Has anyone tried this, or something similar? 

I put my starting stats all at 15, except Int which is down to 3.

Plan to focus on the passive abilities, though Rooting Pain's range will be squished down. 

I have done the same it depends how you build it

you can level up your monk so that they have no duration skills and no aoe skills, if you dump points in res you make up the lack of will. Its actually a really powerful build i see a nerf incoming tbh.

PS-

18 might, 19 con, 10 dex, 9 per, 4 int, 18 res, moon godlike is what im running with no weapons and the heaviest armour i could find.

Edited by Ceranai

PS-

18 might, 19 con, 10 dex, 9 per, 4 int, 18 res, moon godlike is what im running with no weapons and the heaviest armour i could find.

How useful (or not) is action speed for Monk?

action speed is useful for any party member who wants to deal damage with weapons.

attacking more often is good.

especially if you dual wield, which unarmed from monk is, as far as i know.

besides, don't take monk, for a monk to work properly, you have to send him on a suicide mission.

what i mean is, for a monk to use his abilites (besides one or two) he needs wounds.

and he gets wounds by getting hurt.

so for him to use his abilities, you have to let him getting hit.

if you micromanage it well, it can work out, but i recommend to dump the deflection stats (perception and resolve), so that you get hit easier.

and then try to only get engaged by one enemy.

and have a good healer by your side, because a monk will need it.

the current monk is as counter intuitive as it gets, and is pretty bad designed for now.

PS-

Depends, most of my damage is coming from my abilities, i can only cast abilities as long as i have wounds and i gain wounds slowly relative to all other cooldowns so its really not that important. In fact if i was to reroll (cba now) I would dump dexterity and put it in per. to be tankier, reading about wounds its calculated post DR reduction but before things like deflection are taken into account. So to truly min max i would say given your dps is most limited by the your wound rate. 

Probably not worth it though given the extra dps from autoattacls. its a bit of a trade off tankyness for dps but  think you would gain more tankyness than you lose dps. Not worth fussing over

PS-

action speed is useful for any party member who wants to deal damage with weapons.

besides, don't take monk, for a monk to work properly, you have to send him on a suicide mission.

what i mean is, for a monk to use his abilites (besides one or two) he needs wounds.

if you micromanage it well, it can work out, but i recommend to dump the deflection stats (perception and resolve), so that you get hit easier.

the current monk is as counter intuitive as it gets, and is pretty bad designed for now.

This is all wrong. You are talking about one very specfic way of playing monk, ie as a glass cannon, ive found he works far better as a tank as you have much more time to unload your wounds back on your enemies.

Monks have the health pool of a tank. I think that the suggested build for monks is all wrong, they make terrifying tanks, damage on par with an rogue out of stealth lots of cc and tanky. This is my build :) I cleared the entire of valewood at level two except the bear cave and even then I got it down to half health before it killed me.

2uiw3tu.jpg

And this is what im wearing

307x9pf.jpg

Most fights I just fight barefisted. I havnt tried fighting with by shield yet.

Edited by Ceranai
  • Like 1

if you have dot attacks, lowering int increase there damage....dot damage like burning over time is total damge / time on target....lower time on target, higher damage per second.

Yea but you can just avoid taking spells like that :p

And yea as pointed out below im pretty sure the dmg per tick is fixed, and intel just modifies how many ticks before it wears off, othwise dumping intel to 3 would be way more popular.

Edited by Ceranai

if you have dot attacks, lowering int increase there damage....dot damage like burning over time is total damge / time on target....lower time on target, higher damage per second.

I dont think this is true. The way I see it, if your Int is 10 and a skill does 10 damage over 10s,  with lower Int, your time will be shorter and the damage smaller, lets say 5 damage in 5s. 

Edited by Parsalian

PS-

This is all wrong. You are talking about one very specfic way of playing monk, ie as a glass cannon, ive found he works far better as a tank as you have much more time to unload your wounds back on your enemies.

Monks have the health pool of a tank. I think that the suggested build for monks is all wrong, they make terrifying tanks, damage on par with an rogue out of stealth lots of cc and tanky. This is my build :) I cleared the entire of valewood at level two except the bear cave and even then I got it down to half health before it killed me.

2uiw3tu.jpg

And this is what im wearing

307x9pf.jpg

Most fights I just fight barefisted. I havnt tried fighting with by shield yet.

he has the health pool of a tank, but your character doesn't have the mitigation/avoidance of a tank.

you let yourself get hit far more often than a fighter or paladin tank, and therefore take more damage.

yeah of course it works, it's like the barbarian tank build that was on here just now, but there are just better tanks.

if wounds would work as they were supposed to, then your build would shine like the sun!

wounds were supposed to to take part of your damage you take, and convert it in a dot.

and if you use your wound fast enough, you would take all the damage.

but it doesn't work that way, so there are better options.

Edited by mahe4

Just some proff that this build is epic this is me soloing the bear cave at level 3 :) i even missed my first few attacks, using a combination of force of anguish to knock the big bear on its ass and usingtorments reach as my main dps source.

bjal39.jpg

Im now trying out another set up, with 3 decterity normal intellect and maxed per to see how it plays

Edited by Ceranai

Monk tanks are pretty sick, yes. I have no idea why you wouldn't go sword-and-board with one, though.

I may try switching between the two, ive just found that the damage from 2 fists is insane, at least until i have access to more powerful equipment. 

Monk tanks are pretty sick, yes. I have no idea why you wouldn't go sword-and-board with one, though.

I may try switching between the two, ive just found that the damage from 2 fists is insane, at least until i have access to more powerful equipment. 

That's more a draw of your high might, tbh. Dual wield really doesn't work well with the stupid-high recovery penalty from heavy armor, and fists don't really scale well.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Plan to focus on the passive abilities, though Rooting Pain's range will be squished down. 

I don't think this is a problem, but you probably want to steer away from AoE abiliities and focus on single-target stuff.  Definitely don't take Rooting Pain...the area is tiny and with a 3 Int you might not be hitting anyone with it.

I don't think this is a problem, but you probably want to steer away from AoE abiliities and focus on single-target stuff.  Definitely don't take Rooting Pain...the area is tiny and with a 3 Int you might not be hitting anyone with it.

surely it will still hit people adjacent to you???

surely it will still hit people adjacent to you???

Here's my monk in mutual engagement with an enemy.

Rooting_Pain_Radius.jpg

Rooting Pain has a base radius of 1.25 meters.  In the screenshot I have a priest targeting Divine Terror centered on her; that spell has a base radius of 1.25 meters, so the red circle shows the area that Rooting Pain will affect when it triggers (if the Monk has a 10 Int).  A 3 Int will give you -42% Area of Effect, so the radius of the circle of your Rooting Pain will be just over half the radius of the one in that image.  I can't be sure without actually testing it, but it looks to me like my opponent would be just barely outside of that smaller radius.

• Like 1

That's more a draw of your high might, tbh. Dual wield really doesn't work well with the stupid-high recovery penalty from heavy armor, and fists don't really scale well.

well atm i think im a bit too squishy so i might just get a big shield to hide behind

I think the only class that can truly fight forever solo is the fighter, but they are kinda boring imo

Rooting Pain should only be used for tanky monks who are going to be surrounded by enemies. Otherwise, it doesn't have enough range to function very well.

3 intelligence on a monk could technically work, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Torment's Reach and Force of Anguish are so useful and Rooting Pain is quite nice when tanking. I feel like you're gimping a lot of the abilities that make a monk unique by getting rid of intelligence. Whatever the case, if you're going to stick to your guns, you're going to want to get Swift Strikes and Turning Wheel, along with Duality of Mortal Presence.

Otherwise, if you want to tank, try looking something like this on an Orlan or a Moon Godlike with less PER/RES:

MIG: 10
CON: 14
DEX: 9
PER: 18
INT: 9
RES: 18

If you're looking to DPS, take a race with a bonus to either dexterity or might and max both of them while dipping into constitution. You can leave the rest at 9's and 10's.
Edited by Lasci

Rooting Pain should only be used for tanky monks who are going to be surrounded by enemies. Otherwise, it doesn't have enough range to function very well.

3 intelligence on a monk could technically work, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Torment's Reach and Force of Anguish are so useful and Rooting Pain is quite nice when tanking. I feel like you're gimping a lot of the abilities that make a monk unique by getting rid of intelligence. Whatever the case, if you're going to stick to your guns, you're going to want to get Swift Strikes and Turning Wheel, along with Duality of Mortal Presence.

Otherwise, if you want to tank, try looking something like this on an Orlan or a Moon Godlike with less PER/RES:

MIG: 10
CON: 14
DEX: 9
PER: 18
INT: 9
RES: 18

If you're looking to DPS, take a race with a bonus to either dexterity or might and max both of them while dipping into constitution. You can leave the rest at 9's and 10's

Not true, i went for torments reach and force of anguish and i find them very useful, with 18 might it hits for 25 or so, true it only hits one maybe two enemies but so what? how many foes am i likely to hit with 18 intelligence?

The monk class relies on the very sub-optimal strategy of taking wounds to do more damage.

The idea could have worked if the abilities that relied on wounds caused powerful defensive status effects like paralysis... but they do not.  The monk only gets two decent enough defensive abilities, and they don't even use wounds to work.

A missed opportunity.

With that being said, normal is easy enough that your main character can just run away from every fight and let the un-optimized npc companions do the work of killing. So, the class is technically viable.

Edited by Daemonjax

The monk class relies on the very sub-optimal strategy of taking wounds to do more damage.

The idea could have worked if the the abilities that relied on wounds caused powerful defensive status effects like paralysis... but they do not.  The monk only gets two decent enough defensive abilities, and they don't even use wounds to work.

A missed opportunity.

With that being said, normal is easy enough that your main character can just run away from every fight and let the un-optimized npc companions do the work of killing. So, the class is technically viable.

even on highest difficulty you can make a monk work... with a lot of extra effort from other party members...

the question is: why?

fighter, paladin and even barbarian are better tanks

and due to their wound mechanic, they aren't really worth for anything else...

even on highest difficulty you can make a monk work... with a lot of extra effort from other party members...

All true, and there's no good answer to why some classes are designed the way that they are.

I'd also add chanter to the list of better tanks, just because it's a more useful class to have in the party if you're going to have someone stand around to be a meat shield.

Edited by Daemonjax

The idea could have worked if the the abilities that relied on wounds caused powerful defensive status effects like paralysis... but they do not.  The monk only gets two decent enough defensive abilities, and they don't even use wounds to work.

A missed opportunity.

The idea could have worked if the abilities that relied on wounds caused powerful defensive status effects like paralysis... but they do not.  The monk only gets two decent enough defensive abilities, and they don't even use wounds to work.

A missed opportunity.

Try playing with a tank monk lol. Wounds basically reduce to free spells, a knock back and a cone of damage or 1.25 attack speed constantly plus 10% from shock damage. I will conceed that dps monks are weak as hell but to say the class in general is pointless only tells me you havnt played it tanky. Hell the build i posted earlier in this thread both tanks like a boss (soloed the bear cave level 3) and has a dps on par with a rogue maybe even a cipher, every time I cast my cone i do about 20-40 damage. 

The way wounds work is that t is calculated after DR and before things like deflection so as soon as combat gets started i have enough wounds to cast torments reach pretty much once every 1-2 seconds, in fact i can cast it faster than the animation plays some fights. this is combined with a set up that can tank on par with a warrior/paladin.