on the battle in real time.

First inquisition and now this game, rpg games are dying. In Dragon Age Origins I could set up my tactics and eliminate redundancy. How the hell is this game getting such high reviews without a tactics system?

Edited by luzarius
  • Like 2

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

First inquisition and now this game, rpg games are dying.

Guys, guys, the next generation of players has its own grognards now!

All of the squees, guys.

All of the squees.

• Like 11

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

All of the squees, guys.

All of the squees.

Setting up good tactics requires skill and knowledge, it's not an easy thing to do.  You need to completely understand the combat before you attempt to apply any type of tactics.

I don't want the game to play itself, I want to setup my tactics and have my companions follow my orders during real time combat. It's the equivalent of planning a battle BEFORE going into battle, it's called strategy and planning.

If I wanted to do everything manually, I'd go play starcraft 2 and spam the worker creation button every god damn 18 seconds.

Edited by luzarius

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

All of the squees, guys.

All of the squees.

Setting up good tactics requires skill and knowledge, it's not an easy thing to do.  You need to completely understand the combat before you attempt to apply any type of tactics.

I don't want the game to play itself, I want to setup my tactics and have my companions follow my orders during real time combat. It's the equivalent of planning a battle BEFORE going into battle, it's called strategy and planning.

If I wanted to do everything manually, I'd go play starcraft 2 and spam the worker creation button every god damn 18 seconds.

So, you don't understand the combat?

Or you just don't have the skill and knowledge to do so yet?

• Like 1

All of the squees, guys.

All of the squees.

So, you don't understand the combat?

Or you just don't have the skill and knowledge to do so yet?

just ignore him, he is complaining the whole time about this game, and instead of realising, that it just isn't his type of game, he wants to change the game, to be his type of game.

he is just a dragon age casual, and has never player something like neverwinter nights or baldurs gate...

• Like 1

Is this supposed to be trolling as if not, I kind of agree with mahe4 and the other guys here.

I can't really see any need to have such a system in a game like this? It wouldn't work nicely with the flow and design of pillars combat and structure/any of the older games similar to this. For example you could set Durance to heal ppl who are below 25% health, then he uses it right when the battle is about to be over. Boom you've just lost a spell for your next encounter.

Greater tactics comes from being able to think on your feet with a full understanding of the combat/spells/abilities/creatures in this game.

• Like 2

First inquisition and now this game, rpg games are dying

He says about Pillars, which has a 90% on Metacritic, a 92% rating (and is currently the #4 selling game) on Steam, and has earned millions of dollars in less than a week; and DA: Inquisition, with an 85% on Metacritic and which EA says was BioWare's most successful launch in history in terms of sales figures.

How tragic.

• Like 1

You can't have tactics like in DAO and DAII. Here abilities and spells are not unlimited and with a simple cooldown timer.

As joe_ollie said, if a spell/ability gets used at the end of the combat because the conditions are met, you've just wasted it.

• Like 1

There's no Dragon Age-esque tactics system that would be worth a damn in PoE. How are you going to tell the tactics system to have your mage cast spell X at Y coordinates (which will be different in every fight, BTW, depending on part orientation and where the monsters are coming from and what kind of opponents they are), but only if there are Z number of enemies who represent a significant enough threat to justify expending one of those precious per-rest spell slots? Impossible.

The tactics system wasn't even very good in DA, and that's a much, much more simplistic game. First thing I always do is turn off the idiotic AI, because it's idiotic.

• Like 1

I find myself doing the same thing in every fight, if there was a tactics system I could eliminate this redundancy and focus more on the battle in real time.

First inquisition and now this game, rpg games are dying. In Dragon Age Origins I could set up my tactics and eliminate redundancy. How the hell is this game getting such high reviews without a tactics system?

you are obviously playing on too easy a setting. try upping the difficulty, on path of the dammed pretty much every fight plays out differently because you have to optimise every fight, if you can get away with just spamming the same things then either you are playing too easy or your set up is OP :p- what is your set up?

Edited by Ceranai

he is just a dragon age casual,

... and then my generation's grognards arrived! It's like a convention!

Oh my god do a Jets/Sharks thing.

"When you're a HARDCORE PC GAMER you're a HARDCORE PC GAMER all the way / From the day you first spawn to your last dying day~"

• Like 2

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Please implement it and do it fast. There is no reason I should have to activate 2-3 passive "per encounter" skills every single time when a fight starts. It has nothing to do with gameplay, but with convenience. Some skills are just not situational, so there is no reason not to be able to have them activate automatically. 

Apart from that, a decent customizable combat AI would open up a lot of content/play time, since it is a mini game in its own right. I honestly don't see how this is "not in line with PoE's gameplay" at all. Baldurs Gate and DA:O both had it and it worked just fine. Yes those are different games, but not fundamentally.  Also, it would be inherently optional, so it doesn't affect those who don't wat to use it. 

It's a no-brainer, really.

RPG's are not dying

Seriously. Just stop. 

Aside from the fact that DA (any DA) are completely different games from this game, RPGs are hardly going anywhere. Reading people on this forum leaves the impression that everyone here is either alternate measures of Chicken Little sans falling sky, or actually being a ragey, headless chicken. 

If you want something different, please, go start your own kickstarter and make your own damn game. Barring that, take games for what they are and the limitations they provide. No game is ever fully going to fully live up to your standards. 

DA: Origins tactics system actually sucked without using a player-created mod that extended the commands.

But, to answer your question, I'm sure something like a tactics system was considered, but it would take development time that was better spent tracking down bugs (I jest).  I think the decision came from the fact that most players turned off the companion AI in Infinity Engine games.

Still. Those are not passive abilities.

They are on use abilities.

So, use them.

Yes, manually.

I am, but it sucks. Hence the suggestion.

RPG's are not dying

Seriously. Just stop. 

Aside from the fact that DA (any DA) are completely different games from this game, RPGs are hardly going anywhere. Reading people on this forum leaves the impression that everyone here is either alternate measures of Chicken Little sans falling sky, or actually being a ragey, headless chicken. 

If you want something different, please, go start your own kickstarter and make your own damn game. Barring that, take games for what they are and the limitations they provide. No game is ever fully going to fully live up to your standards. 

No, I won't stop, thank you very much. 

People are providing feedback for this game, positive and negative. If some people think that a certain feature would improve the game's overall quality then they will make a suggestion. It is at the discretion of the developing team to decide whether or not this feature is worth implementing or not. 

PoE is a singleplayer game, there is no competition and everybody should be able to enjoy this game in their own right. Adding an optional feature will not turn the game into something different, but provide more options for those who want to use them. Why do you think people are using mods for this game as early as one week after launch? Because there are flaws and oversights which can be easily corrected.

Being a claqueur does not help improving the game, making suggestions does. 

Don't try to dictate how we, as customers, should voice our opinion.

Edited by Molcho

Still. Those are not passive abilities.

They are on use abilities.

So, use them.

Yes, manually.

I am, but it sucks. Hence the suggestion.

RPG's are not dying

Seriously. Just stop. 

No, I won't stop, thank you very much. 

People are providing feedback for this game, positive and negative. If some people think that a certain feature would improve the game's overall quality then they will make a suggestion. It is at the discretion of the developing team to decide whether or not this feature is worth implementing or not. 

PoE is a singleplayer game, there is no competition and everybody should be able to enjoy this game in their own right. Adding an optional feature will not turn the game into something different, but provide more options for those who want to use them. Why do you think people are using mods for this game as early as one week after launch? Because there are flaws and oversights which can be easily corrected.

Being a claqueur does not help improving the game, making suggestions does. 

Don't try to dictate how we, as customers, should voice our opinion.

exactly, and we are against it!

why?

1) because we don't care

2) because we don't need it

3) because it takes a considerable amount of development time to implement, which would be taken from other things

he is just a dragon age casual,

... and then my generation's grognards arrived! It's like a convention!

Oh my god do a Jets/Sharks thing.

"When you're a HARDCORE PC GAMER you're a HARDCORE PC GAMER all the way / From the day you first spawn to your last dying day~"

don't get me wrong, i loved origins.

it had one of the greatest stories i ever played.

but the mechanics part was mediocre at best.

(at least that prevented me from restarting a 100 times, to minmax my character :p )