Controversial Limerick Discussion

"Asked". Meaning "change it or we simply remove it". There was no choice involved for the person.

Actually, there was a choice.  They asked me if I wanted to change in light of what happened.  I chose to change it so that they can concentrate on the game instead of this PR nightmare.  They weren't going to change it, they asked ME if I wanted to.  I can find another platform to write my controversial crap, and I will.  They, on the other hand, did the right thing and allowed me to decide the fate of the epitaph.  I chose to turn into something that made fun of the bitch-bastards that were complaining.

They went above and beyond what I would have expected them to do.

Thank you for confirming this. I think more people need to read this.

• Like 4

I've certainly got a "gamergate" undercurrent from all of this and that's one of the reasons they've tried to do it.

Sadly Obsidian got caught up in the war. A means to an end, nothing more. 

was not caught, obsidian threw self, this drama would not have reached this proportion if Josh Sawyer had not answered this twitter,

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/582200461127634945

I think the better it cuts their thumbs after that.

http://southpark.cc.com/clips/m31v1z/its-called-****ter#source=473fef35-48a7-434c-afc6-207874c7f1a3:afe41162-f914-45ad-a7d6-4f66bfa881de&position=4&sort=playlist

• Like 1

"Asked". Meaning "change it or we simply remove it". There was no choice involved for the person.

Actually, there was a choice.  They asked me if I wanted to change in light of what happened.  I chose to change it so that they can concentrate on the game instead of this PR nightmare.  They weren't going to change it, they asked ME if I wanted to.  I can find another platform to write my controversial crap, and I will.  They, on the other hand, did the right thing and allowed me to decide the fate of the epitaph.  I chose to turn into something that made fun of the bitch-bastards that were complaining.

You're a class act, Firedorn.

Edited by Leandir

You cannot be thanked enough for this. Communication is what this community desperately needed right now.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Okay, so it was a choice. Can you confirm these talks with screenshots or something? Blank out sensitive info.

I find it kind of weird that Obsidian would be 100% okay with this staying but would avoid engaging at all with their backers about it in the first place.

I would like to ask you this, though: was offering this as a toggle a choice at any point? So that non-backers who didn't buy the game could remove whatever offended them and others could keep the game as it is?

Also, is there a reason why Obsidian has not been upfront about this?

Edited by Fenrir007
  • Like 1

Thanks for confirming Firedorn, I doubt this will cool the fires of the controversy but it's better than nothing. And if it means anything I enjoy both memorials.

• Like 1

Can someone save this glorious post as an image?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

This is what they should have said in the first place even in their kickstarter.

Thank you for that. I am not really happy regarding you changing it but if this was your free will its acceptable and the fact that Obsidian wanted you to decide is totally ok.  Thank you for this statement.

• Like 2

Sonuvabitch, you do exist.

As previously stated, I offer you a hearty handshake.  You're a bigger, more based man than I.

• Like 2

Okay, so it was a choice. Can you confirm these talks with screenshots or something? Blank out sensitive info.

I find it kind of weird that Obsidian would be 100% okay with this staying but would avoid engaging at all with their backers about it in the first place.

I would like to ask you this, though: was offering this as a toggle a choice at any point? So that non-backers who didn't buy the game could remove whatever offended them and others could keep the game as it is?

You will have to take my word for it.  I have no problems saying what's on my mind, as can be attested to, so I have no reason to BS.  It was collaborative.  There were emails back and forth and I don't have the inclination to start taking screenies and editing images.

Second, to clarify, they asked me if I wanted to change it in light of what was happening.  I didn't even ask "what if I say no?".  I immediately volunteered to do it.

Third, developing a software mechanism to allow users to turn them off and on is a lot tougher/longer than changing some data files.  I am a software developer, so I can imagine what's involved.

And finally, I'm just assuming here, but Obsidian didn't want to say anything final until it was all done.  Most companies don't want to declare anything as final until it's done.

Edited by Firedorn
  • Like 7

Screw you Firedorn!

Never rub another man's rhubarb

You will have to take my word for it.  I have no problems saying what's on my mind, as can be attested to, so I have no reason to BS.  It was collaborative.  There were emails back and forth and I don't have the inclination to start taking screenies and editing images.

Second, to clarify, they asked me if I wanted to change it in light of what was happening.  I didn't even ask "what if I say no?".  I immediately volunteered to do it.

Third, developing a software mechanism to allow users to turn them off and on is a lot tougher/longer than changing some data files.  I am a software developer, so I can imagine what's involved.

And finally, I'm just assuming here, but Obsidian didn't want to say anything final until it was all done.  Most companies don't want to declare anything as final until it's done.

No need for it but honestly It would have been gone much better if they also released a  statement with their kickstarter message. Now there was outrage for nothing. Glad you cleared it up and restored my Faith in Obsidian as well. 

I'll lose all respect for Obsidian if they remove this limerick from the game.  Some dude accidentally sleeps with a shemale and kills himself, LOL this is hilarious, how can anyone not see the humor in this. If Obsidian lets a dude in a dress initimidate them, then all hope in man is lost.

Obsidian, there are many men still left in the world, don't give in to the weak.

I enjoy your risky, vulgar, non-politically correct writing.

Edited by luzarius
  • Like 1

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

They may have told you you had a choice Firedorn but you really didn't.  That limerick of yours was being changed no matter what once the ****storm started. This is just a way for them to save face. The decision to make the limerick change was made the moment Sawyer reacted to it on twitter.

• Like 2

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

As much as I hate the fact that it was changed, and wish that it didn't have to be, I'd still like to thank you for it.

Like you say, this was a PR nightmare, and there's no way that with the video games business being the way it is that this could have stood. The moment this starts getting spun that 'Obsidian is transphobic', no publisher is going to have anything to do with them, and the big games sites will rake them over the coals non-stop. Obsidian isn't in a powerful position, stuff like this can ruin them.

It sucks that stuff like this can bring such harm to a company. But for all those people saying boycott Obsidian, just realise that there may not have been an Obsidian down the road if they didn't cave and try to get ahead of this.

Still sucks though.

• Like 4

Well, that's all I needed to hear.  I've always supported Obsidian, they are one of my favorite developers.  This concerned me, but you cleared it up.  

They may have told you you had a choice Firedorn but you really didn't.  That limerick of yours was being changed no matter what once the ****storm started. This is just a way for them to save face. The decision to make the limerick change was made the moment Sawyer reacted to it on twitter.

Possibly, but I don't see it that way.  I didn't even let it come to that part of the discussion, knowing that they may just have said "Too bad, so sad".  They have better things to do than deal with visibly insane individuals.  It was not even their writing/material.  The way I see it, I got to write something controversial and then got to publicly insult some people who didn't like it.

While I would have preferred for the original to stay, there are worse things in life.  I just think Obisdian's energy would be best spent elsewhere.

• Like 12

Screw you Firedorn!

Never rub another man's rhubarb

Can we have a mod make a locked, sticky topic for this please? Maybe then, people will stop ranting about it and this PR nightmare can be shut down before it gets any worse.

Also, don't badger Firedorn. He doesn't need to show screen shots or proof of anything, have the decency to let it drop.

Edited by View619
  • Like 1

Firedorn, I got your back and loved your Limerick, don't let anyone initmidate you. I'd gladly fight by you side by side in a bloody fist fight to protect your 1st amendement rights. 

• Like 2

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

If he said they asked him and he accepted, case closed. Everything else is a conspiracy theory in your head because you deny to end this ****storm. It over. Done. Get over it.

"Can we have a mod make a locked, sticky topic for this please? Maybe then, people will stop ranting about it and this PR nightmare can be shut down before it gets any worse."

You fear discussion? Yup. I believe you do. :)

"Everything else is a conspiracy theory in your head because you deny to end this ****storm. It over. Done. Get over it."

TRIGGERED!

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 2

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

They said that your content 'failed their vetting process'. How do you reconcile that? I struggle a lot to reconcile it myself. Why would they even say that if it meant nothing in terms of removing it?

It would help a lot if you posted the emails. 

• Like 1

"Can we have a mod make a locked, sticky topic for this please? Maybe then, people will stop ranting about it and this PR nightmare can be shut down before it gets any worse."

You fear discussion? Yup. I believe you do. :)

"Everything else is a conspiracy theory in your head because you deny to end this ****storm. It over. Done. Get over it."

TRIGGERED!

Closing a topic thread and discouraging a discussion is what North Korea would do.

I swear if Obsidian gives in to some dude in a dress, I will lose all respect for western gaming companies.

CDProject would never give in to something like this.

Edited by luzarius

Well damn.. then why the heck didn't Obsidian just make this clear in their Backer Update then. Would have avoided this entire backlash ....

• Like 1

You did well. The new poem is really good and I personally really like how it takes a stab at those who whined so much about it being offensive. However, I'd just like to tell you not to feel disencouraged about writing controversial ****, wherever it is. This was none of your fault m8.

• Like 1

I hate Unity.

Awesome, thank you for clarifying.  This massively changes my opinion of the situation.