Controversial Limerick Discussion

1ba3d7be3b.png

Glad to know Obsidian can listen to such wonderfully level headed individuals and their rightful outrage for jokes.

At least you asked the backer, it is more than I expect from most companies, but that you still change it kinda dissapoints me...

"Asked". Meaning "change it or we simply remove it". There was no choice involved for the person.

• Like 3

1ba3d7be3b.png

Glad to know Obsidian can listen to such wonderfully level headed individuals and their rightful outrage for jokes.

At least you asked the backer, it is more than I expect from most companies, but that you still change it kinda dissapoints me...

Wow, hadn't seen that. But I think it's remarkably unfair to add the Obsidian logo to it - I'm sure any backers in general have said some stupid things on the internet.

These people shouldn't be listened to at all though, there is a small minority on sites like Twitter and tumblr who find minor **** like this to be offended about and then complain about it - purely only online - only because they get off on the power. I think the most high profile one recently was bullying Matt Taylor because he wore a tshirt they didn't like - after he'd played an important part in landing a probe on a frickin asteroid.

I'd hate to have the outlook on life a lot of these people have, they seem to look for ways to be offended because it makes them feel better for some reason. It's bizarre, how can they enjoy anything?

So the SJW nazis who hate women, minorities, men, and everything else get their way again.  These evil punks are about power, control, and slavery.

How long til we see 'outrage' about husband murder,  referring to women as 'fire whores', rape, racism, and a whole bunch of other nasty stuff?

DOES. NOT. MAKE. SENSE.

These people have no morals.

They aren't about equality. I AM ABOUT EQUALITY. Why is Obsidian anti equality?

• Like 4

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'd hate to have the outlook on life a lot of these people have, they seem to look for ways to be offended because it makes them feel better for some reason. It's bizarre, how can they enjoy anything?

Do not. Their outrage is to feel themselves justified in order to enforce their authoritarian views in others, because that is the only thing they enjoy. Knowing that a few tweets and some faked outrage managed to change Obsidian. 

Take a peek at her response, now she feels powerful that she made Obsidian change something, it was never about trans people, it was ever about outrage, it is about making a company backpedal to their desires. Do not pity them.

• Like 5

Do not. Their outrage is to feel themselves justified in order to enforce their authoritarian views in others, because that is the only thing they enjoy. Knowing that a few tweets and some faked outrage managed to change Obsidian. 

Take a peek at her response, now she feels powerful that she made Obsidian change something, it was never about trans people, it was ever about outrage, it is about making a company backpedal to their desires. Do not pity them.

I've certainly got a "gamergate" undercurrent from all of this and that's one of the reasons they've tried to do it.

• Like 1

This left me an extremely bad taste in my mouth, and here is why:

1- Obsidian didn't even have the guts to stand by its decision and announce it in the patch notes. They went the extra mile to hide this change from us despite the very big thread on these forums and on social media elsewhere;

2- They caved in to a very loud minority who are not only perpetually offended, but clearly have an agenda to push that relegates the games themselves to a footnote. The fact they partake in this # KillAllMen nonsense (which is totally a joke, guys! Seriously! Just look at their social media history - they totes don't mean it!) is icing on the cake;

3- They refused to listen to the gaming community. The LARGE majority of the people in the Obsidian forums were in favor of no censorship of any kind (many of which were backers, like myself). The LARGE majority on twitter were also in favor of keeping things as they are. Caving in to zealots who most likely didn't even buy your game (and probably won't even buy it now) doesn't seem like a good business decision;

4- They never addressed the community. They never stepped in to explain to us WHY they caved in if most were in favor of keeping it. They told us NOTHING. I feel like being spit in my face after trusting in Obsidian by pledging on their Kickstarter (which is, let me remind you all, a trust based plataform). Weren't we supposed to be part of the process? Was that just snake oil being sold, damned the backers once you got our money? 

5- There was already a mod made by an user to remove the sacrilegious content, so no further action was necessary! Those who needed to butcher the game could have done so on their own accord;

6- Other alternatives also existed, like toggles - a suggestion many would be fully behind, especially if it included an option to remove ALL backer content, which some people have been asking for. Despite this, Obsidian chose to simply impose the will of the censorious minority on everyone.

This really makes me rethink if I should continue supporting Obsidian from here on. If non-gamers will be empowered to simply scream to the top of their lungs based on something they misinterpreted in the first place and change MY experience, then perhaps it's better if I look elsewhere for my RPG fix.

You already have my money this time, but things may not be the same next time around. The internet never forgets this kind of thing.

They don't have to explain themselves to anyone except the person affected.  It does not affect the game in shape whatsoever, so why do they need to put into the patch notes?  Self entitled people round here are as bad as the stupid moron on twitter who started all this.

1- Obsidian didn't even have the guts to stand by its decision and announce it in the patch notes. They went the extra mile to hide this change from us despite the very big thread on these forums and on social media elsewhere;

2- They caved in to a very loud minority who are not only perpetually offended, but clearly have an agenda to push that relegates the games themselves to a footnote. The fact they partake in this # KillAllMen nonsense (which is totally a joke, guys! Seriously! Just look at their social media history - they totes don't mean it!) is icing on the cake;

3- They refused to listen to the gaming community. The LARGE majority of the people in the Obsidian forums were in favor of no censorship of any kind (many of which were backers, like myself). The LARGE majority on twitter were also in favor of keeping things as they are. Caving in to zealots who most likely didn't even buy your game (and probably won't even buy it now) doesn't seem like a good business decision;

4- They never addressed the community. They never stepped in to explain to us WHY they caved in if most were in favor of keeping it. They told us NOTHING. I feel like being spit in my face after trusting in Obsidian by pledging on their Kickstarter (which is, let me remind you all, a trust based plataform). Weren't we supposed to be part of the process? Was that just snake oil being sold, damned the backers once you got our money? 

5- There was already a mod made by an user to remove the sacrilegious content, so no further action was necessary! Those who needed to butcher the game could have done so on their own accord;

6- Other alternatives also existed, like toggles - a suggestion many would be fully behind, especially if it included an option to remove ALL backer content, which some people have been asking for. Despite this, Obsidian chose to simply impose the will of the censorious minority on everyone.

This really makes me rethink if I should continue supporting Obsidian from here on. If non-gamers will be empowered to simply scream to the top of their lungs based on something they misinterpreted in the first place and change MY experience, then perhaps it's better if I look elsewhere for my RPG fix.

You already have my money this time, but things may not be the same next time around. The internet never forgets this kind of thing.

They don't have to explain themselves to anyone except the person affected.  It does not affect the game in shape whatsoever, so why do they need to put into the patch notes?  Self entitled people round here are as bad as the stupid moron on twitter who started all this.

The fact that we are BACKERS and we didn't feel there was any need to remove it as demonstrated in these very forums warranted, at the very least, an honest discussion with us regarding this before the removal.

They could also address why they opted to remove it instead of the many alternatives, like promoting with the means of a sticky of the user-made mod that removes it or adding a toggle to remove triggering content.

It would be nice if they explained HOW that was offensive as well, considering it got past their veto process before (and its insulting to our intelligence to tell us it simply got past their checks).

I don't know, being the very people who made this game a possibility makes me think they could at the very least be open with us, and establish some dialogue instead of appeasing people who are not even backers of this game (as evidenced by those twitter misandrists not even having forum accounts here).

It's even more insulting that they NEVER allowed us to toggle off ALL backer content as widely requested before by people who actually owns the game, but will listen to a twitter hatemob at the drop of a hat.

By the way, we were ALL affected by this. Not sure if you realize, but the patch changes the content of the game we all have installed.

Edited by Fenrir007

I've certainly got a "gamergate" undercurrent from all of this and that's one of the reasons they've tried to do it.

Sadly Obsidian got caught up in the war. A means to an end, nothing more. 

I've never interacted with the chick (?) who made the complaint and she me blocked because I follow Adam Baldwin and Mark Kern on the twitters i guess.

Meh, not GG, this is not a Journalism site after all. As I see it at least this is part of a bigger problem, related to GG, but, "another tentacle of the beast" so to speak.

Edited by Bayzent

Snipped

The fact that we are BACKERS and we didn't feel there was any need to remove it as demonstrated in these very forums warranted, at the very least, an honest discussion with us regarding this before the removal.

They could also address why they opted to remove it instead of the many alternatives, like promoting with the means of a sticky of the user-made mod that removes it or adding a toggle to remove triggering content.

It would be nice if they explained HOW that was offensive as well, considering it got past their veto process before (and its insulting to our intelligence to tell us it simply got past their checks).

I don't know, being the very people who made this game a possibility makes me think they could at the very least be open with us, and establish some dialogue instead of appeasing people who are not even backers of this game (as evidenced by those twitter misandrists not even having forum accounts here).

It's even more insulting that they NEVER allowed us to toggle off ALL backer content as widely requested before by people who actually owns the game, but will listen to a twitter hatemob at the drop of a hat.

By the way, we were ALL affected by this. Not sure if you realize, but the patch changes the content of the game we all have installed.

Oh so because you're a backer, that makes you entitled does it?   I'm sorry, I forgot being a backer meant you had direct input into the business of Obsidian and what happens to the game.  As for content, meaningless, irrelevant and would not change the game in the slightest if it was never there.

More vocal minority.  we are not all affected...as I never bothered reading any of them anyway as I'm sure plenty of other 'backers' didn't care about them either.

You pledged to get the game made.  You got the game.  That's about as far as your entitlement goes I'm afraid.

Edited by Maviarab
  • Like 1

Snipped

Oh so because you're a backer, that makes you entitled does it?   I'm sorry, I forgot being a backer meant you had direct input into the business of Obsidian and what happens to the game.  As for content, meaningless, irrelevant and would not change the game in the slightest if it was never there.

You pledged to get the game made.  You got the game.  That's about as far as your entitlement goes I'm afraid.

Yep.  Backers doesnt equal shareholders.  

• Like 1

Snipped

More vocal minority.  we are not all affected...as I never bothered reading any of them anyway as I'm sure plenty of other 'backers' didn't care about them either.

Actually, it said on the backer page that you would have direct input into the game. 

And actually, it was said that those who backed with certain amounts was entitled to have a message placed in the game. Subject to a vetting process, which by all probability was passed (it's extremely unlikely that they vetted all the other messages but simply copy-and-pasted this one without looking at it)

• Like 1

Okay, but here's the thing. Even if the majority of backers agree to have it kept, the one backer who actually paid for the pledge agreed to change it, and it was his or her money, not anyone else's. It'd be like if I bought a game, and through majority vote the community gets to decide what I do with it.

Changing some text in a memorial isn't a big deal, in terms of man-hours. Changing all backer content to be togglable can be a nightmare in terms of programming, especially when there are other bugs to fix. Even just changing the text caused the entire memorial to teleport to a different area.

And I wasn't affected by this, because I don't read any of the memorials because I realized that they have nothing to do with the game or any of the content, aside from being a pat on the back to backers.

• Like 1

"Asked". Meaning "change it or we simply remove it". There was no choice involved for the person.

Actually, there was a choice.  They asked me if I wanted to change in light of what happened.  I chose to change it so that they can concentrate on the game instead of this PR nightmare.  They weren't going to change it, they asked ME if I wanted to.  I can find another platform to write my controversial crap, and I will.  They, on the other hand, did the right thing and allowed me to decide the fate of the epitaph.  I chose to turn into something that made fun of the bitch-bastards that were complaining.

They went above and beyond what I would have expected them to do.

All hail.

All hail.

• Like 3

Okay, but here's the thing. Even if the majority of backers agree to have it kept, the one backer who actually paid for the pledge agreed to change it, and it was his or her money, not anyone else's. It'd be like if I bought a game, and through majority vote the community gets to decide what I do with it.

Sooo...if I had backed to get my memorial I can just decide to email Obsidian every week with a new one and they should be forced to change it because I paid for it?

You just don't get it do you?  

Nope, and apparently won't

Edited by Bayzent

Yep.  Backers doesnt equal shareholders.  

Yet apparently twitter warriors does.

You just don't get it do you?  

Oh, but he does. He is ABSOLUTELY right. They changed the text because some manhater TOLD THEM to change it. DEMANDED them to change it. In fact, Twarriors have MORE power than the poeple who actually FUNDED the game. So in a way he didn't get it. They are not equal shareholders, they are MAJORITY shareholders.

• Like 5

“Here lies Firedorn, a hero in bed.

“He once was alive, but now he’s dead.

“The last woman he bedded, turned out a man

“And crying in shame, off a cliff he ran.”

Firedorn. Bard, transmysogynistic scatlord, skeleton.