Controversial Limerick Discussion

"Can we have a mod make a locked, sticky topic for this please? Maybe then, people will stop ranting about it and this PR nightmare can be shut down before it gets any worse."

You fear discussion? Yup. I believe you do. :)

"Everything else is a conspiracy theory in your head because you deny to end this ****storm. It over. Done. Get over it."

TRIGGERED!

It’s not a discussion anymore. The author consented. If anyone should be outraged it was him and nobody else. He isn’t. You are going beyond reason and you will get nowhere because you don’t want to “discuss”, you want people agree with what you feel and nothing else.

• Like 2

Can we have a mod make a locked, sticky topic for this please? Maybe then, people will stop ranting about it and this PR nightmare can be shut down before it gets any worse.

Nothing quiets down a PR nightmare like shutting down discussion of it on the official forums.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

So every single piece of content EXCEPT Firedorn's was vetted? It also says Obsidian agrees with the bull**** "transphobia" crap  "Kill All Men" Eric pushed (because only Eric and his supporters pushed it).

What the hell was this "vetting process" considering a lot of the stuff that got through?

Backer Content
It's come to our attention that a piece of backer-created content has made it into Pillars of Eternity that was not vetted. Once it was brought to our attention, it followed the same vetting process as all of our other content. Prior to release, we worked with many of our backers to iterate on content they asked to be put into the game that didn't strike the right tone.
In the case of this specific content, we checked with the backer who wrote it and asked them about changing it. We respect our backers greatly, and felt it was our duty to include them in the process. They gave us new content which we have used to replace what is in the game. To be clear, we followed the process we would have followed had this content been vetted prior to the release of the product.
We appreciate the faith you have all given us into making Pillars of Eternity the great game that it has become, and we appreciate the strength of conviction all of you bring to every conversation we have together.
Sincerely,
Feargus Urquhart, CEO 
Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.
Edited by deuxhero
Never negotiate. You will only encourage more acts of terror.

"Whoa, okay. When did you guys start another thread on this? And how did it get to 20 pages while I was out having dinner? 

Look, we're fine with you guys talking about this, or whatever you want to talk about (as long as it's not, I don't know, endorsing piracy). But like with everything else, you don't need to start a new thread every time you think you have something so important to say that you need a new thread, instead of posting like everybody else. tongue.png

Continue here:

http://forums.obsidi...cussion/page-26"

========

ZOMG CENSORSHIP NAZI!!!!!!

"Can we have a mod make a locked, sticky topic for this please? Maybe then, people will stop ranting about it and this PR nightmare can be shut down before it gets any worse."

"Everything else is a conspiracy theory in your head because you deny to end this ****storm. It over. Done. Get over it."

TRIGGERED!

Yes, let's continue this mud-slinging after the author himself confirmed that Obsidian put the decision in his hands. Honestly, I keep forgetting that common decency is too much to ask for on forums. Feel free to continue "discussing" the issue with the handful of posters who don't know any better.

Obsidian if you give in this easily, then you get zero respect.  All my suspicions about your company will be confirmed. I hear there are still some men left in Poland, I should move their and drink beer with my polish brothers in anticipation for the Witcher 3.

Edited by luzarius

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Regardless of why it is changed now.  Obsidian now has a huge target on their back for the professionally offended (or whatever you want to call them) after they smell the blood from this.  I expect they are going to get a lot more "problematic" complaints coming up in the future because someone is offended by something.  Josh should have never answered that tweet (then we wouldn't be in this mess now) and as soon as this happened Obsidian should have told them that the game is a harsh world were stuff like this exist and it no way reflects people who created the game beliefs.  Oh, and then flip them off for good measure.  

• Like 1

One thing I dont understand is them saying officially that this was not vetted before (heavily implied it should have been), but would still allow it to stay anyway. This really makes no sense. Official confirmation from Obsidian further clearing this would be nice, especially now that Firedorn gave his 2 cents so there is no need to protect him or his choice (as he made it clear by now).

TRIGGERED!

It’s not a discussion anymore. The author consented. If anyone should be outraged it was him and nobody else. He isn’t. You are going beyond reason and you will get nowhere because you don’t want to “discuss”, you want people agree with what you feel and nothing else.

People are upset that the he was even asked to change it in the first place.

• Like 1

I also, again, remind everyone that even if this was 100% Firedorn's choice, contacting him and implementing this got priority over literally every single bug that remains in the game

• Like 1
Never negotiate. You will only encourage more acts of terror.

They said that your content 'failed their vetting process'. How do you reconcile that? I struggle a lot to reconcile it myself. Why would they even say that if it meant nothing in terms of removing it?

It might suggest Obsidian just didn't notice it could be controversial. Which is a fail in their vetting process, because the current discussion is bad PR & hurting the game - no matter what specific opinion you might have on the subject.

Backer Content
It's come to our attention that a piece of backer-created content has made it into Pillars of Eternity that was not vetted. Once it was brought to our attention, it followed the same vetting process as all of our other content. Prior to release, we worked with many of our backers to iterate on content they asked to be put into the game that didn't strike the right tone.
In the case of this specific content, we checked with the backer who wrote it and asked them about changing it. We respect our backers greatly, and felt it was our duty to include them in the process. They gave us new content which we have used to replace what is in the game. To be clear, we followed the process we would have followed had this content been vetted prior to the release of the product.
We appreciate the faith you have all given us into making Pillars of Eternity the great game that it has become, and we appreciate the strength of conviction all of you bring to every conversation we have together.
Sincerely,
Feargus Urquhart, CEO 
Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.

From Firedorn: I had the choice not to change it. They simply emailed me and asked if I was OK with changing it, but I could choose not to.

From CEO: It failed out vetting process. We have already worked to change ("iterate") other content that didn't strike the right tone. We include backers in this process.

I guess what seems surprising is Firedorn's assertion that it was his choice. 

• Like 2

One thing I dont understand is them saying officially that this was not vetted before (heavily implied it should have been), but would still allow it to stay anyway. This really makes no sense. Official confirmation from Obsidian further clearing this would be nice, especially now that Firedorn gave his 2 cents so there is no need to protect him or his choice (as he made it clear by now).

Who knows, probably slipped through the cracks.  I thought for sure they would have asked it to be changed prior to release.

Screw you Firedorn!

Never rub another man's rhubarb

"Whoa, okay. When did you guys start another thread on this? And how did it get to 20 pages while I was out having dinner? 

Look, we're fine with you guys talking about this, or whatever you want to talk about (as long as it's not, I don't know, endorsing piracy). But like with everything else, you don't need to start a new thread every time you think you have something so important to say that you need a new thread, instead of posting like everybody else. tongue.png

Continue here:

========

Actually, the other thread was linked to by a mod as the place to continue the discussion. Like, mod A closes a thread and links to that one, mod B closes that one and says "how did you start this?"

Moderators at the KiA subreddit just agreed to add Firedorn's post onto the Obsidian Megathread they have there. Things should calm down now, hopefully.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I also, again, remind everyone that even if this was 100% Firedorn's choice, contacting him and implementing this got priority over literally every single bug that remains in the game

Dude, sending some emails doesn't take that long. Besides who's to say it was the programmers that did it? Maybe it was a PR guy.

They said that your content 'failed their vetting process'. How do you reconcile that? I struggle a lot to reconcile it myself. Why would they even say that if it meant nothing in terms of removing it?

It might suggest Obsidian just didn't notice it could be controversial. Which is a fail in their vetting process, because the current discussion is bad PR & hurting the game - no matter what specific opinion you might have on the subject.

Companies that give in don't get any respect.

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Regardless of why it is changed now.  Obsidian now has a huge target on their back for the professionally offended (or whatever you want to call them) after they smell the blood from this.  I expect they are going to get a lot more "problematic" complaints coming up in the future because someone is offended by something.  Josh should have never answered that tweet (then we wouldn't be in this mess now) and as soon as this happened Obsidian should have told them that the game is a harsh world were stuff like this exist and it no way reflects people who created the game beliefs.  Oh, and then flip them off for good measure.  

You've got it so backwards it's not even funny.  The very best way to paint the target is to engage in childish one-uppery.  Obsidian and Firedom responded rather perfectly.  The showed responsiveness to the issue but Firedom also got to express his feeling that this was an overreaction to what was intended as a harmless jest, but which unintentionally offended people.  The overall effect is an honest effort to keep the peace and nobody can fault Obsidian or Firedom for that.  Had they done what you suggest, it would only be throwing gas on the fire.

• Like 1

It's really hard to make sense when you're making **** up in the heat of the moment.

Maybe they didn't notice it was offensive/controversial because it just wasn't in the first place.

Edited by mindswayer
  • Like 1

I hate Unity.

Continue here:

========

Actually, the other thread was linked to by a mod as the place to continue the discussion. Like, mod A closes a thread and links to that one, mod B closes that one and says "how did you start this?"

TRICKSY HOBBITSES!!!!!!!