Druid Spiritform Balance

I have to admit, I was very disappointed when I found that the spiritshift was poorly documented and didn't describe that twelve second duration. But I think it's a fair balance considering how good it is in the early game and how the druid comes into her own as a very powerful spellcaster once she grows out of the form. I don't think it'd be reasonable for the spiritshift to get a buff and for the druid to keep her overall spellcasting prowess.

we are not talking about buffing that low lvl spiritshift, but about you dont lose half your stats at hight lvl when you spiritshift. really is like a spell that reads:

" cast on yourself, -15 to all defenses - 10 dr -12 accurazy -2 all stats and unable to use quick items for 12 seconds."

I rather spiritshif the monsters , seams like a great debuff spell

Edited by Arctic
  • Like 2

Count me in for scaling spiritshift. I'd love to choose abilities at odd levels to improve my spells or spirit form. 

That said, toggling armor is somewhat of a redeeming feature late game. You might be 12% less accurate and do 2.5x less damage, but at least you're attacking 50% faster?

I too would like to see the druid fixed.  Even if the druid has to give up something else for balance reasons.

I dont like useless abilities and if done right they would be awesome.

Also in the dev update 74: http://eternity.obsidian.net/news/update-74-the-mob-rulers-wizards-and-druids-and-our-partnership-with-paradox

It was stated: "Over the course of the game, druids can acquire additional spiritshift forms to give them more options."
Is this possible anymore?

I too would like to see the druid fixed.  Even if the druid has to give up something else for balance reasons.

I dont like useless abilities and if done right they would be awesome.

Also in the dev update 74: http://eternity.obsidian.net/news/update-74-the-mob-rulers-wizards-and-druids-and-our-partnership-with-paradox

It was stated: "Over the course of the game, druids can acquire additional spiritshift forms to give them more options."

Is this possible anymore?

AddTalent Spiritshift_boar

AddTalent Spiritshift_cat

we could mod improved forms and add them but also with console commands xD

i think thats the only way xD

Edited by Arctic

I have to admit, I was very disappointed when I found that the spiritshift was poorly documented and didn't describe that twelve second duration. But I think it's a fair balance considering how good it is in the early game and how the druid comes into her own as a very powerful spellcaster once she grows out of the form. I don't think it'd be reasonable for the spiritshift to get a buff and for the druid to keep her overall spellcasting prowess.

I respectfully disagree, both the spiritshift and spell casting should be powerful and viable options from start to finish, these are the Druids we are talking about after all.

This needs fixing ASAP, it is either a bug or someone intentionally made it useless wrongfully thinking it would somehow "balance" things out in the mid/late game.

Also the additional spiritshift form are nowhere to be found which is obviously an issue considering the previous developer comments.

I'm seriously hoping that this class will be looked at for the upcoming patch release.

Hi , I will mod this for myself but I wanted to ask what do you think about the spirit form.

For what i saw, when you shift you get:

6-10 Dr Armor

22-34 Dual Weapons (quite a lot of damage)

And a per rest hability

2 selectable talents that gives you 30->45 damage  (thats 2 talents for a slash weapon enchantment ... thats normaly 25 but you can find weapons with 50)

I think the per rest is from when spiritshift was per rest, but having spiritshift per encounter and the knowdown from the wolf 2 per rest seams .. weird .. i think it should be per encounter too.

The armor does not imporve with level or talents ... so great for lvl 1 but .. when you start geting armors with +2/4/6 dr  +3 dr againts something ... +2 stats ... second chance ...

The weapons the same ... static ... vs +4/8/12 acurazy 10-50% extra damage ....

As i said .. the lash .. 2 talents instead of enchantment ..

For myself i remove the 12 seconds duration and did it permanent and casteable out of combat. but thats my thing.

Away from that .. i think the spirit form needs to get at least  +2dr,+4 acuracy,+15% melee damage every 4 levels.

and the willstrike should be improved to be just 1 talent with the 45% couse 1 talent for one weapon enchantment feels bad

So .. ill try to mod it but as i said, i want to know what do you think about that.

Edit: Lol! even worse, spiritshift disables ALL your items, magic rings, even the item that improves spaceshifting O.o....

I was testing with a lvl 12 char.. for having the same stats after spiritshift you need:

+6DR,12Acuracy,15 will,ref,fort, 36 deflection, 2 all stats.  (still you will lose all your active item habilites and you will need to use the willstrike talent but .. well .. )

Can you make this mod available to others?

I think it would be cool if Druids had an item in their Grimoire slot which could be enchanted to provide bonuses which apply exclusively to the Spiritshift form. Much like slaying other Wizards grants you access to their Grimoires, slaying other Druids would give you access to their "totems" or whatever, so you could get potential upgrades that way, too (although, naturally, those fights would become proportionally more difficult - they get to use their "totems" in the fight).

• Like 3

I could mod that, yes, but im too busy this week so if i do it it will have to wait.

I use other mods i didnt share but i didnt make the buffed spiritform ( i did the permanent one while testing things but i have to update it to 1.03), the main reason is i dont play druids xDD

But if you want it and if i have time ill do it :p

Edited by Arctic
  • Like 1

Really interesting balance problem here. Did anyone shapeshift a lot in the original I.E. games?

(I tried to make a shifter in NWN but the nature of it was that because I didn't build for it from the getgo I was literally always two levels behind when my shapeshifting would have been useful).

Really interesting balance problem here. Did anyone shapeshift a lot in the original I.E. games?

(I tried to make a shifter in NWN but the nature of it was that because I didn't build for it from the getgo I was literally always two levels behind when my shapeshifting would have been useful).

In baldurs gate not to much, but mainly couse it was bugged and nerfed,(there are mods to make it like p&p) and couse you could not talk while shifted. In pen and paper D&D yes, y change forms all time with druids or psionic characters (psionic metamorfosis is so good ...), even with wizards you can use some cool metamorfosis spells . like the form of the dragon, the slime one ... its not an all time spell but they were great.

Here its just too bad. (Also, in d&d, when you change forms all your items fuse with your new form and you still have all their effects on, but buffed by that metamorfosis effect)

I think spirit shift definitely needs addressed and it would be a simple fix.  Each addition to wildstrike through talents should give an extra spirit shift cast per encounter (giving a total of 3 spirit shifts).  Items also need to carry over such as +int, +might, deflection, and any proc items like Shod-in-faith.  The only items that shouldn't carry over are your armor, weapon, and shield slots and any buffs associated with those.  I would suggest the removal of casting spells while shifted to address these changes and spirit shift druids would be in a really good spot. 

I could mod that, yes, but im too busy this week so if i do it it will have to wait.

I use other mods i didnt share but i didnt make the buffed spiritform ( i did the permanent one while testing things but i have to update it to 1.03), the main reason is i dont play druids xDD

But if you want it and if i have time ill do it :p

That would be great if you could do this!  It will definitely be worth the wait. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently in the 1.05 beta notes nothing yet :( . i was hoping for something but not yet.
Maybe the devs can answer if its somewhere in their road map?

It would be nice if they allowed druids to specialize in either being a better spiritshifter or spellcaster through making choices on which talents you take.

That way neither needs to be nerfed, you pick a play style or combination.

Edited by johnmr531